Why are UGA fans so obnoxious?

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Was in an elevator today on vacation when a guy told my son he needed to use the restroom and asked could he use my son's GT shirt to wipe his butt (although, butt is not the word he used!). I was in total shock that someone could be that disgusting and rude. My son showed class by just snickering at this idiot who had none at all.

The proper comeback for that is..... "I don't think you've ever wiped your butt". :whistle:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Admittedly, in 1997, as I ended my time as a GT student, I acted less than classy when many of us ripped apart their hedges for souvenirs after beating them in Athens. Enjoyed the experience at the time, but not one of my classier moments.
Well, at least you didn't poison the hedges.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Miami fans are terrible, but uga fans take the cake. One jumped a GT fan walking to the game with his kid right in front of me in 2009. I doubt he made the game, he had a soft face.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Was in an elevator today on vacation when a guy told my son he needed to use the restroom and asked could he use my son's GT shirt to wipe his butt (although, butt is not the word he used!). I was in total shock that someone could be that disgusting and rude. My son showed class by just snickering at this idiot who had none at all.

It's because they generally are not capable of attaining anything higher in their lives than identifying with a mediocre university.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's been my experience that UGA grads, like most grads, are fine until the booze starts flowing. I know I've seen my fair share of drunk fans at many different stadia shwing their rears. There are those at the extreme in every fanbase, it's just some school's extremes are larger and more present than others. I think of UGA, LSU (only for night games) and WVU as having the worst reputations.

Animal02

Banned
It's been my experience that UGA grads, like most grads, are fine until the booze starts flowing. I know I've seen my fair share of drunk fans at many different stadia shwing their rears. There are those at the extreme in every fanbase, it's just some school's extremes are larger and more present than others. I think of UGA, LSU (only for night games) and WVU as having the worst reputations.

I do not think it is so much the alumni as it is the uneducated walmart fans.

Animal02

Banned
I shop at Walmart sometimes. Not for my fanware, but for some bulk items like soap and other stuff. Hey, I've got five kids. I shop at Costco and Super H-Mart too.

Not knocking walmart shoppers....well not all of them, just the fans that buy all their "State U" stuff there and the only time they set foot on a college campus is when someone gives them free tickets to a game.

As for Costco......I spend too much money there.....in fact, will be buying a 75 inch screen there on Tuesday........football is only a little over a month away.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Now, it's pains me to say this, but one of the worst fan experiences I've ever had in my many years going to football games was with Georgia Tech alumni season ticket holders. This is what happened. I had 4 season tickets in upper east section 222, the fans in the row in front of us were young Tech alumni. They were very drunk and they were standing on top of their seats totally blocking ours' and others' view of the game. A grandfather and his young grandson sitting beside me ask them if they would 'please' sit down, and he was informed that they never sit down and if they wanted to see they wpould have to stand up. So I ask them firmly but politely to please sit down and if they didn't I'd report them to the ushers. The ringleader (tall,, good looking preppy young man, so drunk he was weaving) told to get #$%@, that those were his seats and he would whatever he wanted. He announced to me twice that he was a 'Georgia Tech Alumni' (he was dressed in a white collard shirt, yellow slacks with a flask in his back pocket) and he had those seats for 3 years and he always stood up the whole game. So I went to the usher who had been watching the whole time and he came over and told them they would have to sit down, and they threatened him. The usher went and got the police who told them they had to sit down or leave, they informed the policeman the they were 'Georgia Tech Alumni' and they could do what they wanted. The policeman told him he didn't if he was the 'crown prince of Atlanta', he was going to sit or leave. They decided to leave. He actually went and told hi Mommy that a 'mean man' (me) ruined his and his friends fun. So his Mommy came down and faced us and told us we were a#@$&&)0#s and that she and her husband were Georgia Tech Alumni and we had ruined their 'children's' good time, so she was going to ruin our good time. She then proceeded to walk up and down in their 'children's' seats and stop once in a while and call us names. The usher called the same policeman and he told her to leave or get arrested, she told him he could not do that, that she and her husband were GT Alumni, but thank goodness she went back to her seat,

There's more to it, but the post is already too long. I chalked their bad behavior up to excessive alcohol and arrogance. I agree that UGA and Miami fans are awful, but Tech has a few also. :oops:

TechPhi97

Jolly Good Fellow
Now, it's pains me to say this, but one of the worst fan experiences I've ever had in my many years going to football games was with Georgia Tech alumni season ticket holders. This is what happened. I had 4 season tickets in upper east section 222, the fans in the row in front of us were young Tech alumni. They were very drunk and they were standing on top of their seats totally blocking ours' and others' view of the game. A grandfather and his young grandson sitting beside me ask them if they would 'please' sit down, and he was informed that they never sit down and if they wanted to see they wpould have to stand up. So I ask them firmly but politely to please sit down and if they didn't I'd report them to the ushers. The ringleader (tall,, good looking preppy young man, so drunk he was weaving) told to get #$%@, that those were his seats and he would whatever he wanted. He announced to me twice that he was a 'Georgia Tech Alumni' (he was dressed in a white collard shirt, yellow slacks with a flask in his back pocket) and he had those seats for 3 years and he always stood up the whole game. So I went to the usher who had been watching the whole time and he came over and told them they would have to sit down, and they threatened him. The usher went and got the police who told them they had to sit down or leave, they informed the policeman the they were 'Georgia Tech Alumni' and they could do what they wanted. The policeman told him he didn't if he was the 'crown prince of Atlanta', he was going to sit or leave. They decided to leave. He actually went and told hi Mommy that a 'mean man' (me) ruined his and his friends fun. So his Mommy came down and faced us and told us we were a#@$&&)0#s and that she and her husband were Georgia Tech Alumni and we had ruined their 'children's' good time, so she was going to ruin our good time. She then proceeded to walk up and down in their 'children's' seats and stop once in a while and call us names. The usher called the same policeman and he told her to leave or get arrested, she told him he could not do that, that she and her husband were GT Alumni, but thank goodness she went back to her seat,

There's more to it, but the post is already too long. I chalked their bad behavior up to excessive alcohol and arrogance. I agree that UGA and Miami fans are awful, but Tech has a few also. :oops:
This is a clear cut case of Affluenza.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That is too bad. I know some alums who sit in a section where they stand for the entire game but they would not be that discourteous. I think they want the Tech atmosphere to be more like Texas A&M or LSU or some of the other big time programs where fans stand the entire time. There is a little bit of a culture clash among Tech fans these days I have noticed. There are those who fit an old stereotype of fans who sit and quietly clap when there is a big play. That used to be the old cliche about Tech gentility. Then there are those fans, especially younger ones, who would like to create the kind of home field advantage that some of the football factories have with a loud intimidating crowd.

But these guys were beyond boorish.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

They should create a standing room only section for those guys. I can understand the desire to stand and cheer at crucial moments but the guy behind you bought a ticket and has a right to see the game, too.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The GTAA moved us to section 228 per my request and that was the end of that. I stand up on kickoffs, and crucial plays, 3rd downs etc. and I understand how alcohol can affect people. But my wife has rheumatoid arthritis and my daughters were mortified, I brought a young man and his 6 year old son who had just moved here from Ohio and I was trying to convert them to Tech fans. It was a bad representation of Georgia Tech alumni. I know that they were an anomaly.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I actually have a pleasant GT/UGA experience to share. My college roommate/frat brother dated a UGA coed who had a roommate who needed a date for homecoming. Who was I to pass up a date with a UGA girl, even if it was a blind date? As it turned out, she wasn't a knockout, but she wasn't ugly, either. We went to a UGA fraternity house the majority of the evening and played drinking games. The frat boys knew I was a Tech man but never had a discourteous thing to say, not even in jest. In fact, it was quite the opposite. I was treated like one of them. The girls in the group were real friendly too, and many of them were super hot. Had a great time.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I actually have a pleasant GT/UGA experience to share. My college roommate/frat brother dated a UGA coed who had a roommate who needed a date for homecoming. Who was I to pass up a date with a UGA girl, even if it was a blind date? As it turned out, she wasn't a knockout, but she wasn't ugly, either. We went to a UGA fraternity house the majority of the evening and played drinking games. The frat boys knew I was a Tech man but never had a discourteous thing to say, not even in jest. In fact, it was quite the opposite. I was treated like one of them. The girls in the group were real friendly too, and many of them were super hot. Had a great time.
At least you weren't sleeping with the enemy. :)