Who is more likely to be drafted: Kelly or Ndongo?

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
It makes me wonder if Miles will have his GT degree by the end of summer. It doesn't make sense to transfer to AU as a sub (for sub NIL) and basically give up playing professionally without having a frameable piece of paper to hang on the wall.
I hate to generalize, but I think most of these players wanting to play pro, couldn’t care less about getting a degree.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know a ton about auburn bball, but miles doesn’t seem like a fit to me. Every time I watch them they seem loaded with super athletic type talent way beyond what miles can bring. Maybe he can fit in as purely a spot-up, catch and shoot, 3 point shooter.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Miles had a bad shooting year for sure. However it would not surprise me if he bounced back and shoots well next year at Auburn. Miles has always had the reputation as a good shooter. This is probably more of an aberration than anything. Jose Alvarado shot 37% from 3 as a freshman and dipped to a dismal 28% the following year. He improved to 33% his junior year and then 39% as a senior. I'm betting Miles will bounce back.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
IMO He would have liked to have gone pro (NBA) this year but did not have the year to get drafted. He can play another year in college and get more pay at Auburn than we could offer. He may fit Pearl's offense better than Stoudamire's or he may think he will and take his shot at the NBA next year. Would be a shame if he leaves before graduating after spending time and effort here.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO He would have liked to have gone pro (NBA) this year but did not have the year to get drafted. He can play another year in college and get more pay at Auburn than we could offer. He may fit Pearl's offense better than Stoudamire's or he may think he will and take his shot at the NBA next year. Would be a shame if he leave before graduating after spending time and effort here.
I don’t understand what you mean with the bolded. His transfer to auburn is a done deal, right? Has he completed his GT degree or not? I don’t know the answer, but I doubt if he has, but I don’t think his interest in college was in getting a degree, so what difference does it make?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand what you mean with the bolded. His transfer to auburn is a done deal, right? Has he completed his GT degree or not? I don’t know the answer, but I doubt if he has, but I don’t think his interest in college was in getting a degree, so what difference does it make?
Lots of classroom time and the sacrifices between school and traveling to midweek games. He needs to get something out of his effort and he didn't quit on the team. NBA may never happen for him.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He has committed to Auburn out of the Transfer Portal. He may be finishing up his degree this Spring or Summer and then headed to Auburn. He has not transferred yet unless he has started classes this summer, which I don't know. After being here for 4 years, I would suspect he is close to finishing if he hasn't already.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why you are accusing Miles of being a disinterested student or why you are committed to this false dichotomy between athletics and academics.

FWIW I'm not sure of the mechanics behind it but Jeff Sims got his Georgia Tech degree while an active student-athlete at Nebraska.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why you are accusing Miles of being a disinterested student or why you are committed to this false dichotomy between athletics and academics.

FWIW I'm not sure of the mechanics behind it but Jeff Sims got his Georgia Tech degree while an active student-athlete at Nebraska.
He graduated from Nebraska in December and entered the transfer portal as a grad transfer for the Spring. He paid his own way for 21 hours and graduated this Spring from Tech. Kudos to Jeff for coming back. I think the degree he received from GT (Bachelor of Science in Business Administration) may be more valuable to him (type of degree, not name at the top of the degree) after football, than what he got at Nebraska (Child, Youth, and Family Services), or at least complementary if he wants to coach. He's now headed to Arizona State.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
... I don’t think his interest in college was in getting a degree, ...
What is the basis for this? He came to GT three years ago and has represented the school in a very positive light for the entire time. You admit you know nothing about his status as a student, yet you make a bold, unfounded comment criticizing his reason for coming to GT in the first place.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve got nothing against Miles Kelly. Quite the opposite. I’ve been a fan of his the whole time he’s been at GT, and I agree that he has represented the Institute well. I haven’t said anything disparaging against him nor would I. Of course I don’t know the inner workings of his motivations or intentions in entering the nba draft (twice I think) or in transferring to auburn, but I think it’s plainly obvious, and pretty benign, to assume that making a living as a basketball player is a higher priority to Miles than pursuing a college education. Why are some of y’all so offended by me making that observation. If miles were to tell me otherwise, I would be happy to be wrong, but I’m also perfectly happy with him working the system to try to become a professional basketball player. I think it’s odd when someone inevitably remarks, “I sure hope he gets his degree first,” every time a player leaves to go play professional basketball in Lithuania or someplace. Seems like pushing your (the royal your) values on someone when they seemingly have a different set of values.
Question, what is different about Deivon Smith’s transfer to Utah other than the number of seasons Miles was at GT?

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
The foreign leagues can be very lucrative for some players. Often times the team/club they play for cover their lodging. And depending on where they play the tax situation can be much better than playing here in the states. I don't think there is anything wrong with any player pursuing their dream to have a career in their sport. If they are a few hours short of their degree they can always come back and finish it once basketball is no longer an option.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
The foreign leagues can be very lucrative for some players. Often times the team/club they play for cover their lodging. And depending on where they play the tax situation can be much better than playing here in the states. I don't think there is anything wrong with any player pursuing their dream to have a career in their sport. If they are a few hours short of their degree they can always come back and finish it once basketball is no longer an option.
Lucrative indeed. When Quinton Stephens played in Italy, the team leased a Smart car for him. He is 6'-9" tall, lol.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I’ve got nothing against Miles Kelly. Quite the opposite. I’ve been a fan of his the whole time he’s been at GT, and I agree that he has represented the Institute well. I haven’t said anything disparaging against him nor would I. Of course I don’t know the inner workings of his motivations or intentions in entering the nba draft (twice I think) or in transferring to auburn, but I think it’s plainly obvious, and pretty benign, to assume that making a living as a basketball player is a higher priority to Miles than pursuing a college education. Why are some of y’all so offended by me making that observation. If miles were to tell me otherwise, I would be happy to be wrong, but I’m also perfectly happy with him working the system to try to become a professional basketball player. I think it’s odd when someone inevitably remarks, “I sure hope he gets his degree first,” every time a player leaves to go play professional basketball in Lithuania or someplace. Seems like pushing your (the royal your) values on someone when they seemingly have a different set of values.
Question, what is different about Deivon Smith’s transfer to Utah other than the number of seasons Miles was at GT?
Do you really not see that your first post about it was worded in a way that made it sound a bit disparaging of Miles versus this post which is quite clearly supportive of Miles. Your intent may have been the same but the first post sounded more like you were giving him a bit of grief or making it sound like he was not in college to play school (in a negative way). Again your intent may not have been that but obviously that’s how it was taken. I didn’t really have any opinion either way just letting you know what a bystander thought was the difference between your posts.