Why don't we run Triple Option anymore?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry, but anybody who thinks we run midline more than veer (bread and butter triple) doesn't understand our O. Fact.
I don't think we run either one of them that often this year. Lots of counters, follows, tosses, etc., but it just feels like we're running a lot less option plays...or maybe it's just that on the veer plays we do run Taquon is making his mind up to keep it much too early and taking a steep angle of attack, so it just doesn't look the same.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know how much TO we are actually running. I do know we are way outside of our comfort zone in play calling the last few games. We are having to do stuff we don't want to do in order to force things and it's not working well. Even against VT we were running things we don't look comfortable with. This time of year is when the O is supposed to have gelled and is rolling, not sputtering like it is.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Before we try to answer why we don't run it much, do we have any data other than fan assumption? How much did we run it last year? How does that number compare to this year? Only coach can answer these questions, I don't trust fan guesswork. I'd take LD's opinion, however, he's watched enough of our games in slow mo to have the best idea.

The Aback's are much less involved, that much is true. But that can be due to a multitude of reasons.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Before we try to answer why we don't run it much, do we have any data other than fan assumption? How much did we run it last year? How does that number compare to this year? Only coach can answer these questions, I don't trust fan guesswork. I'd take LD's opinion, however, he's watched enough of our games in slow mo to have the best idea.

The Aback's are much less involved, that much is true. But that can be due to a multitude of reasons.
Yeah, very true. But I don't really want to go watch 5 losses to figure it out :)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, very true. But I don't really want to go watch 5 losses to figure it out :)
To be completely honest, I've been so busy on Saturday's this fall, I've missed most of our games. I've listened to some on internet radio when able. I have them all recorded, but can't find the stomach to watch any of the losses. Weird season for me.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
If you watch our tackles try to block an inside linebacker, you’ll know really quickly why we don’t run it often.
This is probably the #1 reason. JT looked great making pitches in '14, but looked a lot like Taq in '15.

Taquon doesn’t look very comfortable pitching the ball (see OT against TN).
Needs game experience...however as someone noted in this thread his pitches have looked better in the last couple of games.

I think the problem with the option this year has been the QB- option man pitch relationship. It has been off a lot.
Again, game experience. The backs need reps with Taq to maintain the proper relationship.

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
Its funny how people said the same thing about Matthew Jordan and not pitching it. This is why most people (including myself) did not want to see MJ as the QB. However after watching these last couple of games, at least MJ got up field right away. TQ goes more E-W thus allowing the LB to get there in time and we end up with a lot of zero and negative gains thus creating longer to go situations. Even if MJ only got 3-4 yards a play, at least it was positive yards and we did not have to throw on 3rd down every time.

Vad Lee's issue (in my opinion) was he did not like to get hit which is an issue in our offense. He did not fight for those extra yards. Lucas, I think, is the ideal candidate because he can do both passing and throwing better than average and sometimes that is all you need. Having QBs who are great at running but are below average at throwing/completing passes (TQ/JJ/MJ) only have a certain peak they can reach in this offense. Someone like Lucas, while not as good as the other 3 at running but is more is than adequate at it, would be the most ideal because he gives the most options (pun intended) for success for any situation the game is in. This is assuming he can throw of course (which would have been nice to see him in there this past weekend......)

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Its funny how people said the same thing about Matthew Jordan and not pitching it. This is why most people (including myself) did not want to see MJ as the QB. However after watching these last couple of games, at least MJ got up field right away. TQ goes more E-W thus allowing the LB to get there in time and we end up with a lot of zero and negative gains thus creating longer to go situations. Even if MJ only got 3-4 yards a play, at least it was positive yards and we did not have to throw on 3rd down every time.

Vad Lee's issue (in my opinion) was he did not like to get hit which is an issue in our offense. He did not fight for those extra yards. Lucas, I think, is the ideal candidate because he can do both passing and throwing better than average and sometimes that is all you need. Having QBs who are great at running but are below average at throwing/completing passes (TQ/JJ/MJ) only have a certain peak they can reach in this offense. Someone like Lucas, while not as good as the other 3 at running but is more is than adequate at it, would be the most ideal because he gives the most options (pun intended) for success for any situation the game is in. This is assuming he can throw of course (which would have been nice to see him in there this past weekend......)
May be true, but we won't know until he gets his shot. Might not be until 2019.

I will say that I do not think it's a coincidence that our best two seasons came in 2009 and 2014 when we had great receivers. I know the thread is about not running TO, but when was the last time we ran a smoke route where we just turn and throw it out to the wide out? We did that a TON in 2009 and 2014. Ricky is a big guy, so I think he'd be able to break a tackle and get some yards on this play...maybe Taquon can't execute it well.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Could it be that they have 9 in the box and wr's are covered. Against Dook we did not block anyone in the 2nd half. Not sure what they were doing but we were outnumbered on the edge. Someone was missing blocks. I saw it live and cannot bring myself to watch the replay.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
You have an athletic A back playing QB. CPJ needs to consider in the Spring placing Lucas at QB, TQM at A back and also get JJ on the field some at A back. Even though we run 80% of the time, we need a QB who can make the passes the other 20% of the time to make us effective.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
May be true, but we won't know until he gets his shot. Might not be until 2019.

I will say that I do not think it's a coincidence that our best two seasons came in 2009 and 2014 when we had great receivers. I know the thread is about not running TO, but when was the last time we ran a smoke route where we just turn and throw it out to the wide out? We did that a TON in 2009 and 2014. Ricky is a big guy, so I think he'd be able to break a tackle and get some yards on this play...maybe Taquon can't execute it well.
Camp is a big guy too.

You have an athletic A back playing QB. CPJ needs to consider in the Spring placing Lucas at QB, TQM at A back and also get JJ on the field some at A back. Even though we run 80% of the time, we need a QB who can make the passes the other 20% of the time to make us effective.

Agreed. TM is over his head at QB. The guy's got terrible mechanics that get worse and has trouble making decisions on running plays. He'd probably be great as A-Back. I say give Lucas a chance. I've seen enough of TaQuon as QB.

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed. TM is over his head at QB. The guy's got terrible mechanics that get worse and has trouble making decisions on running plays. He'd probably be great as A-Back. I say give Lucas a chance. I've seen enough of TaQuon as QB.

Agreed. TaQuon needs to play but as an A-Back or Punt Returner. I'd love to see JJ as an A-Back but he will most likely transfer out if Lucas gets the job. Also do not sleep on Tobias Oliver, I loved the tape on him.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
This offense needs N-S runners....not E-W. Thats what made 2014 so special. Those guys hit it and hit it hard. 2-3 yard gain > 2 yard loss. Too much lost yardage to go with too many turnovers = losing all the close games.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I know I can't be the only ones who's noticed this. It seems like Tech only has 6-7 plays now.
Midline
Dive
Counter
Toss
Fake Dive counter
QB Draw
Fake Counter Deep pass.
I don't get it at all. The ABacks never get the ball anymore.

Every drive I feel like we do the same thing :
1st and 10 - Dive
2nd and 6 - Fake Dive Counter
3rd and 4 - QB Draw or Midline
Rince and Repeat. I hope against UGA we go back to more Triple and Paul trust someone other than Quon to make a play. We should have 7-8 guys carry the ball against UGA.
way down from the 8 or 9 Johnson normally takes into a game.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I really have no idea what these stats mean :

2016 in 13 games
A-back carries 123 Avg per game 9.46
Qb rush att, 137 Avg per game 10.5
total rushes 606 Avg per game 46.6
passes 160 at 52% Avg per game 12.3

2017 only 10 games
A-back carries 102 Avg per game 10.2
Qb rush att 230 Avg per game 23
total rushes 586 Avg per game 58.6
passes 110 at 38% Avg per game 11

not sure what this means other than I don't see the A-back rushing att being as low as some think.

could be when you not happy with the way the season is going you just look for something . The only thing I see is a big step back on our passing game and looking at the number of plays less quick scores this year.

Note : These stats were by someone who could have missed a carry or two due to a few too many beers last night.