Will Roof get the message??????

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Right but under jt he had flunkgate and the same program and he had success. Why? Better scheme and coaching. Better talent evaluation. Better development. A true system to play in and develop in. Like bud fosters.

We have had no true good system
Our evaluation has been poor
Our coaching and scheme is avg at best
Our player development has been so so.

Add a DC that is below avg and this is what you get.

SYSTEMi think we have better talent than is showing up in the games. Even talented DB can't stop flare passes and make open field if they give 10 yd cushion and backup.
Further- all of the above is the responsibility of just the third hired DC or the person that hired him and is ( I assume responsible) supervising him.

I would add we have one other system problem.
We have a head coach that is calling the plays and does not have time to make defensive adjustments with our defense while they are on sidelines.

With all of the above - I think we are a few tweaks by coach ( fixed or greatly improved other areas - slow qb, recruiting, player support systems, OL, play calling) away from being credible on defense this year and much better next year. Coach is on the defense situation and since he has his swag back - lets swarm them " cavaliers" .
THWG

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
I just went and looked on Rivals. If you assume these guys know what they're doing, we've generally been in the top 50 until lately. The recruiting services haven't thought much of us the last few years.
2005 62
2006 57
2007 18
2008 49
2009 49
2010 43
2011 41
2012 57
2013 85
2014 47

I'd guess the last three four years plus attrition puts us outside the top 60, maybe around 85, which would mean the players aren't being coached up or down.
Yeah,pretty much this. Que es lo que es

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
We have a head coach that is calling the plays and does not have time to make defensive adjustments with our defense while they are on sidelines.

I will admit that I've never thought about this - and I agree with your other points.

/

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I have wondered about this, however, many coaches call either the offense's or the defenses plays and always have. I suppose we would need to try and run comparisons between CPJ doing it and all the others like Jim Tressel, Brian Kelly, Petrino, Kiffin, Leach, Spurrier, and so many who have done it some seasons but not others like Richt, Cutcliffe, and a lot of NFL coaches.

Secondly, you would still have the issue that CPJ rightfully delegates real authority to his defensive coordinators. CPJ already monitors all the conversations and decisions of the defensive coaches via his headset and says he will interject at times. But I also am not sure how more micro-managing by him would get better results on defense.

Lastly, head coaches who do not call the plays on offense are not just back around the bench huddling with the defense, they typically are keenly interested at all times in watching what is going on out on the field even if not calling the plays. Seems like most of a head coaches interjections would be at the half or maybe on timeouts anyway, which is obviously when CPJ is not calling plays as well and so can already be doing that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have wondered about this, however, many coaches call either the offense's or the defenses plays and always have. I suppose we would need to try and run comparisons between CPJ doing it and all the others like Jim Tressel, Brian Kelly, Petrino, Kiffin, Leach, Spurrier, and so many who have done it some seasons but not others like Richt, Cutcliffe, and a lot of NFL coaches.

Secondly, you would still have the issue that CPJ rightfully delegates real authority to his defensive coordinators. CPJ already monitors all the conversations and decisions of the defensive coaches via his headset and says he will interject at times. But I also am not sure how more micro-managing by him would get better results on defense.

Lastly, head coaches who do not call the plays on offense are not just back around the bench huddling with the defense, they typically are keenly interested at all times in watching what is going on out on the field even if not calling the plays. Seems like most of a head coaches interjections would be at the half or maybe on timeouts anyway, which is obviously when CPJ is not calling plays as well and so can already be doing that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

During defense meltdown - Remember MTSU scores again! Also happened last year - that's when some input to defense coordinator is needed . Not micromanaging. More along the lines of we are a coaching team and 2 heads are better than 1

For sure, what ever $ we "save" on HC being OC we should spend on stud DC or recruiter.
Looking the other way - suppose we had OC then head coach could be working on keeping small problems from becoming big ones ( if we only had half the DL attrition?)
Further - if only hC knows how to call plays that makes him critical.

That said coach is coach and he is doing great job calling plays.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
During defense meltdown - Remember MTSU scores again! Also happened last year - that's when some input to defense coordinator is needed . Not micromanaging. More along the lines of we are a coaching team and 2 heads are better than 1

For sure, what ever $ we "save" on HC being OC we should spend on stud DC or recruiter.
Looking the other way - suppose we had OC then head coach could be working on keeping small problems from becoming big ones ( if we only had half the DL attrition?)
Further - if only hC knows how to call plays that makes him critical.

That said coach is coach and he is doing great job calling plays.
But see how complex and muddied the situation quickly gets?

Because while the defense is on the field CPJ does pay attention to what is going on and already can intervene on his headset to effect the play calling if he decides he wants to. Clearly during the week he has his chance to approve Roof's game plan, same as at half time on the issue of making adjustments. In fact, through a bunch of games this year we were all impressed at how much better the defense performed in the second half, right?

Secondly, Tech still has the allowable total number of assistant coaches right? It isn't like since there is no one with the specific title of Offensive Coordinator that Tech has one less coach on staff. It just means the parsing out of responsibilities and duties is done differently than how a head coach who is not also the OC would parcel them out.

Lastly, since he has the responsibility as head coach and that trumps his fulfilling the role of OC then I expect that CPJ does in fact over the course of any given week make sure to provide oversight and guidance qua head coach over all units of the team even despite having a "special teams coordinator" and a "defensive coordinator." For example, I would not be surprised to learn that a lot of the game film review and discussion sessions with the offense are handled more by Bryan Cook and other position coaches than specifically by CPJ. We already see that he doesn't specifically stay with any one position group during practices and that the assistants are running the actual drills so he can normally try and take in everything.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
So yeah, I have thought a lot about CPJ as being both head coach and OC and whether this was the best scenario and was gonna bring it up as an offseason topic.