Wonder where this puts Kelly Quinlan

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It was mentioned a few times in various threads that KQ incorrectly broke the news about CBG being let go, but now he is digging the knife a little deeper tweeting about how we should bring back CPH to recruit for the team since we are paying him already.

I will be curious to see how this affects his ability to get info on basketball moving forward, and if there are any extension issues with football as well. It seems like CPJ and CBG made a point to attend each other's games - not sure if they like each other or were just doing it for the optics - but I could see a world where CPJ shuts him out too for trolling our program.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It was mentioned a few times in various threads that KQ incorrectly broke the news about CBG being let go, but now he is digging the knife a little deeper tweeting about how we should bring back CPH to recruit for the team since we are paying him already.

I will be curious to see how this affects his ability to get info on basketball moving forward, and if there are any extension issues with football as well. It seems like CPJ and CBG made a point to attend each other's games - not sure if they like each other or were just doing it for the optics - but I could see a world where CPJ shuts him out too for trolling our program.

And if KQ's source is a friend of CPJ?

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Midtown - so do you think Kelly was just guessing on such a sensitive topic? I seriously doubt it. I haven't asked him personally yet but I'm sure he had a solid source. Things change...i would argue MBob is doing a much better troll impersonation of our program.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
PJ is a big hoops guy. He'd always go to the games when he was head coach at Southern, and Southern was abysmal during those times, such as a 3-win season. Not in conference. Overall.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Kelly's not the first guy to jump the gun or get bad info from a supposed reliable, credible source. Won't be the last, either. Twitter and other social media just makes such instances more prominent.

I don't think it will affect his relationship with football at all. With basketball, maybe, but Gregory doesn't seem like the kind of guy to freeze somebody out or hold a grudge. Besides, Gregory knows he's out on a limb for the coming year. If he doesn't win, then all Kelly will be guilty of is premature revelation.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
I mentioned this in another thread -- there were just a handful of people close to this decision, and none of them were talking to Kelly (or any media for that matter).

Let's recount what KQ had wrong about this: initial report that BG had been fired, amount of buyout, report of money being solicited for the buyout, subsequent report it would happen Monday, another report that it would happen by the end of the week, and finally report that today's information had been "planted" to raise money.

Make your own determination about his credibility. Does he have a bad source? Is he just making stuff up?

Think about how often stories are broken by online sources these days. Notice how no one else reported this citing him? That tells you a lot about his perception.

I think the GTAA should seriously considering yanking access for anyone that is that reckless with putting out information. It's one thing to disagree with someone's published opinion, but when facts are wrong, that's another issue.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
If the misinformation was published by a reputable news organization, a retraction and apology would be published. Mechanical and sometimes on page E14, but published never the less.

Maybe Mr. Quilan should send out a tweet using a 1 point font?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I mentioned this in another thread -- there were just a handful of people close to this decision, and none of them were talking to Kelly (or any media for that matter).

Let's recount what KQ had wrong about this: initial report that BG had been fired, amount of buyout, report of money being solicited for the buyout, subsequent report it would happen Monday, another report that it would happen by the end of the week, and finally report that today's information had been "planted" to raise money.

Make your own determination about his credibility. Does he have a bad source? Is he just making stuff up?

Think about how often stories are broken by online sources these days. Notice how no one else reported this citing him? That tells you a lot about his perception.

I think the GTAA should seriously considering yanking access for anyone that is that reckless with putting out information. It's one thing to disagree with someone's published opinion, but when facts are wrong, that's another issue.

Agree with all this. If I were the GTAA I'd have a hard time allowing KQ to be around. We all thought BG would get fired but that's very different from a supposed GT site putting a definitive report out. It's almost like someone was feeding him just enough rope to let him hang himself.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
That's my point, it isn't just that he got it wrong (or maybe was even told one thing to drive up donations) but unless GTAA Actually instructed him to publish misinformation in some bid to raise more funds I think he is in more hot water than will be comfortable. If he was in fact acting in concert with the administration that is going to be a huge black eye for everyone and I predict Money to flow to make heads roll.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
IIuc, KQ is standing pat on the reporting was correct when he issued it. Based on what @Eric said, it seems that the AD was telling people that CBG was going to be fired. MBob himself reportedly said that he jumped on both sides of the fence, lending credence to the reporting by KQ and Eric.

It seems to me that KQ just got burned by MBob changing his mind, saying one thing and then ending up doing another.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
IIuc, KQ is standing pat on the reporting was correct when he issued it. Based on what @Eric said, it seems that the AD was telling people that CBG was going to be fired. MBob himself reportedly said that he jumped on both sides of the fence, lending credence to the reporting by KQ and Eric.

It seems to me that KQ just got burned by MBob changing his mind, saying one thing and then ending up doing another.

There's important distinction here: MBob was not telling anyone that BG was going to be fired, he hadn't made a decision until yesterday. I can tell you with 100% certainty that he did not decide to fire BG and then changed his mind (or failed to raise the money, etc).

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
There's important distinction here: MBob was not telling anyone that BG was going to be fired, he hadn't made a decision until yesterday. I can tell you with 100% certainty that he did not decide to fire BG and then changed his mind (or failed to raise the money, etc).
This makes little sense though. Bobinski had all year long to evaluate CBG and should have had some idea of the direction that he wanted to go with him by the end of the season. It's hard to believe that he watched us lose our last 5 games, some in ridiculous fashion, then watched the fan base rejoice in the expected coaching change, and then finally came to the conclusion that keeping CBG is the right thing to do. He could have announced that CBG would be retained before the ACC tournament and saved a lot of trouble for himself. Its hard to buy into the thought that he still hadn't made up his mind at that point. If it really took him that long then I question his decision making skills.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

This may very well be true since I have no idea what happened. However, if this is true than Eric or Eric's source lied. And either KQ or KQ's source lied. I was just interpreting the data from KQ, Eric, and the MBob interview without assuming that anyone was lying.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This may very well be true since I have no idea what happened. However, if this is true than Eric or Eric's source lied. And either KQ or KQ's source lied. I was just interpreting the data from KQ, Eric, and the MBob interview without assuming that anyone was lying.
Another board didn't explicitly say BG was out, but they also indicated last week that a decision had been made that should surprise no one. Yesterday's decision was a pretty big surprise.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Sounds to me like people projecting what they want to have happen..

I find it had to believe MBob would have unequivocally said he is gone then reversed course. Which brings me back to my original question - how this will impact the administration's willingness to have KQ around or in the loop and being able to keep his head.

It looks to me like he got partial information and gambled it would break his way so he could break the story.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think anything will happen to KQ. It is pretty clear at this point that alot of information was being leaked from multiple areas trying to create the narratives they wanted.
I've seen 2 widely different numbers for how much we still owe Hewitt. I've seen rationales why Gregory should have stayed or should have gone. IMO people close to both Gregory and within the AA were spreading info to people on the outside they knew trying to influence narrative and direction.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Another board didn't explicitly say BG was out, but they also indicated last week that a decision had been made that should surprise no one. Yesterday's decision was a pretty big surprise.
It was reported by Chuck Oliver on the radio as well.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
This makes little sense though. Bobinski had all year long to evaluate CBG and should have had some idea of the direction that he wanted to go with him by the end of the season. It's hard to believe that he watched us lose our last 5 games, some in ridiculous fashion, then watched the fan base rejoice in the expected coaching change, and then finally came to the conclusion that keeping CBG is the right thing to do. He could have announced that CBG would be retained before the ACC tournament and saved a lot of trouble for himself. Its hard to buy into the thought that he still hadn't made up his mind at that point. If it really took him that long then I question his decision making skills.
THIS ^^^^ There's just absolutely no reason not to say he's staying the head coach, if that was the decision you had made. Waiting around and letting all this speculation continue wouldn't be a wise choice. The ONLY reason CBG is here is because of money. Bud Peterson wouldn't allow him to do it because of Hewitt's buyout and the horrible extension Mbob gave CBG last year.