Why Dodd why?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Was a gt student in west stands - great game. L Snow was a great rb and dodd played close to vest. We won 13 to 12 irrc.

But next game gt 6 tennesse 3 was classic.
Bud Carson's defense was just plain nasty.
Yes, whatever faults Coach Carson had as a head coach he was an outstanding defensive coordinator. The 6 to 3 win over a top 10 Tennessee team was one for the ages.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Was a gt student in west stands - great game. L Snow was a great rb and dodd played close to vest. We won 13 to 12 irrc.

But next game gt 6 tennesse 3 was classic.
Yes, time has warped my memory in so many ways. That team was one of Coach Dodd's favorite teams not because of national accolades or championships but he felt like they got more out of their ability than just about any team he ever coached. They won a bunch of close games that year including the aforementioned one against Clemson at 13 -12.

The 6-3 game was my favorite game for years. Today many people would consider it boring because of the low score
I LOVE close games like that. They are the most intense games there are. My favorite all time game was the '62 (Remember Darwin Holt) Bama game (7-6 Tech). I was there for both that game and the 1966 Clemson and Tenn games. Although I wasn't there, I might have seen it on TV (yes, it was televised), the 1956 Tech - Tenn (6-0 Tenn) was long considered by many to be the best football game ever played.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes, whatever faults Coach Carson had as a head coach he was an outstanding defensive coordinator. The 6 to 3 win over a top 10 Tennessee team was one for the ages.
I remember Coach Noll always correcting reporters giving him (Noll) credit for the "Steel Curtain" defense.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I LOVE close games like that. They are the most intense games there are. My favorite all time game was the '62 (Remember Darwin Holt) Bama game (7-6 Tech). I was there for both that game and the 1966 Clemson and Tenn games. Although I wasn't there, I might have seen it on TV (yes, it was televised), the 1956 Tech - Tenn (6-0 Tenn) was long considered by many to be the best football game ever played.
I was in the 8th grade when the 1956 Tech-Tenn game was played. The loss cost GT the National Championship.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
I was in the 8th grade when the 1956 Tech-Tenn game was played. The loss cost GT the National Championship.
Dunno about that, '65. Bud Wilkinson had quite a string going. IIRC, even undefeated Tennessee finished 2nd in polling in 1956 and we finished 4th.
A member of the College Football Hall of Fame, Charles (Bud) Wilkinson coached Sooner teams that were ranked first in the nation after the 1950, 1955 and 1956 seasons. From the third game of the 1953 season through the seventh game of the 1957 season, his teams won every game, a National Collegiate Athletic Association record of 47 that still stands. The streak ended with a 7-0 loss to Notre Dame.
He served as the head football coach at the University of Oklahoma from 1947 to 1963, compiling a record of 145–29–4.
https://www.nytimes.com/1994/02/11/...7-who-guided-oklahoma-championship-teams.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bud_Wilkinson

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Maybe so, but they drilled Notre Dame in ND by 40-0 in 1956 and decked Texas by 45-0 in Dallas. They were ranked #1 from the start of the season to the end apparently.

Strange that they didn't go to a bowl game that year. I know there were very few bowls, but the #1 team from start to finish? They only played one ranked team, #22 Colorado, and every other team on their schedule finished with a losing record (including ND and Texas). Two math-based systems put GT at #1 that year (but GT lost to Tennessee, which also lost only one game, to Baylor in the Sugar Bowl). Would have been a 4-team playoff between Tennessee, GT, Oklahoma, and Iowa, which played 4 ranked teams and lost only to Michigan.

One of my all-time favorite football players was on that '56 Oklahoma team, little guy with a big heart, Tommy McDonald.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Maybe so, but they drilled Notre Dame in ND by 40-0 in 1956 and decked Texas by 45-0 in Dallas. They were ranked #1 from the start of the season to the end apparently.
1956, Paul Hornung won the Heisman on a 2-8 team which was one game better than the longhorns.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What comes to mind with such references is how great those rivalries across the SEC were. I mean really, stone serious rivalries. And in the days before cable TV, ESPN, the internet, the radio and Sunday's newspaper were the conduits for scores. I recall some radio going by regions and giving the Ivy League scores: Lehigh, Cornell, Princeton .... those were distant places to me, mysterious places. You know what? Cable TV commonized it. It seems to have lost all its mystique and nobody bothers with it. Then we waited for a score to be announced. Today we wait for it to crawl across the TV.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What comes to mind with such references is how great those rivalries across the SEC were. I mean really, stone serious rivalries. And in the days before cable TV, ESPN, the internet, the radio and Sunday's newspaper were the conduits for scores. I recall some radio going by regions and giving the Ivy League scores: Lehigh, Cornell, Princeton .... those were distant places to me, mysterious places. You know what? Cable TV commonized it. It seems to have lost all its mystique and nobody bothers with it. Then we waited for a score to be announced. Today we wait for it to crawl across the TV.

I remember listening to those scores on the radio as a kid in the sixties. Lehigh always got my attention, I guess because it sounded like a high school. And Holy Cross... Yes, a lot of the mystique is missing from those days. I'm sure that's not so easy to grasp unless you were around back then.

"Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day..." -Both Sides Now, Joni Mitchell

I remember listening to those scores on the radio as a kid in the sixties. Lehigh always got my attention, I guess because it sounded like a high school. And Holy Cross... Yes, a lot of the mystique is missing from those days. I'm sure that's not so easy to grasp unless you were around back then.

"Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day..." -Both Sides Now, Joni Mitchell
I remember always hearing the Lehigh score too. Do they even field a football team now?

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Heartbreaker! I was a junior in HS listening to a distant Tenn radio station that kept fading in and out. Probably the crucial play was a Tenn third down near mid field - a pass from Johnny Majors, completed for a sizable gain when Tech's Wade Mitchell and Paul Rotenberry ran into each other defending the pass. Tenn went on to score the game's only TD. They were undefeated at the end of the season but lost to Baylor in the Sugar Bowl.