Why we may be reaching a tipping point for the Power Five to break away from the FBS

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
"We're going to have a number of member institutions who won't be involved in college education in 3-4 years"?

Then why have college sports? Let the stud muffins go straight to the NFL out of H S.

Especially from a rules enforcement & punishment standpoint the NCAA sux. unc - enough said.

So I have zero problem breaking away from the NCAA - none. (As long as GT is 100% all in to be successful in the new format).

But what is the end game goal? Just to pay players? (Legislation & lawsuits are going to make you give. proportionately to females).

Have a college team reppin the Institute that are not students there?

I LOVE college football. I would rather watch Rice vs Tulane than the Saints vs. Bucs.

Just want to see a more defined position of expectations.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
From reading the article it seems that most of the Power 5 teams and conferences had their minds blown over the UNCheat outcome. That was the NCAA's last nail in the coffin and covid will be the hammer. If the basketball corruption outcome doesn't fit the public perception, then it's game over for them.

I also feel that there would be another round of conference realignment and the new Power 5 organization will force Notre Dame to join a conference for football, no more free passes for them.

Scubapro

Banned
IMO the NCAA signed is own death warrant due to its inequitable handling of enforcement & punishment standpoint. That was the main point of the NCAA was to make sure the students remained as "amateur status" and "students".
They got away from this core mission in favor of protecting branding and marketing dollars.
The UNCheat ordeal highlighted the bias of the NCAA. This has been going on with the NCAA for decades.
Schools are now getting wise to the hypocrisy.
I don't know what will replace the status quo but I hope Tech is prepared for the new landscape.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In my mind this goes hand-in-hand the other thread about 'When will Tech win a CFB NC again?' My answer to that is "not in this era". College Football was worlds away different in 1990 (and even that took a million things to go just right), much less 1952... I just don't see Tech getting past the money, corruption and bias of the Networks, NCAA and Conferences that want a 'bigger name brand' in the playoffs to sell merch and TV ads.

The NCAA isn't going to survive and it's death is going to be ugly.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Compare what we did and how we were punished and what UNCheat did and their lack of punishment, yet we are labeled as repeat offeners. I think it became so obvious to everyone and with the basketball corruption ahead, if they screw it up, schools will start the process of either overhauling the current model or design a new one.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the even bigger question is what happens to the college campus all over the country? This is just me, but I believe we're in for really big change with how we educate in this country. There's no need for institutions to teach information/knowledge because it's every where, what's needed is to teach critical thinking and on the job training for the field people are seeking. I even think the basics will go under the knife somehow. Our education system is not matching up with the needs for our nation IMO.
I do see the need for Engineering, Technology, science in some sort of campus setting along with some medical and there may be one or two I'm missing, but the rest looks to me like it could drastically change. For those on our boards that were wondering about UGA and others starting engineering schools, now we know why. The CYA move.
There is something that I think is needed worse than anything else and that's aptitude testing, not question and answer but the type where you're actually doing things to determine what you're best suited for, I only know of one outfit that does it well and that's Johnson O'Conner, that's not to say there are not others that do the "doing things model", I just don't know of them. How many times have I heard people later in their life say they never felt like they were doing what they were really suited for, and it obviously had been a source of frustration for them much of their adult life. The question and answer type is worthless IMO, ego gets in there and screws up the truth.
IMO we have some very interesting years with big change in how we do things coming for our nation. Lots of opportunity ahead for people who know how to recognize opportunity. Should be lots of opportunity in the education field IMO.
Wow! did not mean for this to go so long. I stop.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
IMO we have some very interesting years with big change in how we do things coming for our nation. Lots of opportunity ahead for people who know how to recognize opportunity. Should be lots of opportunity in the education field IMO.

just my $.02 after teaching HS as my second career the last several years. I thought that the brick and mortar school would be obsolete in the not too distant future. But, after teaching online since the quarantine, I don't think either the majority of the teachers nor the students felt it was as effective as interactive live classroom learning. The best students are successful no matter what the conditions. They are the GT type student who will dig out what they need to know individually as most of us old timers did at Tech when the teaching wasn't the best and the retention rate reflected that. But that is a very small % of students. My paradigm has shifted somewhat. I am more convinced that traditional learning is best for 80-95% of the general population.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
just my $.02 after teaching HS as my second career the last several years. I thought that the brick and mortar school would be obsolete in the not too distant future. But, after teaching online since the quarantine, I don't think either the majority of the teachers nor the students felt it was as effective as interactive live classroom learning. The best students are successful no matter what the conditions. They are the GT type student who will dig out what they need to know individually as most of us old timers did at Tech when the teaching wasn't the best and the retention rate reflected that. But that is a very small % of students. My paradigm has shifted somewhat. I am more convinced that traditional learning is best for 80-95% of the general population.

I don't know that we will do away with the B&M schools K thru 12, but believe the type of school, how it is sponsored, how the professionals are paid etc will probably change, think the advanced education is where we might see the biggest change. I do think the internet will be used extensively to where it eventually dominates in advanced education along with practical application.. Lord I don't know how it is all going to shake out, but feel real sure there is going to be substantial change. I think the signs of change have been all around us for a good while now. The signs of change in CFB have been all around us, just not sure how it shakes out either. If we reduce the number of colleges in this country, and I see too many people saying that is already underway and will pick up steam, then how does that effect CFB, not sure myself.

slugboy

Staff member

It’s not the same looking at someone else’s test on Zoom.

More seriously, my kids found the language classes like German did OK, but science and engineering really suffered. Sometimes you need to sit around a table and build something

(Sorry, went way off topic)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

My daughter has been in one of the online schools for the last two years because the local school she would be in ends after 4:00PM which would interfere with gymnastics. Using a program that is specifically set up for online learning seems to work OK. However, she is tired of being alone and believes that she learns better when she has a physical connection to a real teacher. For the online school, the teachers have hundreds of students instead of tens of students which makes it difficult to have a real connection. She will be changing gyms next year and going back to a brick and mortar school next fall (if they are open).

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The NCAA serves as a shield for the schools. They're a scapegoat for schools to point to and say "NCAA put the rules in place, and we're just following them..."

Agreed, which is one reason why I think the obituary is premature. I think there's a far better chance of the P5 revamping the NCAA to better serve its needs than actually leaving it.

Maybe the even bigger question is what happens to the college campus all over the country? This is just me, but I believe we're in for really big change with how we educate in this country. There's no need for institutions to teach information/knowledge because it's every where, what's needed is to teach critical thinking and on the job training for the field people are seeking. I even think the basics will go under the knife somehow. Our education system is not matching up with the needs for our nation IMO.
I do see the need for Engineering, Technology, science in some sort of campus setting along with some medical and there may be one or two I'm missing, but the rest looks to me like it could drastically change. For those on our boards that were wondering about UGA and others starting engineering schools, now we know why. The CYA move.
There is something that I think is needed worse than anything else and that's aptitude testing, not question and answer but the type where you're actually doing things to determine what you're best suited for, I only know of one outfit that does it well and that's Johnson O'Conner, that's not to say there are not others that do the "doing things model", I just don't know of them. How many times have I heard people later in their life say they never felt like they were doing what they were really suited for, and it obviously had been a source of frustration for them much of their adult life. The question and answer type is worthless IMO, ego gets in there and screws up the truth.
Oh, yeah. Just what I want is a doctor who can "think critically" but doesn't know beans about biology, biochemistry, surgical techniques and advancements, etc. Or a history teacher who can teach his or her "critical thinking" about events in history that he or she thinks are important but never teaches and probably doesn't even know actual history. Or even a language or literature teacher who can "think critically" about language or literature, but doesn't know or even care about proper grammar and spelling and communication skills, so that we end up with a bunch of generally illiterate "critical thinkers". WOW. That kind of approach to education is part of the reason the education system in our country sucks today.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Agreed, which is one reason why I think the obituary is premature. I think there's a far better chance of the P5 revamping the NCAA to better serve its needs than actually leaving it.
From a revenue perspective, the NCAA is only meaningful to P5 schools in basketball. If I understand correctly, the P5 schools already control their own destiny financially in football, independent of the NCAA, and thus the point that it is a smokescreen to protect the schools is quite accurate.

Nevertheless, at its heart it is the school presidents who control these decisions, and it would not surprise me to see the P5 breakaway to form a new NCAA focused on their issues and needs, and allow the other 200 schools in lower Divisions remain in the NCAA. This would allow the P5 schools to govern more effectively the big issues looming like athlete's pay, etc. Those issues have little relevancy for the lower level schools anyway.