WR Coach Dixon to the Ravens

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Calvin can't coach until he has a degree. I'm not sure where he is at on finishing that up he was definitely doing it until he got sidetracked by some things.
He can't have his number retired until he has his degree. Where did you get your information on that being a requirement? And to me it's a moot point simply because the great players are very seldom decent coaches.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
He can't have his number retired until he has his degree. Where did you get your information on that being a requirement? And to me it's a moot point simply because the great players are very seldom decent coaches.
You have to have a degree to coach in college more specifically all the postings seem to require a masters. He could coach in the pros no problem

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You have to have a degree to coach in college more specifically all the postings seem to require a masters. He could coach in the pros no problem
I don't believe it's a requirement. For instance, Brent Key's bio only mentions a bachelor's degree.

"To simply answer the aforementioned question – no. One is not going to need a master’s degree to become a collegiate coach. They may not need any degrees. Even though the eligibility criteria varies, educational background tends to carry very little weight."

slugboy

Staff member
It’s unusual for an applicant to satisfy all “requirements” in a job posting. Some are hard requirements and some less important. When a candidate does tick every box, they’re often “overqualified”.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It’s unusual for an applicant to satisfy all “requirements” in a job posting. Some are hard requirements and some less important. When a candidate does tick every box, they’re often “overqualified”.
If it isn't required, the job posting should use the word "desired" or some such. A requirement is a requirement.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don't believe it's a requirement. For instance, Brent Key's bio only mentions a bachelor's degree.

"To simply answer the aforementioned question – no. One is not going to need a master’s degree to become a collegiate coach. They may not need any degrees. Even though the eligibility criteria varies, educational background tends to carry very little weight."

That may be true but we we posted an open posting the degree had masters required on it not recommended.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The contracts are for 22&23.

Correct. This is 22. They give the new hires a two year contract as consolation for the fact that they are likely going to be hunting a new job in 23. Not an uncommon occurrence, similar to extending a HC for a couple of years every few years for recruiting purposes. The coaches coming in aren't stupid, and are very aware they might only be here for a year. They negotiate for a two year contract to help ease the landing for them.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Correct. This is 22. They give the new hires a two year contract as consolation for the fact that they are likely going to be hunting a new job in 23. Not an uncommon occurrence, similar to extending a HC for a couple of years every few years for recruiting purposes. The coaches coming in aren't stupid, and are very aware they might only be here for a year. They negotiate for a two year contract to help ease the landing for them.
Further clarification to my previous post, their contracts expire June 30, 2024.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He’s an assistant to a position coach. Here’s Baltimore’s coaching roster. A lot of the names should look really familiar to anyone who has followed Tech football for a while.
From my comfortable spot behind an iPad, it's hard to give a really clear answer. It seems like a "learn from an NFL offensive coach for a short while" position. It also seems like "Kerry's a good sharp guy, an up-and-comer, and let's find a spot for him while we figure out where to put him" position. From there, it's either a move to a better/bigger college job or a better/bigger NFL job.
(The Ravens also seem less screwed up than the Falcons, so there’s that)
I

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Further clarification to my previous post, their contracts expire June 30, 2024.
I have a couple of friends close to a major football program. I would not be a football coach for all the money .. but wait. All they talk about off the field is money, and "forget what you hear about loyalty and how they love the campus. Wave more money at them and they are gone, just like that.

Those assistants live like nomads, gone from a seemngly safe job with the prevailing winds, buying houses for their families based almost solely on potential resale speed, and unlike hires in the civilian world, must make instant decisions and show up at the next job within days, leaving families behind to catch up later. A surprising number buy the houses vacated by their predecessor and count on similar arrangements when they leave.

Andf most hang in for two reasons: the next job will pay them more money, and there is alwaysthe dream of being a head ball coach.

You can keep those jobs for my part.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Another way GC may bleed us. Having to hire new coaches to replace coaches he "loses" ,with an extra sweetner for a very possible bad future.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Another way GC may bleed us. Having to hire new coaches to replace coaches he "loses" ,with an extra sweetner for a very possible bad future.
So people howl because he had assistants who folks say they can't coach, yet when they leave/fired and are upgraded, people also complain? :banghead:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
So people howl because he had assistants who folks say they can't coach, yet when they leave/fired and are upgraded, people also complain? :banghead:
How do you know it is an upgrade?(we just hope for that) I'm just saying my bet is they getting AT LEAST as much as the leaving coach risk" and then having to add a "risk" yr to entice them to come.