Which ACC Football Team Do Ya'll Think Will Be The Biggest Disappointment Of The 2018 Season?

Jmonty71

Banned
I think we need to define "let down". Let down, as in don't win the conference? or let down as is doesn't make a bowl? Or just merely do not win as many games as projected?

slugboy

Staff member
Athlon's ACC Predictions for 2018

Atlantic Division

1)Clemson 12-1 and 7-1 in the ACC
2)FSU 9-3 and 6-2 in the ACC
3)NCSU 8-4 and 4-4 in the ACC
3)Wake Forest 7-5 and 4-4 in the ACC
4)Boston College 6-6 and 3-5 in the ACC
4)Louisville 6-6 and 3-5 in the ACC
4)Syracuse 6-6 and 3-5 in the ACC

Coastal Division

1)Miami 10-3 and 6-2 in the ACC
2)Virginia Tech 9-3 and 5-3 in the ACC
3)Georgia Tech 7-5 and 4-4 in the ACC
4)Pitt 6-6 and 4-4 in the ACC
4)Duke 6-6 and 4-4 in the ACC
5)North Carolina 4-8 and 2-6 in the ACC
6)Virginia 4-8 and 1-7 in the ACC

ACC Championship Game

Clemson over Miami

I like FSU to underachieve that, either 8-4 or 7-5. I can see them lose to NCSU (for once), Clemson, and Miami. They have higher expectations, and a shot at being disappointing. Still better than last season, though.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
yeah I agree re:Miami. I thought they were overrated last year and got several victories that were a bit fortuitous. I think they regress to the mean this year. I also think FSU will suck, along with VPI. Clemson should run away with the ACC this year. I don't think they'll have any real competition at the top.
FSU should be very good, and if Miami regresses to their mean, then they will be pretty good. But Richt seems to carry with him his own barrier that he can coach up to but not beyond. I agree Clemson should be the class of the conference, again, and apparently there is no end in sight. They just keep reeling them in and coaching them up. Boston College will be good late, as usual, and Syracuse and Pittsburgh will be sleepers in the deal. Both, as has Georgia Tech, have shown sporadic but unsustained brilliance of late. Tech will either challenge for the conference title if a) it can run the option again and b) the defense is at least past adequate. If it is a lot better than that, then it can be a very good year to be a GT fan. I ignore UNC and Duke and I know I shouldn't. I just do.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I understand the question but only Tech can possibly disappoint me because I don't really care about the other ACC teams. To answer the question I think FSU will disappoint unless the coach establishes the discipline needed for their significant talent to come together. While I don't care for Saban it is clear that his teams are both talented and disciplined; unlike Jimbo's FSU teams.
My prediction is that UNC has a new coach in 2019 and for their fan base a very disappointing year.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I understand the question but only Tech can possibly disappoint me because I don't really care about the other ACC teams. To answer the question I think FSU will disappoint unless the coach establishes the discipline needed for their significant talent to come together. While I don't care for Saban it is clear that his teams are both talented and disciplined; unlike Jimbo's FSU teams.
My prediction is that UNC has a new coach in 2019 and for their fan base a very disappointing year.
A concern of mine is if North Carolina hires Appalachian State head coach Scott Satterfield after the 2018 season is that Appalachian State will be interested in GT DC Nate Woody as a candidate to be the next Appalachian State head football coach:rolleyes::eek::wideyed:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don’t think Louisville will fall near as much as some of you all think. 8-4 at worst but I’m thinking 9-3 with potential for 10-2.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A concern of mine is if North Carolina hires Appalachian State head coach Scott Satterfield after the 2018 season is that Appalachian State will be interested in GT DC Nate Woody as a candidate to be the next Appalachian State head football coach:rolleyes::eek::wideyed:
UNC sees themselves as a major program and they would see the App coach as beneath them. They would go after a bigger name due to their ego.