Who will Key give the nod to for DB coach?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It's all speculation now - folks are already tight-lipped, and nobody seems to know anything. (Or at least they're not sharing with a turd like me)

I can say that I am told that finances are not nearly as tight as folks on here seem to think. I'm sure there's a hard ceiling for salaries, but I'm told that there isn't a hard stop based on money. If Key wants someone, they start the discussion and a decision is made. This came up regarding the DC hire, but I'm sure the same applies across the board.

This is true. We don't have a lot of money to spare, but it has been made known that the budget will be stretched (within reason) if necessary to get the right people on board.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Why wouldn’t you just announce that?

It’s possible, but it sure seems like Key is still interviewing people.
Maybe making sure he has turned over every rock to satisfy himself, and others, that it is the best choice for us?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
This is true. We don't have a lot of money to spare, but it has been made known that the budget will be stretched (within reason) if necessary to get the right people on board.
That’s good to hear. Would be a shame to have your #1 pick all lined up to sign but you’re unable to seal the deal due to an otherwise insignificant amount of money budgeted versus what said candidate is willing to accept. However there’s always that chance that the candidate will walk if their offer isn’t accepted. It’s all part of it. At the end of the day a budget has its limitations.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
That’s good to hear. Would be a shame to have your #1 pick all lined up to sign but you’re unable to seal the deal due to an otherwise insignificant amount of money budgeted versus what said candidate is willing to accept. However there’s always that chance that the candidate will walk if their offer isn’t accepted. It’s all part of it. At the end of the day a budget has its limitations.
You wouldn't even start talking to someone you are serious about without having a good idea what their demands might be and that you have that amount already slotted, would you?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The more I learn about this guy, the harder I lean:
"Jones played in 38 games over his four seasons at Lehigh, including 28 starts in the secondary. He finished with 123 career tackles, three tackles for loss and four interceptions and served as Lehigh’s punt returner in his final two seasons.

The Lawrenceville, Georgia native appeared in all 11 games as a freshman in 2014. He then started 10 games at safety in 2015, leading the team with three interceptions including a pair in a victory over Holy Cross.

Jones started the first five games of his junior season before suffering a season-ending injury at Yale, but continued to mentor the younger defensive backs in Lehigh’s championship season. He came back healthy as a senior in 2017, starting all 12 games and making a career-best 43 tackles, while adding an interception and eight pass breakups. Jones capped his Lehigh career with a second straight Patriot League title and FCS playoff appearance.

Following his graduation from Lehigh, Jones was a minicamp participant with the Memphis Express of the Alliance of American Football in 2018. The following year, Jones played overseas as a defensive back/wide receiver for the Nojima Rise of the Japan XLeague.

Upon returning to the U.S., Jones worked as a defensive backs coach and speed and agility trainer at Georgia Sports Performance. He later founded Team GQinz LLC his own defensive back training business. Four of the student-athletes he worked with at Team GQinz will be playing college football in the fall.

Jones graduated from Lehigh with a degree in sociology in 2018."

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

Happy Jim Carrey GIF

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Looks like an aggressive defensive staff coach, to go along with our new aggressive DC:

"This past season, his third season on the Georgia State staff, Cory Peoples had been elevated to secondary coach and defensive passing game coordinator. He continued to work directly with the cornerbacks while overseeing the entire defensive backfield.

Peoples has helped coach a Georgia State defense that ranks among the national (sic) for sacks, tackles for loss and turnovers forced over the last two seasons."

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Thacker's contract expired yesterday unless it was renewed, but he is still listed on our 2024 roster, along with Tillman.