Work Horses: The Truth Beneath The Glory

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Published on Dec 7, 2015
Work Horses is a feature film based on the journey of a college athlete who finds the courage to stand up. Based on real events.

I'm posting this under the GT Football thread because a lot of our players are sharing this video to Facebook.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This will ultimately destroy the college football game as we know it. I think those that want to get paid should form their own semi professional league and arrange a pay for play league/business for all those young men who feel they are being mistreated under the current arrangement. You would discover that less than 20% of those currently participating would opt for this arrangement vs. the current college system. I think this would satisfy those that feel like they need to be compensated for playing but still allow those who enjoy the current arrangement to get an education and play the sport they love.

That sort of system would take the steam out of the factory programs like Ohio State, Alabama and Georgia. It would greatly benefit schools like Tech, Syracuse, Vanderbilt and the Service academies. I think ESPN and others like the NFL should take the initiative to form a pay for play minor league professional system, so we can get on with it and not have to listen to all this belly aching, bitching and whining.

Go Jackets!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This will ultimately destroy the college football game as we know it. I think those that want to get paid should form their own semi professional league and arrange a pay for play league/business for all those young men who feel they are being mistreated under the current arrangement. You would discover that less than 20% of those currently participating would opt for this arrangement vs. the current college system. I think this would satisfy those that feel like they need to be compensated for playing but still allow those who enjoy the current arrangement to get an education and play the sport they love.

That sort of system would take the steam out of the factory programs like Ohio State, Alabama and Georgia. It would greatly benefit schools like Tech, Syracuse, Vanderbilt and the Service academies. I think ESPN and others like the NFL should take the initiative to form a pay for play minor league professional system, so we can get on with it and not have to listen to all this belly aching, bitching and whining.

Go Jackets!
I couldn't agree more. An even better solution, imho, would be to take the entire of college athletics down to the Div 3 level and make the pro leagues pay for developing their own players rather then the taxpayer. But that's a full scale non-starter.

So it this, of course. That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea, just that, sooner or later, we'll end up recognizing athlete's unions and paying them something for their work. The reason for that is that synthetic (that's me) and real alums will continue to want to see college football in it's present form. Too bad, but there it is.

Gtyellowjackets

Jolly Good Fellow
The SA's are currently being given a stipend. So not having money for food is not at issue anymore.

I do agree with some sort of health care coverage. I just had rotator cuff surgery in February for an injury suffered as an SA (non revenue sport) at GT years ago. But knew it was a risk and chose to play the sport anyway. And I got part of my education paid for.

The implication of anything more is owed to the SA is unreasonable to me.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I don't believe they should have a salary, but I do believe that all everyday expenses should be paid for. Insurance or workmans comp, food, transportation service, room and board, and maybe some other small expenses

Squints

Helluva Engineer
This will ultimately destroy the college football game as we know it.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

You would discover that less than 20% of those currently participating would opt for this arrangement vs. the current college system.

Do you have a source for that number? If that other arrangement offered a legitimate path to the NFL I think that the number would be significantly higher than that.

I think ESPN and others like the NFL should take the initiative to form a pay for play minor league professional system, so we can get on with it and not have to listen to all this belly aching, bitching and whining.

Why in the hell would they ever do that? They have a 100% free farm system in college football. They couldn't care less about anyone's bitching.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
IMO - take the coaches with the highest graduation rates in D1 football, and let them come up with a solution. They are the ones having success with student athletes, and they are close to the players. Let them solve the problem.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Haha, what constitutes a synthetic alum?
It's an old ND term coined when "subway alumni" got dated. It means you are a fan like you actually graduated (or even took classes) from a school. I've been a Tech fan since I was about 5, but I've never even entered a classroom building. I'm about as synthetic as you can get.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
In reply to Squints:

Yes I like college football just the way it is. It would suit me if they would just leave things the way they are. It's a great game.

I base my numbers on the following; there are 120 or so Division One college teams with approximately 100 guys on each roster. That comes to 120,000 guys playing. There are 32 professional football teams each with a 53 man roster. That means at any given time there are 1,696 guys playing pro football. That means 1.4% of the guys playing college football will be able to make a living playing pro football. Now this does not count the lower college Divisions who are also competing for some of these pro positions and I realize that the pros have practice squads that offer limited earnings to a few more guys, but in general the math actually represents a lot less than the 20% number I mentioned in my earlier post. I think you would see a lot more kids try this route than the low numbers that this math concludes would actual be able to be successful doing it. In other words more would try out and be cut than would actually be able to participate. They might lose their college eligibility in that pursuit but perhaps there would be a way to go the college route for those that tried and failed initially.

I know most all these kids think they can play in the league one day but in reality there are so few opportunities to do so that the hope of a quality education is therre best hope to succeed in life. I know this flys in the face of all the recruiting services and football factory coaches who preach to these teen age boys that they are all going to be playing on Sunday, but the facts are very very very few of them will ever get that chance. It's kind of like all the kids that think they are going to be rock stars some day. It's a one in a million shot. Best take a big drink of reality juice before they end up heart broken and dead broke.

As far as ESPN, they want content. Any thing that they can put on TV or any other media platform and gain a paid subscriber and advertisers with, they will do it. As for the NFL, a minor league organization would give them total product control and allow them to manage their product from cradle to grave. They would not necessarily need to make a profit on this aspect of it, the real money would be in the finished product for the few years they would have them on the field.

My Obamacare reference was an attempt at humor. I have younger children and they are paying more now for health care than they were before the ACA as am I. I hope somebody is benefitting, I just have not meet anyone that is.

Go Jackets!

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
If you pay players, then they have to start paying taxes. Can you imagine trying to come up with the taxes owed for the value of the " full cost of attendance". Players would get a quick lesson on how to use the " long form ". They would also prob not graduate dept free. They will have " student loans" taken out to pay the taxes owed. That would be perfect, first the ncaa and then inject the irs into college sports... Affordable health care act. It sucks if your the one actually paying for your insurance, if your the ones who have the govt take money from someone else to pay for yours , then I guess its " affordable". My coverage cost increased 8K and my coverage is worse. Like anything , when govt gets involved its going to cost more for less. Paying players ( legally) in my opinion would destroy college sports.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My coverage cost increased 8K and my coverage is worse.
Wow. All I know is I was paying over 12,000 a year and that amount dropped by about 9K and I now have dental coverage too which I did not have before.

I have two friends, each small business owners, and neither of whom could even afford health insurance before, who now have full coverage -one for about $200 a month and one for about $45 a month.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If you pay players, then they have to start paying taxes. Can you imagine trying to come up with the taxes owed for the value of the " full cost of attendance". Players would get a quick lesson on how to use the " long form ". They would also prob not graduate dept free. They will have " student loans" taken out to pay the taxes owed. That would be perfect, first the ncaa and then inject the irs into college sports... Affordable health care act. It sucks if your the one actually paying for your insurance, if your the ones who have the govt take money from someone else to pay for yours , then I guess its " affordable". My coverage cost increased 8K and my coverage is worse. Like anything , when govt gets involved its going to cost more for less. Paying players ( legally) in my opinion would destroy college sports.
Mac, my main concern is the fact that several of our players are sharing this video on their Facebook pages. I'm not naive but I hate to think that this video/subject will have a negative affect on the locker room.