Which of these 3 has mess up college football

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Transfer Portal as it is today. It is the Wild West, unrestrained, purely narcissistic/egotistical. Or whatever word you'd like to use for "I'm only in it for the money"

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If I had to pick one I would say transfer portal. It easily allows teams to tamper with players. Ole Miss likes doing that to GT.

Agreed. I think the transfer portal is the root of the evil here. NIL without a transfer portal would be a totally different animal. The combo created free agency in CFB. Which, I can't fault the players at all, they deserve to be compensated fairly. But I think the NCAA should go back to a year ineligible (and you lose that year of eligibility) for non-grad transfers. That would kill a lot of the NIL manipulation.

The portal and NIL has made money even more important. Yeah, schools can't pay players directly. But the more money the school gets from TV, Conference deals, etc. The less the athletic departments need booster money. So, the more the boosters can spend on NIL. That's been a big driver in realignment, IMHO.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think transfer portal has "messed up" college football the most. It interacts with NIL which makes transferring more lucrative.

But implicit to your question is that college football is "messed up". I agree from the POV of a fan whose team isn't benefiting it is messed up. But from the POV of players and teams who are benefiting it is better.

I really don't care as much about the money sports. Like I could care less if the Rangers who are ultimate transfer team win the World Series. It makes the entertainment value less for me and I don't have to spend my time watching that form of entertainment.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Look I need help, as someone who was 296 in their class on 300 ( and those other 4 were dumb and uga fans)
Here is something I found about the NIL and how much the player get. on the right hand side you can look up each position ( does look like UNC has not got their money out of their defensive players.
Would love if some of you smart guys could pull the ACC players out some we could see it better.
Here is the site:
https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/college/football/?position=lb

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
1. Conference realignment. $ec started it and it led to the death of the Southwest Conference. Us, USCeast & F$U were independent and it just didn't have the same impact as stealing a team from another conference. That was the door being cracked open.

2. Greg Paulus leaving Duke and going to Syracuse was the crack for the portal as it exposed the way for graduate transfers.

3. NIL not so much. The bags of cash were always there.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed. I think the transfer portal is the root of the evil here. NIL without a transfer portal would be a totally different animal. The combo created free agency in CFB. Which, I can't fault the players at all, they deserve to be compensated fairly. But I think the NCAA should go back to a year ineligible (and you lose that year of eligibility) for non-grad transfers. That would kill a lot of the NIL manipulation.

The portal and NIL has made money even more important. Yeah, schools can't pay players directly. But the more money the school gets from TV, Conference deals, etc. The less the athletic departments need booster money. So, the more the boosters can spend on NIL. That's been a big driver in realignment, IMHO.
I agree with reinstating the one year to sit out as a transfer. The one possibly exception might be around coaching changes. In most cases players pick a program based on relationships with coaches vs. the school

stech81

Helluva Engineer
1. Conference realignment. $ec started it and it led to the death of the Southwest Conference. Us, USCeast & F$U were independent and it just didn't have the same impact as stealing a team from another conference. That was the door being cracked open.

2. Greg Paulus leaving Duke and going to Syracuse was the crack for the portal as it exposed the way for graduate transfers.

3. NIL not so much. The bags of cash were always there.
I kind of blame the Big 10 more and followed by the SEC. Arkansas joined the SEC cause they felt like and outsider as the other teams were from Texas.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Moving TV contracts to conference-based contracts.

If the NFL had separate contracts for the NFC South and the AFC North, and divisions could poach each other, what do you think the NFL would look like?
Was typing my reply when you posted this. đź‘Ť

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
College football was messed up before those 3.

Ncaa as run by flunkies appointed by college Prez.

They allowed a few teams to dominate because of an ocean of tv money.

They DIDN'T act to stop the same MEGA P5 schools from being in top 10 every year. THUS THE MONEY RACE. All schools were bought off by the easy money, but this lead to the players grab for "their share"

Only way out was ncaa to tax winning too often to level playing field. Simply reduce total schokarships for winning too much. Yea a mini death penalty for excessive success.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Without NIL, the transfer portal would be no where near as disruptive. So, I will say NIL. There's absolutely nothing anyone can do to fix these issues.

I agree that even before these things occurred, CF was already skewed heavily to the factories. Now, the factories will still get the overwhelming majority of the 4/5 star guys, but they will also end up getting a large share of those that exhibit 4/5 star qualities after they initially play at a non-factory school.

This is why I believe I would most likely support a division of the current FBS teams. I believe teams that can provide over a certain amount of NIL $$ each year should play in the upper league (think semi-pro football), and the other teams, which would include the Institute, would play in a lower division. I know this sucks, but I would like to know that at sometime in my remaining lifetime, we will have a chance to compete for a championship in football. And, I'm not talking about the ACC championship, although with the current state of affairs, that might also never happen again without change.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh messed up college football.

Once it became a thing that players could/would decide to play together just to win a ring, all bets were off as far as team loyalty goes. (The Great Deion Experiment of 2023-25 in Colorado is a variation of this.)

The Transfer Portal (and its evil twin sister, NIL) is how that game is played at the college level.