Why do we Think like This?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Frankly, the MOST important element to me is simply this....2 weeks ago we had a chance to become really relevant in the national stage. Had we beaten Notre Dame we would have become the hot ticket of the year on ESPN, and recruits everywhere would be looking at us more seriously. We might even begin to attract more sidewalk fans, which we need desperately. Even last week we still had the chance and hope that we could bounce back with a special season.

All of that would have really helped build momentum for GT as a football program. Improved recruiting would help our chances at national prominence, and a stronger, larger, growing fan base would begin an upward spiral in media attention. Those things increase the odds of winning national championships.

Now, those hopes seem crushed (again) and we have only our own small GT community that really cares about GT football. We aren't even an afterthought anymore on the national stage, and any recruiting juice we might have gotten from another special season seems gone with the wind. We have had 2 very good years under CPJ and 4 rather mediocre years (yes, I call 7-5 mediocre). You can argue about expectations all you want, but I would like more than 2 out of 7 years to be very good, and would love one more special year before I pass ...and time is running out for me.

I get what you are saying. But you are much younger than I. When you are my age, you will realize that there are not that many seasons left, and yes, you do begin to hope for one more really special season like 1990 was.
You're views are about the same as mine. Techreally had a chance to get on the big stage with the ND game, yet failed. A team only get so many chances at something like this. Now were back to being irrelevant even in the ACC. We have a coach that continually blames the players for poor play and not being able to grasp their assignments. Looks like a good season followed by 2 so/so seasons is our MO.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It is a law somewhere. You can only have a better season one game at a time. That game is t 3:30 p.m. today.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You're views are about the same as mine. Techreally had a chance to get on the big stage with the ND game, yet failed. A team only get so many chances at something like this. Now were back to being irrelevant even in the ACC. We have a coach that continually blames the players for poor play and not being able to grasp their assignments. Looks like a good season followed by 2 so/so seasons is our MO.
Gotta love those bandwagon fans, god bless 'em. Don't let it leave without you. Going out or coming in.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Well said.

A weekend with a loss is better than a weekend without college football.

Let's enjoy the season. Go Jackets!
Not hardly.
Put me in the "better to have died as a young boy than fumble the football" category. There's something not right with the world when the good guys don't win. Evil triumphs too often over goodness. Understand the sentiment though as the non-football part of the year is boring.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is a law somewhere. You can only have a better season one game at a time. That game is 3:30 p.m. today.

Corollary: Can't put together back to back good years since Dodd left. (Power Ranking ~.800) So given our experience, this year will not be different. But we'll be back next year.
image.png

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Gotta love those bandwagon fans, god bless 'em. Don't let it leave without you. Going out or coming in.
Lets see.....bandwagon fan ?Season ticket holder since 1988, been a Tech fan since 1962, raised 2 sons as Tech fans, one is a season ticket holder also. Been to several bowl games, the ND game this year was the third Tech/ND game I've attended in South Bend ...... call me whatever makes you feel good Skeptic!

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Corollary: Can't put together back to back good years since Dodd left. (Power Ranking ~.800) So given our experience, this year will not be different. But we'll be back next year.
image.png

O'Leary had 5 AP top 25 final poll teams in a row from 97-01 after he cleaned up the Lewis mess. I am not sure how you define back to back good years, but they were back to back good years in my opinion.

Three years out of 5 with losing FBS records--which is the current run--isn't even back to back decent years.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Lets see.....bandwagon fan ?Season ticket holder since 1988, been a Tech fan since 1962, raised 2 sons as Tech fans, one is a season ticket holder also. Been to several bowl games, the ND game this year was the third Tech/ND game I've attended in South Bend ...... call me whatever makes you feel good Skeptic!
OK.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Tell you what: if you will ignore both my posts I would appreciate it. They were both smarmy as I look back at them. I apologize. Keep buying the tickets.