Wofford

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
At least we have the lead at half by 2. Any of you guys know why we aren't pounding it in the paint a lot more? We are a lot bigger.

I really think Gregory wants us to do that, I'm just not so sure the team knows how to make it happen. We aren't very good at getting the ball inside.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At least we have the lead at half by 2. Any of you guys know why we aren't pounding it in the paint a lot more? We are a lot bigger.
We couldn't penetrate the zone. Shocking, I know.

Outside shots opened things up some in the second half and Tadric & Travis did a little better probing the interior.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our defense took over in the second half. They had only scored 11 points with 10:00 of the second half remaining. Most of their points in the 2nd half came in the last 3 mins when we had begun playing reserves. Overall, an impressive performance in closing these guys out after a less than stellar opening stanza.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Observations:
* Dominated the boards (40-22, 16 offensive rebounds)
* Chuck is a beast, but I don't think this needs to be said
* Great night from Adam (6-9, 4-5 on threes), shooting 48% in wins, 21% in losses
* Got to the line a ton
* Slow start CANNOT happen in ACC play or we will lose 99 times out of 100
* Defense looked really good in the second half, was nice to see a change in energy from first to second half

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Definitely agree that we looked as good as we have all year defensively in the second half. Was also impressed how the second unit was really responsible for stretching the lead.

We did a lot of damage when Jorgensen and Tadric were running together in the backcourt. I think that is our strongest defensive backcourt. Also love seeing Tadric make plays for teammates.

He had a nice give to Lammers on the pick-n-roll. I want to see a lot more of him doing that and shooting that floater than him looking for the deep ball.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Lots of good comments already. My only addition is that this is the third game (out of the last four) with a long scoring drought (I can't recall one in the Arkansas game). Given that two of those three games were against SoCon foes....that worries me. A lot. ACC defenses already know us well, and will play better defense against us than either ETSU or Wofford...more like what Nova did. I expect our scoring average to plummet once we hit league play.

Honestly, the main difference I see between this year and last is Adam Smith.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Lots of good comments already. My only addition is that this is the third game (out of the last four) with a long scoring drought (I can't recall one in the Arkansas game). Given that two of those three games were against SoCon foes....that worries me. A lot. ACC defenses already know us well, and will play better defense against us than either ETSU or Wofford...more like what Nova did. I expect our scoring average to plummet once we hit league play.

Honestly, the main difference I see between this year and last is Adam Smith.

I agree that Adam Smith was huge for us last night. When he is on, we are a much different team on offense.

The "long scoring drought" in this game was different, I think. At the beginning of the game we missed 12 out of 13 shots. Several were point blank, under the basket tries by Nick and Chuck. Nick continued having trouble the whole game. These guys are very good low block scorers, and I don't expect a repeat of this kind of trouble.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Loving Lammers off the bench. We don't really skip a beat we just adjust from Jacobs being the option to Chuck and Lammers can score without plays being run specifically for him.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Against not great bigs, Jacobs still has found himself in foul trouble a good bit over the past few games. He needs to play a little smarter and less with his hands in order to avoid that. At this stage, Kennedy Meeks and Mike Tobey will have a field day, both on the block and at the free throw line.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Loving Lammers off the bench. We don't really skip a beat we just adjust from Jacobs being the option to Chuck and Lammers can score without plays being run specifically for him.

Agreed.. He gives us a spark defensively too. He seems to be our best shot blocker of the group. I've seen his blocked shot lead to fast break points a few times this year.

You are right on the money about him scoring without being the primary option. He's gotta make better decisions on his outlet passes though. Few too many turnovers trying to get the ball out too quickly.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I noticed it in the previous game but he also hedges on l the ball screens well. Divert the guard away from the hoop while our guard recovers and he drops back to the lane.

My only gripe with him on O right now is he slips the on the ball screen a bit to quick, at the very least you have to get close enough to make the two defenders think about how they are going to defend it before you make that cut.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
A good performance overall.But can't start that slow vs conf teams.
If we had had a version of Smith the last 3 yrs PG may not be dying here.The difference in quickness and shooting is stunning from other guys.Not that he is perfect (nor consistent)but that threat is so obvious.
otoh-- if we don't reload on transfers again next yr is scary.