Why we may be reaching a tipping point for the Power Five to break away from the FBS

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Why not just have an NFL minor league system with several classifications and let the colleges sponsor teams. Get colleges out of the big time sports business.
What? Why would any college want to give up the money that comes with football and then pay money to "sponsor" a team they essentially just gave up? That's like owning a successful business, giving it away for free, and then telling the person you gave it to that you want to pay him out of your own pocket to have your name attached to the business.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Why not just have an NFL minor league system with several classifications and let the colleges sponsor teams. Get colleges out of the big time sports business.

What? Why would any college want to give up the money that comes with football and then pay money to "sponsor" a team they essentially just gave up? That's like owning a successful business, giving it away for free, and then telling the person you gave it to that you want to pay him out of your own pocket to have your name attached to the business.

Colleges wouldn't be hurt by an NFL minor league system. We'd just play with less talented guys or guys who really value the education. We'd effectively have all the talent that's going to the FCS schools and even some of the current P5 players.

The real hole in this argument is why in the world would the NFL care to invest money into a training league that's already being provided to them for free...

TechPreacher

Banned
The schools should just be honest about the situation and create bachelor degrees in football. My degree prepared me for my chosen profession. My curriculum contained all the necessary courses to complete the degree. The school never guaranteed that I could find a job in my field or that I would be successful, but the path was there to follow.
Why shouldn't they do this same thing for athletics? Lots of players only wish to become professionals in their chosen field. Why can't their curriculum support their chosen path? Practice, weight lifting, film study, nutrition, etc. The school can't guarantee they will be drafted, but they have been prepared to succeed. Of course, not everyone will follow that path. Many players will choose a traditional degree, and football would be extracurricular. Or maybe they would double major.
This basic idea removes the facade of modern student athletes. Just let the schools decide how big their degree program is, and the NCAA isn't needed to police anything.