Who are our 1-8s ?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
In all seriousness though I don't really agree with their Top 3 they picked. For me it would be #1 Jet #2 DJ White #3 Gotsis/Freeman

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I look at it as which of our guys could start for any of our opponents? Too early to tell, but I hope we have some A backs and WRs that fit that bill.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
We have a lot of talent both old and new. But so do more than half the teams on our schedule. Difference is leadership, Heart, determination, and team chemistry and I think we lead them all. Go Jackets!! THWG

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I would add self discipline and mental acuity. SA's that can handle the academic rigors of TECH probably tend to have more self discipline than the average SA's on other teams. Those who have the self discipline, smarts and study skills to pass at Tech can apply those same skills to the learning and discipline required to master their football duties as well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'll play:

IMO, a "1-8 player" is a player that is not only extremely important to our team, but a player that can play for any team in the country. A difference maker as we like to say.

1. JeT. Obvious...the most important position in football, and very few teams have a "franchise" level QB running their team. GT has one in JeT. Enjoy him while you can GT fans.

2. JHD*. He has the size/athleticism/agility/speed at a premium defensive position that would have made him a 4/5 star recruit. He changes the entire complexion of our DL. From what I saw during the spring, the guy can play for any team in the country...and the includes any DL in the vaunted SEC. *The eligibility caveat applies, of course.

3. DJ White. If he keeps up the production and consistency he did toward the back 2/3rds of the season, he's a top 4 round NFL pick. One of the better cover CBs we've had in a while...still tends to let receivers loose every now and again, but also has big play capability.

4. Gotsis. He can play DT or SDE...probably played out of position most of his career, but has anchored our DL for the last two seasons. The only guy on our DL offenses cared about double teaming. Will play on Sundays.

5. Devine. IMO, probably the most physically gifted player in terms of overall talent and prototypical size for his position, and that includes JeT. He can be as good as he wants to be, and has high round draft pick written all over him if he takes his craft seriously. Will take over the reigns of the most decorated position in CPJ's tenure, RG.

6. Freeman. Freshman All-American playing undersized and as a true freshmen. Probably needed to redshirt to physically develop, but the production he brought to the position was sorely needed.

7. Burden. Anchors the most important unit on the team, and was all conference his first year. His athleticism as a tight end in HS showed. CPJ has also talked about possibly flexing him out to guard, but way too valuable at C for that to probably happen.

8. Philpott. Yes, he's unproven. Yes he hasn't even taken a snap yet. But this guy has tools none of CPJ's WR recruits have ever had from day one. He will stretch the field from Day 1, but also brings the size and athleticism that had multiple SEC schools drooling over him towards the end of the recruiting cycle. Will not start, but will probably make a larger contribution to our team than some of the guys ahead of him right now. Don't expect him to be buried in the depth chart all season.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'll play:

IMO, a "1-8 player" is a player that is not only extremely important to our team, but a player that can play for any team in the country. A difference maker as we like to say.

1. JeT. Obvious...the most important position in football, and very few teams have a "franchise" level QB running their team. GT has one in JeT. Enjoy him while you can GT fans.

2. JHD*. He has the size/athleticism/agility/speed at a premium defensive position that would have made him a 4/5 star recruit. He changes the entire complexion of our DL. From what I saw during the spring, the guy can play for any team in the country...and the includes any DL in the vaunted SEC. *The eligibility caveat applies, of course.

3. DJ White. If he keeps up the production and consistency he did toward the back 2/3rds of the season, he's a top 4 round NFL pick. One of the better cover CBs we've had in a while...still tends to let receivers loose every now and again, but also has big play capability.

4. Gotsis. He can play DT or SDE...probably played out of position most of his career, but has anchored our DL for the last two seasons. The only guy on our DL offenses cared about double teaming. Will play on Sundays.

5. Devine. IMO, probably the most physically gifted player in terms of overall talent and prototypical size for his position, and that includes JeT. He can be as good as he wants to be, and has high round draft pick written all over him if he takes his craft seriously. Will take over the reigns of the most decorated position in CPJ's tenure, RG.

6. Freeman. Freshman All-American playing undersized and as a true freshmen. Probably needed to redshirt to physically develop, but the production he brought to the position was sorely needed.

7. Burden. Anchors the most important unit on the team, and was all conference his first year. His athleticism as a tight end in HS showed. CPJ has also talked about possibly flexing him out to guard, but way too valuable at C for that to probably happen.

8. Philpott. Yes, he's unproven. Yes he hasn't even taken a snap yet. But this guy has tools none of CPJ's WR recruits have ever had from day one. He will stretch the field from Day 1, but also brings the size and athleticism that had multiple SEC schools drooling over him towards the end of the recruiting cycle. Will not start, but will probably make a larger contribution to our team than some of the guys ahead of him right now. Don't expect him to be buried in the depth chart all season.
I know this is just a hypothetical exercise, but if you're gonna put an asterisk on JH, you better put one on Devine and Philpott, too. All the rest I'm on board with. Also, there's some guys who've actually earned some respect on the field who you're bypassing for unproven speculations. One would be Jamaal another would be PJ Davis. (You actually hit the nail on the head with Devine with "He can be as good as he wants to be..." but I'd be sure to include emphasis on the latter.)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I know this is just a hypothetical exercise, but if you're gonna put an asterisk on JH, you better put one on Devine and Philpott, too. All the rest I'm on board with. Also, there's some guys who've actually earned some respect on the field who you're bypassing for unproven speculations. One would be Jamaal another would be PJ Davis. (You actually hit the nail on the head with Devine with "He can be as good as he wants to be...")

I'll play this "game" the way I see fit...you can play it the way you see fit.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not looking at others' thoughts (and assuming everyone is healthy)

I don't think these are up for argument:

1. JT
2. Gotsis
3. Freeman
4. Errin Joe
5. DJ White

Other three are a bit tougher, I'd go (in no particular order) 6. Snoddy, 7. Golden, 8. PJ Davis.

Debated Gamble or another lineman in the last three. Ultimately PJ is a heckuva player so I went with him.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Kinda surprised everyone is going with Burden over Erin Joe - not that Burden is bad at all (he's not), but to me Joe was the second best OL we had last year.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I had way too much time on my hands the past few weeks, so I did some unnecessary research on rivals. Based on the results, I think the 2015 1 - 8 is second only to 2008 squad and the 2015 9 - 16 and 17 - 24 is the best GT has had in the CPJ era. Looking forward to an exciting year!

Below are the position rankings for each of our projected starters on offense and defense. Position ranking is based on recruiting class. It appears that rivals has tweaked their position groupings since 2008, so take it with a grain of salt. Also, it's likely I made a mistake somewhere. Source: rivals (free content) . bold players (best) = highest ranked recruit for that position in CPJ era (including inherited players from the 2007 class)

The only starters on our offense not ranked are:
C - Burden
LG - Braun
LT - Chamberlin
WR - Summers (Unless Philpott)
AB - Snoddy (Rivals doesn't have an olympic track speed position group)
AB - insert all (except Qua and Jarrett)

Offensive Starter Rankings
  • QB Justin Thomas 19 ATH (best)
  • BB Marcus Allen 30 ATH
  • AB Jarret 20 APB (Best)
  • AB Qua 63 CB
  • WR Philpott 43 WR (Best)
  • WR Rickey Jeune 94 WR
  • RT Erinn Joe 21 Guard
  • RG Shamire Devine 28 OT
Offensive Backups / Injured Folk / Current Commits / Transfers / Freshmen
  • QB Campbell 28 ATH
  • BB Mills 30 ATH