Why do we seem to follow big seasons with letdown seasons?

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I've seen a lot of micro analysis about specific things to this team, but it's way beyond CPJ's 2 minute drill playcalling.

It can't be purely lack of talent. Maybe lack of depth. But I am pretty sure that our QB and OL didn't up and regress talent-wise overnight.

Some of you older folks may remember 1991 being surprisingly disappointing as well.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I want to think it's program culture. I mean for God's sake DUKE has had 23 wins since the start of 2013 compared to our 20, and I know they've had an easier schedule but I'd like to believe we still have better athletes. So what gives?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think most teams with mid level talent go through this. I think that since the 50's we haven't had overwhelming talent advantage. It happens, why? (No particular order)

1) Easier to play as the under dog. You only become conservative when you have something to conserve;
2) Injuries;
3) Other teams prepare for you more. Your tendencies are examined more and exploited. You can only peak a few times a season and the season becomes a grind;
4) Big plays that could change a game go one way one year and different the next;
5) Other teams are trying to win too and "grow" different amounts from year to year. The average football team is much better than one 10 years ago with constantly elevating talent.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
We are cursed. But seriously, I agree with Nuke's summary. Also this team doesn't appear to have the killer instinct of last year's team. End of thread.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Look guys we lost a ton of experience on offense. Then the injury bug hits the same positions we lost out experience. Those guys have looked good in spots, but have also not looked so good in spots. I mean we are playing people that a few weeks ago were at other positions or destined for a redshirt. If they were our best option they would have been starting week 1. Plus we've played 3 pretty good teams the last three weeks. I feel we will get better by the end of then year I just hope we don't lose too much confidence by then to get better.

Also, I do believe there has been some strange calls by CPJ, but there have been plenty of plays were they guys werre put in positions to succeed, and didn't capitolize on the opportunity.

Keep the faith.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Look guys we lost a ton of experience on offense. Then the injury bug hits the same positions we lost out experience. Those guys have looked good in spots, but have also not looked so good in spots. I mean we are playing people that a few weeks ago were at other positions or destined for a redshirt. If they were our best option they would have been starting week 1. Plus we've played 3 pretty good teams the last three weeks. I feel we will get better by the end of then year I just hope we don't lose too much confidence by then to get better.

Also, I do believe there has been some strange calls by CPJ, but there have been plenty of plays were they guys werre put in positions to succeed, and didn't capitolize on the opportunity.

Keep the faith.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Nuke speaks truth. As good as last season was, and as nice as the potential was for the season, the margins are VERY thin for us. Our team is playing hard and not giving up, but they also are not making the plays they did last year to win. A few key injuries, a few mistakes here and there...and here we sit at 2-3. The season is not lost, but it has been a good reminder that we still do not have the talent and depth to make mistakes and win consistently. The difference between a really good team and a average team is razor thin. We could have won that game in about 5 different ways yesterday...but we didn't. We made mistakes when we needed precision and execution.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think most teams with mid level talent go through this. I think that since the 50's we haven't had overwhelming talent advantage. It happens, why? (No particular order)

1) Easier to play as the under dog. You only become conservative when you have something to conserve;
2) Injuries;
3) Other teams prepare for you more. Your tendencies are examined more and exploited. You can only peak a few times a season and the season becomes a grind;
4) Big plays that could change a game go one way one year and different the next;
5) Other teams are trying to win too and "grow" different amounts from year to year. The average football team is much better than one 10 years ago with constantly elevating talent.

Nice analysis. I'll add one more: we tend to underestimate how good guys like Laskey, Days, and our other seniors were last year, (Obviously, Mason and Smelter stood out and our "eye ball" test was confirmed by the NFL draft. I don't think Waller was as appreciated until he was drafted). The athleticism AND experience (and perhaps leadership) they brought to the table is too easily dismissed by us in general.the guys in their place this year are athletic...they just haven't had 4-5 years in the program.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All is well?...
I guess my biggest point is that we are characterizing the ENTIRE SEASON after 5 games of football. Has the season gone well to date? No. Are things looking great right now. No.

If, after starting this season 5 games undefeated (one can dream right?) would it be appropriate to proclaim we have followed up one great season with another? No.

There are 7 regular season games left. There is plenty of time to characterize the SEASON come December.

GTMD

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes only 5 games in BUT with 7 left that include Clem, uga, fsu and VT we could be looking at losing season and bowl streak snap unless we have minor miracle

Season comes to to beating uga now I don't care about ANYthing else

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
In this particular case, we had a big season last year because we had very good, very experienced talent in the skill positions. For example, two NFL caliber WRs. This year we have almost no experience in the skill positions. And that was before we had ten people not able to play the last game due to injuries. Just think about our A back rotation I the UNC game as a glaring example, and compare that to any game last year. Of course we are not going to be as effective.

My hope is that we will get better every game and become a good football team before the season is over.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
we were VERY lucky last yr in several instances--Gotsis not getting a flag for roughing vs VaT on a KEY int comes to mind, how any times would Butker kick a 52 yder at end, Watson getting hurt at clempson, 5 TOs in half at pitt,PLEEZE-- ETC
it isn't happening now

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd be as happy as anyone if we ripped off 7 wins in a row. Feel free to dig this thread up if we do, but I don't think we win out.

An 8 win season is good to me but it's far more likely we see 7-5 or 6-6. The only way the latter two make me happy is a UGA AND bowl win.

If that's unreasonable, then maybe I need to adjust my expectations down. However, I believe this program should hit 8-9 wins consistently.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Put a knife to my throat, hold me hostage and ask me how many game we win at this point and I will (in a squeaky voice) say "five."

Having said that, we are so much closer to being a better team than that. It is little miscues, lapses in focus and key bad plays happening in combination with a record number of injuries that have made this a much more miserable season than we should have had.

As to comparisons with the '91 team.. hmmm....

My memory is vague about this but I seem to recall we had off season problems with some of our star players getting into trouble, we lost some senior leadership and we had some injuries. We also seemed to have a fall off in team cohesion and focus which got coupled with teams on our schedule gunning for us. Last but not least we lost senior leadership on our offensive line and star safety Ken Swilling played hurt his entire senior season. I would be curious if anyone wanted to do a compare and contrast piece between the '91 team and the 2015 team.