Will the QB position be better this year?

Will the QB position be better this year?

• Better

Votes: 71 67.6%
  • Same

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • Worse

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We will be better. The timing of vad and the ab for the pitch was bad. The vad was so slow to do the mesh and accelerate down the line that the spacing allowed the defender to defend the qb keep and the pitch. Timing should be improved and 20 yes runs on edge the result. I think we will run b back on slant to guard tackle hole like in 2009.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I believe JT only ran 50 plays last year.

Also worth noting is that he did not play against VT, Pitt or UGa and that 20 of the 50 were against BYU and Syracuse.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I believe JT only ran 50 plays last year.

Also worth noting is that he did not play against VT, Pitt or UGa

He ran the ball 33 times and threw the ball 17 times. That's 50 right there. Last year, QB carries (VL, JT, TB) accounted for a little more than 1/3 of our rushing plays. That would add another 66+ plays. I was a bit conservative in giving him only another 50 snaps, but I don't think that I'm far off.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I went with same because we will like last year be breaking in new starter who needs game reps plus OL is likely to be the same.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I will post these for all positions... like hearing what everyone expects this year.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Just from breaking in new starters & continued questions about the oline I'm guessing more of the same at min. If the online gels then possibly better.

I expect the big four to continue to neutralize our offense.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fumbles are one thing for JT and it is a legitimate concern, however I think a general mindset to force every play was his biggest downfall. He just simply took too many chances forcing pitches and passes into risky situations. Good QBs know when a play is over or isn't there at all. He just needs to learn that. I am optimistic he will.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
QB play will be same due the limiting factor of the Offensive Line. Not sure we have the right coach at that position. JT will be running for his life and might break more plays. Not the normal CPJ efficiency though.

*** I still think we win at least 9 games before the bowl game ***

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
JT drove me a bit nuts last year. A world of potential IMO but reckless with the ball. Risky pitches often worked but a scary habit to fall into. More importantly he too often carried the ball like mike vick...that makes me insane. Both are easily correctable.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we wil be better because I think whoever the starter is, it will be someone who believes in the system and the players around him.

Additionally I think it will be someone more willing to take the small gain than the big shot downfield.

I also think that turnovers will improve simply because we had a lot of them last season.

I don't think the talent dropoff will be very noticeable because I think the starter this season will play faster.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I also think that turnovers will improve simply because we had a lot of them last season.
Last season, we only lost 11 fumbles - tied for lowest over last 6 seasons (by comparison, we lost 20 fumbles in both 2008 and 2010).

However, between 2008 and 2012, we averaged 7 interceptions (never more than 8, never less than 6).

But check this out: last year, we only attempted 203 passes (only the service academies and New Mexico attempted fewer) but threw a whopping 13 interceptions - that's more INTs than 66 other teams. I don't like the stat of total INTs per team since the number of attempts ranges from 150 to 750 so I calculate my own stat: the average number of attempts per interception - the inverse of interception ratio - basically, how many passes are you going to throw before you throw a pick.

For all of the BCS, 80% of the teams are between 24 and 57.

The absolute worst team in the BCS threw a pick every 16 attempts: Georgia Tech.

This may *ahem* explain the disconnect between VL and CPJ about our run/pass ratio.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Last season, we only lost 11 fumbles - tied for lowest over last 6 seasons (by comparison, we lost 20 fumbles in both 2008 and 2010).

However, between 2008 and 2012, we averaged 7 interceptions (never more than 8, never less than 6).

But check this out: last year, we only attempted 203 passes (only the service academies and New Mexico attempted fewer) but threw a whopping 13 interceptions - that's more INTs than 66 other teams. I don't like the stat of total INTs per team since the number of attempts ranges from 150 to 750 so I calculate my own stat: the average number of attempts per interception - the inverse of interception ratio - basically, how many passes are you going to throw before you throw a pick.

For all of the BCS, 80% of the teams are between 24 and 57.

The absolute worst team in the BCS threw a pick every 16 attempts: Georgia Tech.

This may *ahem* explain the disconnect between VL and CPJ about our run/pass ratio.
great post