Who is more likely to be drafted: Kelly or Ndongo?

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Sometimes a guy has just got to face the realization that the hottie just ain't that into you. Kelly has been here three losing seasons and one has to seriously evaluate if it isn't time to say that as a player he is just not hot enough to put up with the B.S.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Last year Kelly was projected to be a 2nd round pick in 2024. Now, after getting feedback from NBA scouts and improving his off ball skills, he is not projected on any mock draft board. I can believe he is hearing a lot of maybe it's not gonna happen messages. He also saw RJ Davis withdraw from the draft because his NIL was better than G-League money.

He waited until the final days of the portal window to submit his name, which to me says he his not unhappy at GT. As I posted earlier, I think he wants to see what his value might be elsewhere. Maybe CDS hopes he can match whatever Miles can get.

IMO, if you can get 3 years out of a highly productive SA in this age of Portal + NIL, you're doing well.

If the NBA feedback isn't good, I don't blame Kelly for leveraging his last year for as much $$$ money as he can get. This will be the last year he has this much leverage to create a nice nest egg for post college. I hope it's GT, but if it's not, I understand. I do think he'll have a pro career overseas if the NBA doesn't work out, and it will be nice to bank hundreds of thousands of $$$ before he has to go that route.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Ah, your favorite word, "narrative." It has become so overused as a thinnly veiled barb to discredit that it makes the user look dorkish. Lose the "narrative" dtm!

But yeah, for fans there is an interesting balance on how to take cases like Miles Kelly or Gapare for that matter.

There is Techster's take, which is kind of the the "unconditional love" approach to the players. They are only looking out for their futures so, who in their right mind would deny our youths their doing that?

However, there is another way to look at it: That the relationship between a player and his program is supposed to be mutually beneficial, and that both parties are supposed to be looking out for each other.

Most adults understand that there are good partnershps and bad ones, where each partner is in a balancing act of looking out for themselves but also looking out for their partner.

It is a very real possibility for those interests to be out of balance, where one partner is getting the short end of the stick.

The problem with the "unconditional love" approach is that it makes fans into suckers, for us to be expected to be sweetie pies in the pace of taking it up the rear, and thanking our "partner" for it.

I tend to think that it is too broad to smile and take the high road in every situation. Sometimes, I wonder, whether the more appropriate approach is to recognize when someone is sticking it to you and to not be pleased with that.

While I'll defend the players' right to move all they please, as a fan I reserve the right to withdraw my being their fan if I feel that the player's self-interest is so extreme as to being a mere mercenary.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ah, your favorite word, "narrative." It has become so overused as a thinnly veiled barb to discredit that it makes the user look dorkish. Lose the "narrative" dtm!

But yeah, for fans there is an interesting balance on how to take cases like Miles Kelly or Gapare for that matter.

There is Techster's take, which is kind of the the "unconditional love" approach to the players. They are only looking out for their futures so, who in their right mind would deny our youths their doing that?

However, there is another way to look at it: That the relationship between a player and his program is supposed to be mutually beneficial, and that both parties are supposed to be looking out for each other.

Most adults understand that there are good partnershps and bad ones, where each partner is in a balancing act of looking out for themselves but also looking out for their partner.

It is a very real possibility for those interests to be out of balance, where one partner is getting the short end of the stick.

The problem with the "unconditional love" approach is that it makes fans into suckers, for us to be expected to be sweetie pies in the pace of taking it up the rear, and thanking our "partner" for it.

I tend to think that it is too broad to smile and take the high road in every situation. Sometimes, I wonder, whether the more appropriate approach is to recognize when someone is sticking it to you and to not be pleased with that.

While I'll defend the players' right to move all they please, as a fan I reserve the right to withdraw my being their fan if I feel that the player's self-interest is so extreme as to being a mere mercenary.
Don't have time to read pedantic tomes. Try being more concise. Give us the TL;DR. Thanks.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

A narrative is a story. You have concocted a story. More words doesn't make the story better.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, when you are challenged, you fold like a gymnasium chair, don't you?
If this is about me, there's nothing to fold.

I know more about college basketball and Georgia Tech basketball than you.

That's a pure reality.

You posed a question. I answered it with sourced information, in Miles' Instagram post.

You then present a made-up scenario, when it's as simple as the business decision to keep options open to maximize Miles' personal benefits.

No idea what you wrote in response. I know it's not worth my time.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes a guy has just got to face the realization that the hottie just ain't that into you. Kelly has been here three losing seasons and one has to seriously evaluate if it isn't time to say that as a player he is just not hot enough to put up with the B.S.
Here's my honest opinion about Miles. I would love for him to come back and play one more year with us. I appreciate everything he's given to GT. I think we're a better team with him than without him. I also think he's better off with another year of college wherever that might be. Based on what he did on the court last season he doesn't present a reliable 3 and D kind of guy for the NBA because his offense completely disappears for long periods of time including entire games. His defense was tremendous most of last season and now he needs to get his offense back on track. I hope he does that at GT. But if he decides it is better to do that elsewhere in college then I'll wish him well (unless he goes somewhere we have to play against
biggrin.gif
). I think even without Miles we could be a better team than last season if Baye comes back. WITH Miles we're even MORE improved. Bottom line is I'm not going to scream and cry if he leaves but I'd MUCH rather he come back.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
If this is about me, there's nothing to fold.

I know more about college basketball and Georgia Tech basketball than you.

That's a pure reality.

You posed a question. I answered it with sourced information, in Miles' Instagram post.

You then present a made-up scenario, when it's as simple as the business decision to keep options open to maximize Miles' personal benefits.

No idea what you wrote in response. I know it's not worth my time.
You have time to respond, but not to read? Interesting. I guess that is where all that knowledge comes from.

Your self love is not in deficit, I'll give you that.

Business interests of two parties have two sides. No one faults any player for moving on, then why fault a program for doing the same? Or a fan?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You have time to respond, but not to read? Interesting. I guess that is where all that knowledge comes from.

Your self love is not in deficit, I'll give you that.

Business interests of two parties have two sides. No one faults any player for moving on, then why fault a program for doing the same? Or a fan?
Thanks for the self love comment, Pot.

Yours truly,
Kettle

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
A narrative is a story. You have concocted a story. More words doesn't make the story better.
Oh, here's another "narrative" user addict to chime in. A guy who pops in and out of threads with his "fans are too stupid" posts. I don't want to interrupt you with words to read.

This is the wordy story I concocted?:

"When I get my guys in here, it won't be like this" - CDS
Was Miles Kelly one of Stoudamire's guys?"

Last edited:

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the self love comment, Pot.

Yours truly,
Kettle
Maybe, but pure reality is that I would never think of saying this to another person as a means of bolstering my point:

"I know more about college basketball and Georgia Tech basketball than you.

That's a pure reality."

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh, here's another "narrative" user addict to chime in. A guy who pops in and out of threads with his "fans are too stupid" posts. I don't want to interrupt you with words to read.

This is the wordy story I concocted?:

"When I get my guys in here, it won't be like this" - CDS
Was Miles Kelly one of Stoudamire's guys?"
Not all fans are stupid. I never said that. You have concocted another narrative.

Your Miles Kelly narrative seems to be that Kelly is a drama queen who causes trouble. If you wrote more concisely I would have a better idea.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
IMHO, the team needs are Ndongo returning and landing a front court player from the Portal. Miles Kelly becomes part of our plans again if we have an available scholarship and NIL funds.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Shhh! Read the room, techst. We got a full fledged pissin' or shoutin' match breakin out.

The rest of us are around the corner tryna figure out which.

Nah, DTM has entered the "no f%cks to give" portion of his Sunday. Kinda makes the time go by faster TBH...

Have another scoop of crappy ice cream, KG...