Will Roof get the message??????

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If you listen to the radio show or post practice notes the past 2 weeks, CPJ is making it very clear what he wants to see from the defense. He's mentioned over and over we need to blitz more and quote "more importantly, we got to play press and quit playing so far off." He even specifically said we didn't blitz enough vs Pitt. Will Roof wake up and get the memo?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting dynamic forming. I made mention of this in another thread, but the announcers in the Pitt game said CPJ told them he spent more time than normal in defensive meetings and defensive drills making suggestions. Now CPJ is starting to "send messages" through the press.

The last time he had to do the above, it was during the last days of Al Groh's time here. Not trying to say the same thing is happening with Roof, but I'm sure Roof isn't too happy about getting "coached up" in the media.

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
No doubt CPJ and CTR discuss what their desires for the defense are. But both also face the reality that until the younger players are coached up, and/or additional players are brought in to match the desires, the "play press and quit playing so far off" defense will be a goal to keep striving toward.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to stir the pot between CPJ and Roof, just thought it was very interesting that after the game people were saying Roof finally blitzed and mixed it up more and the coach comes out and says we didn't do it enough and we have to change how we are playing in the secondary.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Not trying to stir the pot between CPJ and Roof, just thought it was very interesting that after the game people were saying Roof finally blitzed and mixed it up more and the coach comes out and says we didn't do it enough and we have to change how we are playing in the secondary.
I think you misheard.

CPJ said he thought that we didn't blitz any more but we needed to bring more pressure, especially from our DEs. Shawn Green keeps getting double-teamed so he thinks that should mean someone else should make the plays.

As for the secondary, he wants the players to challenge the WR more for the ball instead of just hoping that they would drop the ball.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This, he's only repeating what he's already discussed in coaches' meetings. To do otherwise would be very unprofessional.

There is no evidence to suggest this. Maybe he's using the press to emphasize messages he's already sent in person, maybe. You guys must think he's afraid of his assistants if he needs to communicate to them via the media.

Interesting you chose those words...

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/2013/1/2/3828950/georgia-tech-football-al-groh-paul-Johnson

The comments of "we need to blitz more...if four doesn't work, send five, if five doesn't work send six, etc.", then repeating the same sentiments this week are evidence enough. You don't criticize something unless you want to change something that's not getting done. CPJ could have simply said, "We've talked about making adjustments, and you'll see it if you pay attention." To say we need to blitz more, or CBs need to play a certain way is pretty specific. CTR gets paid a lot of money to do his job, so this is part of what he gets paid for...but if you think those comments were innocent then you probably have never worked in a professional environment. Guys at the top of the ladder don't make specific references to coworker's responsibilities in public just because they think it sounds good.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
First time poster long time reader. Thought I could add my 2 cents on this topic. I played ball for a couple years at a d3 school before transferring to tech and getting my engineering degree.

I don't think we blitz as much given the score. You're not going to show your hand given a huge lead. I haven't gone back and reviewed the tape but from my initial pass it looked like we blitzed multiple times using the same blitz. We may have more exotic blitzes but you don't want to let UVA or another future opponent see what you have up your sleeve unless the game is really on the line. If I can win by playing base then that's what I'm going to do. I'd be curious to see when a majority of our blitzing happened. Probably not when we had a huge lead.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Interesting you chose those words...

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/2013/1/2/3828950/georgia-tech-football-al-groh-paul-Johnson

The comments of "we need to blitz more...if four doesn't work, send five, if five doesn't work send six, etc.", then repeating the same sentiments this week are evidence enough. You don't criticize something unless you want to change something that's not getting done. CPJ could have simply said, "We've talked about making adjustments, and you'll see it if you pay attention." To say we need to blitz more, or CBs need to play a certain way is pretty specific. CTR gets paid a lot of money to do his job, so this is part of what he gets paid for...but if you think those comments were innocent then you probably have never worked in a professional environment. Guys at the top of the ladder don't make specific references to coworker's responsibilities in public just because they think it sounds good.
Bitter old man was just fired and he was, to use a popular phrase, very butt hurt. That article doesn't specify what was unprofessional, so he could have been referring to any number of things in his screwed up senile head.

Neither one of us knows for sure who is right on this, but using the media to send messages to you coaches is bush league. I'd be very disappointed in CPJ if he was doing this.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bitter old man was just fired and he was, to use a popular phrase, very butt hurt. That article doesn't specify what was unprofessional, so he could have been referring to any number of things in his screwed up senile head.

Neither one of us knows for sure who is right on this, but using the media to send messages to you coaches is bush league. I'd be very disappointed in CPJ if he was doing this.

I'm just speculating, and obviously have no inside information. All this stuff just feels like deja vu during the last days of Al Groh. I hope I'm wrong.

I like CPJ a lot, and think he's one of the good guys in the business. One of the few things he did that I thought was questionable was bringing in Al Groh during bowl preparations while Dave Wommack was still the DC here. Maybe's it's the curse of Wommack that CPJ has had bad defenses.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i personally find it indicting that after game 8 paul is having to state publicly suggestions on how the D needs to play tighter on the LOS in certain D packages. What happened is this. We were 5 and 0 and paul just let ted go....do his thing...not micromanage; which i respect. Paul has even stated in the past he does this on purpose to not micromanage.

well we lost 2 straight. One clearly on the D. And now paul is getting involved because he himself sees these obvious problems and needs to fix them. for instance. Now attending D staff meetings...He rarely if ever did that in the past. He is now, because IMO he has no confidence in Ted's ability to fix it any longer on his own. Otherwise why attend and why publicly reveal his suggestions?

You can see it in the scheme. It makes no sense. What Ted is teaching makes no sense. We have no down/distance recognition, we play a 12 yard cushion then at snap play a 10 yard drop on top of that huge cushion. I just don't see a defense run what we run week in and week out. Its bizarre, and add in just ok talent, on top of bad scheme and we are worst in many categories. But talent wise we are better than 118 in the land and that alone speaks to many other things...teaching, scheme etc etc.

our DC absolutely is bad, paul is getting involved and telling him what he wants to see, and paul is now telling us what he is telling Ted. Because its that bad. Normally this stuff is taken care of in the film rooms and fixed, actually normally a good DC would see it and fix it on his own....but....in our case, paul is relaying to the media and fanbase what is going on. Its unique to me. Last time i recall this happening:

was LOL George Oleary and you guess it....who was the DC? LOL ROOF baby.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
We just need to blitz one play per every 4 downs. That would be sufficient, doesn't have to be every play. Just at least every 3 plays or so. Mix up the blitz from LBs|CBS|S so it's not telegraphed and keeps them guessing on O.

Play press coverage when you blitz so they can't throw a quick hot route to avoid the blitz. If they beat us with a great throw over the top under duress I can live with it, but I cannot live with bringing 4 and dropping 7 and WRs are still 5 yards from anyone around them. What's the point of dropping an army and still have guys uncovered or with huge cushions.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
our DC absolutely is bad, paul is getting involved and telling him what he wants to see, and paul is now telling us what he is telling Ted. Because its that bad. Normally this stuff is taken care of in the film rooms and fixed, actually normally a good DC would see it and fix it on his own....but....in our case, paul is relaying to the media and fanbase what is going on. Its unique to me. Last time i recall this happening:

CPJ did it with Groh...Not playing Two Gap, rotating more guys into the defense, simplifying the defense/calls so guys can just play and not think. I hope Roof can fix it...he's a Tech guy and a good recruiter. At the end of the day it's a business, so it's on Roof to fix things on defense.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
i personally find it indicting that after game 8 paul is having to state publicly suggestions on how the D needs to play tighter on the LOS in certain D packages. What happened is this. We were 5 and 0 and paul just let ted go....do his thing...not micromanage; which i respect. Paul has even stated in the past he does this on purpose to not micromanage.

well we lost 2 straight. One clearly on the D. And now paul is getting involved because he himself sees these obvious problems and needs to fix them. for instance. Now attending D staff meetings...He rarely if ever did that in the past. He is now, because IMO he has no confidence in Ted's ability to fix it any longer on his own. Otherwise why attend and why publicly reveal his suggestions?

You can see it in the scheme. It makes no sense. What Ted is teaching makes no sense. We have no down/distance recognition, we play a 12 yard cushion then at snap play a 10 yard drop on top of that huge cushion. I just don't see a defense run what we run week in and week out. Its bizarre, and add in just ok talent, on top of bad scheme and we are worst in many categories. But talent wise we are better than 118 in the land and that alone speaks to many other things...teaching, scheme etc etc.

You may be right about Roof, but that is not the only problem with our defense. Guys are either lacking in talent or experience and the combination is lethal. The personnel deficiencies coupled with the coaching ones make one bad defense.