Win Total Predictions

How many wins does Tech get this season?

• Total voters

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I realistically think we go 6-6 and beat a team in a bowl mid level bowl to end 7-6. Outside shot at both 4-8 and 8-5 with a bowl loss in a higher level bowl. I think we'll beat someone we shouldn't and lost to someone we shouldn't due to king's risk taking.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
SC State, BGSU, BC, Cuse, and UVA we should all win, but we probably lose 1 of those ACC games, most likely UVA.

UNC, Miami, Wake, Louisville could go either way, I think we take 2 of the 4.

Ole Miss, Clemson and uga are the toughest opponents. I think we have about a 35-40% chance of pulling 1 win out of this group.

So probably 6-7 regular season wins and a possible bowl win.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I am going with 5. I am excited about our future but I think we forget that our wins last year were by a much closer margin than our losses. We build a solid foundation for future success with what we show in the field but fall just short of bowling.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I am going 6-6 and a bowl win. Our overall coaching staff has improved , Key will be a much better HC this year than TFG ever was. His attention to detail and experience with former good/great HCs will show up in our preparation, mental toughness and in game decisions. We still need more talent, but I think we will see some real "coaching up" beginning with this season.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
SC State, BGSU, BC, Cuse, and UVA we should all win, but we probably lose 1 of those ACC games, most likely UVA.

UNC, Miami, Wake, Louisville could go either way, I think we take 2 of the 4.

Ole Miss, Clemson and uga are the toughest opponents. I think we have about a 35-40% chance of pulling 1 win out of this group.

So probably 6-7 regular season wins and a possible bowl win.
Agree with this. We will lose one we shouldn't and win one we shouldn't.

I'd say the loss in the first group comes from UVA or Cuse.

Based on tiers:

Tier 3-
SCSU: W
Bowling Green: W
BC: W
Cuse: L
UVA:W

Tier 2-
Louisville: W
Wake: W
Miami: L
UNC: W

Tier 1-
Ole Miss: L
Clemson: L
uga: L

Giving GT 7 wins on the season. For me this is best case.

Below is worst case

Tier 3-
UVA: W

Tier 2-
Louisville: L
UNC: L

Tier 1-

Worst case gives GT 5 wins. Basically saying we win 4 of the tier 3 games and only 1 of the tier 2.

We need to win at least 80% of the tier 3 games and 50% of the tier 2 games.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Should Lose (3): @OleMiss,@Clem,uga
Should Win (5): SCSt,BG,BC,@UVA,Cuse (I hate putting a game in Charlottesville in this category, but there it is)
Toss Ups (4): Lou,@Wake,@Mia,UNC

If we hold serve on the 5 and split the toss up games, we end up with 7 wins before the bowl game.

Starting off with Louisville is really going to set the tone for the rest of the season. A win in week 1 puts us in a strong position to win 7 or more games.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Likely , we are better and a number of teams are worse.

First half most our games
The WR room and Qb are on same page and we get non red zone yards.
The Dbs have tight coverage and we send safety so DL gets sacks.
We are all happy.

Second half of games against not crummy teams, we don't adjust and aren't ready for their adjustments. Also, Key doesn't use time outs precisely the way we want and some on board go to dark side. We don't suck, but we loose to good teams.

Worst case:
At end of season we must beat BC and Cuse to get to 6 wins.
In low scoring slug fest in one of the games we are ahead by 3 but at wrong end of field.
Key has King quick kick to flip the field and defense has to hold them.
The board melts down.

I think we win 7 games and all the Coach Key screw ups are forgotten.

Put me down for 7 and a bowl

slugboy

Staff member
Agree with this. We will lose one we shouldn't and win one we shouldn't.

I'd say the loss in the first group comes from UVA or Cuse.

Based on tiers:

Tier 3-
UVA:W

Tier 2-
Louisville: W
UNC: W

Tier 1-

Giving GT 7 wins on the season. For me this is best case.

Below is worst case

Tier 3-
UVA: W

Tier 2-
Louisville: L
UNC: L

Tier 1-

Worst case gives GT 5 wins. Basically saying we win 4 of the tier 3 games and only 1 of the tier 2.

We need to win at least 80% of the tier 3 games and 50% of the tier 2 games.
I like the breakdown by tiers.

(If you want to skip all this, my answer is “5”. I’d like to be very wrong on the low end)

Sports books have us at 4.5 wins on the season. Some of my favorite stats nerds have us at 4 wins. Objectively, 4-6 wins is a good regular season range for this team, and the top end of that range barely qualifies for a bowl.

Worst case is three wins. Even with good coaching, bad luck and injuries can land us there.

Eight wins is coach of the year territory.

I may be pessimistic, but I think 5 wins, as a much better team than last year. We had luck and some very good plays to get us to 5 last year.

If we get to six wins, the players and coaching staff have done a helluva job.

On offense, we couldn’t block last year. If that turns around in one season, I gotta tip my cap to Key and Geep Wade. It’ll take luck and depth to be middle of the P5 in OL play.

On defense, we need sacks. We’re towards the bottom of FBS there. That’s also a huge turnaround.