Why is Thacker still employed?

yellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Someone close to the program please explain why a coach involved in one of the worst defenses in Tech history is still around.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Someone close to the program please explain why a coach involved in one of the worst defenses in Tech history is still around.
I'm not close to the program, but I'll speculate that the biggest reason might be recruiting. If he were fired, we might have lost our two rare as hen's teeth 4-star defensive line signees.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
247 posted a podcast today (it’s free, I do not have a subscription) and they mentioned they had heard Thacker was on his way out either somewhere else or to an off the field position. They also mentioned that open spot would probably go to a dedicated Special Teams coach. Don’t know how “in the know” they are but sounded like they were connected to the inner circle of GTAA.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
247 posted a podcast today (it’s free, I do not have a subscription) and they mentioned they had heard Thacker was on his way out either somewhere else or to an off the field position. They also mentioned that open spot would probably go to a dedicated Special Teams coach. Don’t know how “in the know” they are but sounded like they were connected to the inner circle of GTAA.
This is interesting. Mostly because Collins promised new leadership on both sides of the ball at the end of the season. Maybe he was just dragging it out until all the other hires had been made?

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Where did you find the podcast? Rod McKenzie or are you referring to Bryce’s locked on podcast?

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for sharing…my head is spinning! Its very confusing and impossible to keep up with! Hope when this wheel stops turning it works out for all.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Because the person making the decision is the coach involved in the worst 3-year performance in Tech history.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
This is interesting. Mostly because Collins promised new leadership on both sides of the ball at the end of the season. Maybe he was just dragging it out until all the other hires had been made?
I'd be surprised if he hired a new DC, his "I'm regarded as an elite DC" comment made it sound like he's taking personal ownership of the job and willing to put his reputation on the line that the defense improves significantly. Hiring a new DC but not letting him run his defense would be odd, but I don't think Collins has the connections for a home run hire type DC that he could totally trust, based on the other recent hires.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd be surprised if he hired a new DC, his "I'm regarded as an elite DC" comment made it sound like he's taking personal ownership of the job and willing to put his reputation on the line that the defense improves significantly. Hiring a new DC but not letting him run his defense would be odd, but I don't think Collins has the connections for a home run hire type DC that he could totally trust, based on the other recent hires.
Yeah, I agree. I think 'Collins as DC' would be considered new defensive leadership if Thacker is let go, though.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Plan A was likely to hire a new DC with Thacker as LB coach. CGC looked for a new DC, couldn’t find anyone good willing to jump on the sinking ship, so he went with Plan B: Thacker as DC and new LB coach.

CGC didn’t know if he could get a new DC so he was intentionally vague about Thacker’s new role in the post season press conference.