Wonder where this puts Kelly Quinlan

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
Sounds like BG was out until something or someone made MBob change his mind over the weekend. We all know he was trying to raise funds last week for the two buyouts. Did he fail to raise the funds? Did the President step in and say no? MBob's quotes yesterday were terrible. BG is going to be coaching on an island. We have a number of scholarships available for 2016. Who would come to GT knowing the Coach is on a short leash? This will set us back multiple years...

If it was a money decision, it was one of the worst business decisions I've ever seen. Two buyouts (an extra mil or so to the bottom line) vs. putting a non competitive team on the floor that could cost multiple millions in potential losses for years to come?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind Kelly doesn't work for GTAA. He has nothing to do with them. He is an independent, outside party, employed by a media company. He's under no obligation to promulgate anyone from the school or the GTAA's own propaganda. It could have very well have been someone in the athletics office he knows well or even a booster he may know well who told him, hey, there's some conversations going on and it looks like BG is out. He's going on what his sources are telling him. Now, it's up to Kelly to know just how close his own sources are to the situation and then to determine if the information being provided to him is credible. Who knows - maybe he got CBG's agent to tell him something and it wound up being off the mark.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
What does it matter that KQ was wrong??? He had his sources and the info turned out to be bad...that stuff happens in this world. Hell 95% of people associated with GT thought CBG was a goner before yesterday.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
What does it matter that KQ was wrong??? He had his sources and the info turned out to be bad...that stuff happens in this world. Hell 95% of people associated with GT thought CBG was a goner before yesterday.
95% didn't report on it as definitive. I am not saying he is a bad person because he did it - just that if I were CBG I wouldn't be too keen on cozying up to him, and if I were a source I certainly wouldn't tell him things moving forward.

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
KQ never had a close relationship with BG anyway so it doesn't really matter. If this were paul johnson then I'd think this was worthy of the two pages that seem to have been wasted on a non-issue. At this point, if ANY one is banking on making money by reporting GT basketball insider news, you're a fool anyway. KQ will hold his relationships close where the money is made and that's football. Hopefully, this resolves your genuine concerns for KQ's welfare.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

100% of those people still think it was a bad decision.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
My guess is that folks read in too much into MBob's cash search and assumed that it guaranteed the BG was going to be fired.

Reality is that once MBob have the cash lined up, it became time to evaluate based upon all variables (we don't know them all) and make a decision. The fact that he admitted that he was"on both sides of the fence" indicates that he is not sugar coating the situation to the public. Other example comments include statements about offense not being something you do between defensive series, dribbling with purpose, etc.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
KQ never had a close relationship with BG anyway so it doesn't really matter. If this were paul johnson then I'd think this was worthy of the two pages that seem to have been wasted on a non-issue. At this point, if ANY one is banking on making money by reporting GT basketball insider news, you're a fool anyway. KQ will hold his relationships close where the money is made and that's football. Hopefully, this resolves your genuine concerns for KQ's welfare.
You may be correct that this is a non-issue. With that said you're oversimplifying and ignoring posts in the thread. KQ has a relationship with the GTAA. If information was mishandled/misrepresented, then it's fair to speculate that there would be some type of fallout.

I also find the bolded sentences somewhat patronizing and an attempt to unfairly marginalize GT basketball to prove a point. Have you paid attention to how much traction the MBob/CBG contract fiasco is getting?

You suggest KQ does not hold his relationships close with GT basketball which implies we should ignore what he says about GT basketball. I highly doubt that's KQ's goal regardless of how much money he may or not make from covering GT basketball. Integrity and credibility don't just start and stop for one sport vs. another.

Seems fair to discuss and not blindly dismiss.

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Fair to discuss? Of course it's fair to discuss but why do you guys care so much? That was really my point. But have at it...go picket GTAA with a gag order on KQ for all I care. Kellys not losing any sleep over this. But apparently some of you are.

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Ha! fair point MidTown and confirms that I'm not the only person "marginalizing" hoops as CuseJacket references. ;-)

Like you, I am thankful spring ball is right around the corner.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Fair to discuss? Of course it's fair to discuss but why do you guys care so much? That was really my point. But have at it...go picket GTAA with a gag order on KQ for all I care. Kellys not losing any sleep over this. But apparently some of you are.

Never said I care. No one said they're losing sleep. But ok. I'm a moderator and was wondering out loud why it seemed you care enough to try and shut a harmless conversation down.

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
You co-signing now Eric? Hahah. My Man! When u coming on our show anyway? I promise Kelly won't bite.

Cuse you've done a good job of shutting down many of my harmless posts as my inbox can attest. I still like you nonetheless even tho you over police the hell outta me.

Anyway. Just how you saw it as harmless, I saw it as giving Kelly an unfair shake. hes a friend so I offered up my opinion on the situation. Interpret it how you like.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I was just saying it was basketball offseason @GTsuperfan - I am actually a bigger bball head then football fan (though frankly with CPJ I have really begun paying attention I am a huge fan of the 3O and learning/studying it)

I will say I want to see GT BBall come back to greatness and am pulling for some changes to the program and style of Offense we plan.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't follow Twitter, didn't follow this story to begin with, and don't know exactly what KQ had to say. Here's the problem though...or at least a problem. Bloggers and or forumers too often embrace the mantle of journalist but rarely apply the tenants a good journalist should...like verifying sources. To make matters worse...bloggers often beat traditional journalists to stories which has led to "traditional" journalists following suit and failing to maintain their old traditional standards...in order to break stories first. I'm no fan of "Rolling Stone" but the piece they did on the UVA "gang rape" is a perfect example of this kind of shoddy journalism.
My diatribe brings me back to one point.
If KQ, or anyone else, wants to portray himself as a journalist he should verify his sources and make retractions when appropriate.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
95% didn't report on it as definitive. I am not saying he is a bad person because he did it - just that if I were CBG I wouldn't be too keen on cozying up to him, and if I were a source I certainly wouldn't tell him things moving forward.
Just finding a place to throw this in where I can. The journalistic standard that I grew up with is that you had to have at least two independent sources for your information before publishing it. For instance, everything that Woodward and Bernstein reported in the Washington Post about Watergate was double verified before they ran it. Sure, most of the leads came from Deep Throat but they still did not go with it until they found a second source who could confirm the details.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Couldn't agree more @Whiskey_Clear and @Northeast Stinger,

I think part of my subconscious aversion to what he did comes from that same point. I am just - in general - disheartened in the devaluation our journalistic standards have undergone.

It's bad when comedians in the vein of John Stewart and Stephen Colbert seem to spend more time thinking about the impact of their shows, and presenting an intelligent presentation of information more than the guys behind the big desks at cable news. I know KQ is not a reporter, I know the world is changing and that the blog culture opens up this shift, I guess I just don't like the willful ambivalence these guys show on living in the grey between true journalism and entertainment.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I know the world is changing and that the blog culture opens up this shift
A concern that I have, not original with me, is that the increasing demise of print journalism seems to be taking away the financial incentives for good journalism in general. The new technology seems to encourage a quick and dirty approach to reporting. And since there is virtually no overhead, it is all profit as long as the advertisers see that you are getting plenty of hits. Making up the news currently seems much more profitable and a whole lot quicker and is a wide spread infection.