Why do we seem to follow big seasons with letdown seasons?

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess it is not so simple as that to me.

So don't take this as my wanting to argue the point so much as wanting to make sure that you understand my opinion on "expanded recruiting territory." Keep in mind that I have already said I favor expanding the recruiting territory. Now the analogy.

Let's say you are in a company that sells widgets. Lots of other companies are also selling widgets. How do you command a larger market share? History has shown that, while R&D is good, it is best not to sink too much money into it because innovations in widgets are rare at best and, should there be a true break through innovation, your company has the legal know how to convert quickly to the new innovation and cash in like all the other widget companies.

So the real issue is about looking at territory to expand sales and concentrate your marketing there. The first place you start is your home area. You already control a share of it so it is easier to expand your percentage of the market there. Then you reach out to adjoining markets or markets where you already have a market share and work on expanding those.

The last thing you do is sink a whole lot of money in an area where (1) No one has every heard of you and (2) support for your chief competitor in that region is considered by the locals to be both a Godly and patriotic duty.

It is not that you would not ever consider cracking into that market. It is not that you are not constantly putting out feelers in that market. It is not that you would not exploit in a heart beat any sudden weakness in your competitor's market share. It is that you are wise not to sink the entire companies marketing assets in ventures that are not likely to pay off with improved market performance.
I like where you are heading ..I need to absorb and better process your interesting postulate...I see UGa with an embarrassment of riches...chubb, michel AND marshal and get frustrated...

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I like where you are heading ..I need to absorb and better process your interesting postulate...I see UGa with an embarrassment of riches...chubb, michel AND marshal and get frustrated...

Funny thing, back in the day probably before some of you young folks were even born, UGA was said to overachieve under Coach Dooley. They had talent sure but the state did not produce the abundance of riches back in the 60s and 70s that it does now. The only thing about UGA back then was how they would almost invariably play poorly in bowls. In 1968 they won the SEC and absolutely destroyed us in Athens like 48-6 went to the Sugar Bowl ranked really high to play Southwest Conference runner ups Arkansas and just got plastered Soo Pig Sooey!