Will Roof get the message??????

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I am not happy with our defense this season, but we all knew the DL was decimated in the off season and we now have inexperienced and undersized guys playing a lot of minutes there. It affects how everyone plays their position. There isn't much scheming you can do to overcome a lack of talent and experience.
Somebody else gets it.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Fine. New Mexico State is dead last in rushing yards/attempt allowed, but are 40th in passing yards/attempt allowed. That looks like scheming to me. San Jose State is 9th worst in rushing yards allowed, but best in passing yards allowed. We are 15 worst in BOTH categories.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Fine. New Mexico State is dead last in rushing yards/attempt allowed, but are 40th in passing yards/attempt allowed. That looks like scheming to me. San Jose State is 9th worst in rushing yards allowed, but best in passing yards allowed. We are 15 worst in BOTH categories.
I thought you were gonna find a team that had comparable losses in the offseason. I'd also throw in losses to graduation because we lost our 2 best players in Attaochu and Jemea. The worst thing about our attrition was how it was concentrated in one unit which also happens to be the most important unit on the whole D.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One other thing about the tight coverage issue. PJ was specifically referring to blitzing situations last night. The earlier quote about getting burned deep was probably in answer to a question about tighter coverage generally. PJ is saying that when we blitz successfully and make the quarterback unload in a hurry, we need to close the deal by not giving him any uncovered short targets.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
For the argument re: Tenuta's talent vs. Roof's.... NONE of Tenuta's players came in studs. Michael Johnson had to be bulked up, Robo too... Wheeler was light in the pants, Guyton took a few years to develop, etc. KaMichael Hall was waaaaay undersized but coached to maximize his talents.

At DB, Chris Reis was a workaholic who took to good coaching and put in blue collar performances, and this helped him with the Saints as well.

I believe those guys are still on the roster, but like diamonds in the hands of an incompetent jeweler, they aren't being polished as well.

@vamosjackets do you think this is fair to say?

vamos, what do you think?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There are 60+ power 5 teams, and we are among the worst, if not the worst. Do I really need to go find another team with injuries/attrition that has overcome them to disprove that? You CAN scheme around talent deficiencies.
I am not saying you cannot improve. But, in the short term there is a ceiling for every player. Scheme can take advantage of talent, but it can only do so much. The other teams can find and exploit a defense where it's weaknesses are. And every defense has some weakness. Ours is the DL.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, after reading all this, I think I'll wait till the D is a lot better next year before I start talking up Roof as our next HC!

Roof and CPJ aren't stupid and reportedly talk a lot on early morning walks. There is no more an answer to "Will Roof get the message" than there is to the question "Have you stopped beating your wife?". The question about Roof is based on the false premise that he doesn't understand what is going on.

The D will be a lot better by mid season because the DL will be better. Unless of course we lose another 5 DL going into next year. In which case I'll be focused on Beesball about now.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
We just need to blitz one play per every 4 downs. That would be sufficient, doesn't have to be every play. Just at least every 3 plays or so. Mix up the blitz from LBs|CBS|S so it's not telegraphed and keeps them guessing on O.

Play press coverage when you blitz so they can't throw a quick hot route to avoid the blitz. If they beat us with a great throw over the top under duress I can live with it, but I cannot live with bringing 4 and dropping 7 and WRs are still 5 yards from anyone around them. What's the point of dropping an army and still have guys uncovered or with huge cushions.

GT,
if you like that you will get to see it this week---by UVA---Tenuta will do at least that

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Well, after reading all this, I think I'll wait till the D is a lot better next year before I start talking up Roof as our next HC!

Roof and CPJ aren't stupid and reportedly talk a lot on early morning walks. There is no more an answer to "Will Roof get the message" than there is to the question "Have you stopped beating your wife?". The question about Roof is based on the false premise that he doesn't understand what is going on.

Great point GTNavyNuke. You would think from some peoples statements that Tech was known primarily for it's psychology program with all the unwarranted conclusions drawn based on single statements from CPJ. People conjecture that "maybe CPJ is finally telling Roof what is needed through his radio show" or "CPJ has been ignorant and done nothing about athletes academic performance since he stated that he will need to monitor it more closely due the problems of the recent past".

Is it in any way realistic to argue that CPJ has been reluctant to share his thoughts with Roof or that he hasn't tried to insure academic success? Heck, my wife and I have been very involved with our kids to help them academically, but not always successfully. The thread asks "Will Roof get the message?" but Roof certainly already knows CPJ's opinion. He isn't shy. If you don't like CPJ, that is fine but to read into his every statement some type of negative conjecture about him seems unfair at best.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think it's all about the situation. What's the situation call for? If it's 3rd and 10, our guys shouldn't line up 10-12 yards off the WR AND back pedal even further after the snap. If the WR is going over the top, we've got to make sure our safeties are helping because our CBs need to be responsible for preventing the WR from getting the first down in front of them. Now if it's 1st or 2nd and 10, the offense can pass or run, so it's OK for CB to play with a bigger cushion.

I used this example earlier, when it was 3rd and 10 late in the game, DJ White was easily 10-12 off the CB before the snap. After the snap, DJ was backpedaling even further off the WR...and when the WR broke, DJ wasn't even in position to make a play on the ball or contest the catch because he took himself out of position. It's obvious where the WR needs to get to because there's a marker there and the scoreboard tells you what the other teams needs. Luckily the QB threw a bad ball or else Pitt would have converted.

DJ White is supposedly our best CB, and his speed is obviously not a liability, so why the heck is he lined up so far off the CB in the situation? I don't think we can say "Our CBs shouldn't line up X yards beyond the WR" or "Our CB need to jam the WR and line up closer"....each situation and down is different and calls for different alignments on defense. In that situation what DJ did was clear sign of lack of situational awareness. To me, that's on the coaches if our players are constantly displaying lack of situational awareness.

So this is pretty much what I keep saying:

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2014/10/28/johnson-wants-tighter-pass-coverage/

1. Johnson wants the defense to ratchet up the pressure in pass coverage.

“Get up there make them beat you,” Johnson said at his weekly news conference Tuesday. “We’ve got to help them with that, when we pressure we’ve got to know when we’re pressuring and get up there and play tight.”

Johnson urged using tight coverage situationally.

“You’ve got to play down and distance,” he said. “If it’s third-and-5, there’s no use backing up. If it’s first-and-10 and there’s a minute to go in the game, maybe you need to back up. It’s just playing the situations.”

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly. Thanks for no amnesia.

Its the same discussion 3 years later. Only now our d is ranked far worse.

I am convinced we dont have top 30 talent. I am convinced we have every bit of top 60 talent.
I'll bite on this. I think we had about 60 level talent before flunkgate II. We knew we had a talent issue looming for 2014 at this time last year.

After the revenge of flunkgate, maybe we are in really bad shape. Our DFEI rank is 85. I'm not so surprised at the output given the input. Roof could maybe get a little better situationally, but this is less on him, IMO.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
My two cents... Defense and offense have to compliment each other. There should be a cohesive game plan. If we are going to make their O walk it down the field and play soft like we did with Miami, we need to grind it out on O. If we are in a shoot out we need to play press with lots of pressure. If we had done this with UNC we would have either gotten them off the field or got the ball back. Roof/CPJ did not have a good strategy for the end of that game. I think they had a great strategy for Miami.

You have to have a plan going in, but be flexible enough to change based on how the game is going.

slugboy

Staff member
I'll bite on this. I think we had about 60 level talent before flunkgate II. We knew we had a talent issue looming for 2014 at this time last year.

After the revenge of flunkgate, maybe we are in really bad shape. Our DFEI rank is 85. I'm not so surprised at the output given the input. Roof could maybe get a little better situationally, but this is less on him, IMO.

I just went and looked on Rivals. If you assume these guys know what they're doing, we've generally been in the top 50 until lately. The recruiting services haven't thought much of us the last few years.
2005 62
2006 57
2007 18
2008 49
2009 49
2010 43
2011 41
2012 57
2013 85
2014 47

I'd guess the last three four years plus attrition puts us outside the top 60, maybe around 85, which would mean the players aren't being coached up or down.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
As for comparable talent. I'll have to go back and look at the Dlines. But Daryl Smith and Key Fox were stud linebackers day one as true frosh.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
GT,
if you like that you will get to see it this week---by UVA---Tenuta will do at least that

This is true, but Tenuta will blitz every play which, ironically in return makes a team predictable and less effective knowing your going to blitz every play.