Worst losses (and best wins) of CPJ Era?

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
Wins
5) Clemson 2011 or FSU 2008
4) VT 2009
3) UGA 2016
2) UGA 2014
1) UGA 2008

Losses
5) MTSU
4) UVA 2017
3) Kansas 2010
2) UT 2017
1) Duke 2017

[Footnote: 2017 has been the most disappointing year of GT football that I can recall - and my recall goes back to the '70s.]

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Do you mean 2012? They were 10-1 at the time. In 2013 we were both 7-4, and that UGA team was not one of the best.

There you go taking advantage of my advanced state of "sometimers" some times I remember and sometimes I don't. Yes sir, you are correct it was 2012 the year they almost beat Alabama in the SEC Championship game and most assuredly would have beaten Notre Dame for the national title. They were just that close. Awesome talent on that team that did not always play to their potential but they looked good against us.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Worst non-mutt loss of the CPJ Era IMO. Only because we had the world football stage to ourselves and shat the bed to the worst UT team in the past half century. A real tone setter for our season, unfortunately.

Yes it was but it was at least entertaining and UT was expected to be pretty good. From a performance standpoint it is hard to beat 2017 Duke or the Middle Tennessee fiasco. That bowl game in 2010 against Air Force was pretty bad too. It is hard to believe we lost that UT game after running up over what? 600 yards total offense. It did indeed set the tone for this year.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Worst non-mutt loss of the CPJ Era IMO. Only because we had the world football stage to ourselves and shat the bed to the worst UT team in the past half century. A real tone setter for our season, unfortunately.

The Dooley era teams were worse. Oh, this is a bad UT team, even if Butchie had some great recruiting classes so it should have talent. But those Dooley teams ... ugh.
Saturday's loss to Duke was bad because we really should have beaten them soundly with a performance that was half as good as the one against Va Tech. But it wasn't even a tenth of the Va Tech performance. As was posted previously, Duke thrashed a Northwestern team that is now ranked (Northwestern also beat Iowa, which whipped Ohio State). But how a team that hadn't done anything on offense for nearly two months looks like the New England Patriots a week after we throttle Va Tech is absolutely head scratching and confounding.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
AT LEAST everyone here admits 2010 was Kansas and not Kansas State.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
2013 UGA was pretty bad but they had a great team and we were kind of middling so it was expected. I was pleasantly surprised we were able to move the ball on them as much as we did that day. That team was the best one UGA has had in this century except perhaps, the current one. We will see.
We had a freakin 20 point lead. I’ve never been more upset when Tech lost than I was after hat game. The Tennessee game was close...in both cases we pretty much had to do everything possible to lose...and did.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
We had a freakin 20 point lead. I’ve never been more upset when Tech lost than I was after hat game. The Tennessee game was close...in both cases we pretty much had to do everything possible to lose...and did.
You are quite right. That was the game we came out throwing, I think, and got the 20 point lead. The game we were so badly over matched was 2012 against the UGA team that played for the SEC Championship. Blowing a 20 point lead is pretty bad.

Jmonty71

Banned
MTSU was embarrassing. However; I think losing to Dook, this year ranks in the top 5. We should of whipped them. Instead we came out flat. Much like the UVA game. This has been a Dr Jekyll / Mr Hyde type season.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Nobody lists the 16 Vt game.It is maybe in the" most surprising" type as we were going ON THE ROAD vs a ranked vt team playing WITHOUT our 3 yr QB. Us beating uga on this SAT is less surprising to me.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This same "bad" duke team could easily be 9-2 if like us, had bounces the other way. They also have a better win than us with Northwestern. 2014 uga should be a top 5 win

That is a good point but after viewing Duke vs UNC and Duke vs Army, I am inclined to believe that yes this is a pretty bad Duke team even though it is coached by one of the best in Cutliffe.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We were favored by 7 over Duke last weekend. Sure, Vegas isn't the ultimate decider, but folks really must have had an inflated view of our team this year for that to be anywhere near a top 5 loss all-time, imo, unless you just think margin of victory was a real decider.

I can't think of all of them off hand, but I'm sure we've lost more than 5 games where we were favored by more... 2009 Georgia, @ Kansas, MTSU, come to mind immediately.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We were favored by 7 over Duke last weekend. Sure, Vegas isn't the ultimate decider, but folks really must have had an inflated view of our team this year for that to be anywhere near a top 5 loss all-time, imo, unless you just think margin of victory was a real decider.

I can't think of all of them off hand, but I'm sure we've lost more than 5 games where we were favored by more... 2009 Georgia, @ Kansas, MTSU, come to mind immediately.
Wouldn’t be on the list if it wasn’t as embarrassing of a showing as it was. It had the looks of a team that gave up in an important game. I think that’s what’s upsetting everyone.