Which ACC Football Team Do Ya'll Think Will Be The Biggest Disappointment Of The 2018 Season?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
What ACC team or teams do y'all think will be the biggest disappointment of the 2018 season? I think if Virginia Tech has a worse record than 8-4 they will qualify,Miami will also if they do worse than 10-2 and Clemson if they lose the ACCCG. Overall i think Miami has the best chance of having a typically Mark Richt type season and only winning 8-9 games when they should win 10-11 and looking like a huge disappointment to the Sports Writers around College Football.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Miami will defitenly take a step back. Coastal wasn't super strong last year and they took advantage of that. I think VT is a little overhyped right now with the drama behind their QB. If he gets suspended, I think they take a big step back

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Miami will defitenly take a step back. Coastal wasn't super strong last year and they took advantage of that. I think VT is a little overhyped right now with the drama behind their QB. If he gets suspended, I think they take a big step back
Jackson got back on the team at VT as expected. Miami or FSU will be disappointments this year. Miami was not as good as their record and FSU has a new coach and QB has been inconsistent.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Real predictions:

Atlantic: BC takes a small step back. Graduated too much strength on D
Clemson: Runs away with the Atlantic
FSU: Brings back enough firepower on D to maintain last years success, and returns almost the entirety of the offense.
UL: TAKES A HUGE STEP back. Losing Lamar is losing their offense, even though he's basically the only person changing there. They lose almost everyone on Defense.
NC State: Roughly the same as last year. Lose a lot on D, but keep a lot of starters on offense. Can;t rely on Bradley Chubb this year,
Cuse: Returns a ton of starters, has 3 pretty easy OOC games and draws OOD Pitt and UNC. Will be better on paper and record than on the field
Wake: Loses a lot of key contributors, but draws Duke and Pitt OOD. Should be roughly bowl elgible again.

So Louisville will take a big step back, Cuse should step a little forward, and NCSU and Wake forest should take a step back, which FSU should be taking forward. They have the talent and experience, coaching just has to be there.

Coastal:
Duke: Joke of an OOC, but unforutately draws Wake and Clemson OOD. Should be another rough year, even with them returning a ton of starters
GT: Step up from last year, but 6 wins looks to be what is expected. Losing basically the entirety of the secondary will hurt way more than people expecing. SB Nation posted an article last year that showed the # of snaps taken in the secondary is far and out the best predictor of success on defense. Losing 3 to graduation and 1 to injury isn't going to help.
Miami: I don't think they are overrated. They do have a much tougher schedule than last year, but they return way too many people on both sides of the ball to really falter. Injuries hurt them last year. I expect them to repeat
UNC: Brutal OOC schedule and losing a ton of seniors on last years teams makes this years UNC team the dissapointment in the coastal
Pitt: Should be taking a step in the right direction, but playing 3 ten win teams out of confrence is going to hurt
Virginia: Should be just as good as last year. Easy OOC. Should step forward.
VT: ND and then cupcakes for OOC. Playing FSU week one should give us an idea of where they really are at. I still see them as somewhere between a 7-9 win team based off how many starters are returning.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Real predictions:

Atlantic: BC takes a small step back. Graduated too much strength on D
Clemson: Runs away with the Atlantic
FSU: Brings back enough firepower on D to maintain last years success, and returns almost the entirety of the offense.
UL: TAKES A HUGE STEP back. Losing Lamar is losing their offense, even though he's basically the only person changing there. They lose almost everyone on Defense.
NC State: Roughly the same as last year. Lose a lot on D, but keep a lot of starters on offense. Can;t rely on Bradley Chubb this year,
Cuse: Returns a ton of starters, has 3 pretty easy OOC games and draws OOD Pitt and UNC. Will be better on paper and record than on the field
Wake: Loses a lot of key contributors, but draws Duke and Pitt OOD. Should be roughly bowl elgible again.

So Louisville will take a big step back, Cuse should step a little forward, and NCSU and Wake forest should take a step back, which FSU should be taking forward. They have the talent and experience, coaching just has to be there.

Coastal:
Duke: Joke of an OOC, but unforutately draws Wake and Clemson OOD. Should be another rough year, even with them returning a ton of starters
GT: Step up from last year, but 6 wins looks to be what is expected. Losing basically the entirety of the secondary will hurt way more than people expecing. SB Nation posted an article last year that showed the # of snaps taken in the secondary is far and out the best predictor of success on defense. Losing 3 to graduation and 1 to injury isn't going to help.
Miami: I don't think they are overrated. They do have a much tougher schedule than last year, but they return way too many people on both sides of the ball to really falter. Injuries hurt them last year. I expect them to repeat
UNC: Brutal OOC schedule and losing a ton of seniors on last years teams makes this years UNC team the dissapointment in the coastal
Pitt: Should be taking a step in the right direction, but playing 3 ten win teams out of confrence is going to hurt
Virginia: Should be just as good as last year. Easy OOC. Should step forward.
VT: ND and then cupcakes for OOC. Playing FSU week one should give us an idea of where they really are at. I still see them as somewhere between a 7-9 win team based off how many starters are returning.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) Great job on your predictions:cool: Louisville will have to fight to go 6-6 in 2018 and i think Bobby Petrino could leave to take another job after the season. I could see him coaching Illinois or California.

Deleted member 2897

I am by no means saying that Clemson will be the biggest disappointment of 2018, but I find their recruiting interesting. Last year they had only 5 commits below 4 stars. Already in 2019 they have 10 guys 3 stars. You have to go back almost 10 years to find a comparable average star rating of 3.33. And they have 17 commits now, so its not like these numbers are coming off a very small data set.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I am by no means saying that Clemson will be the biggest disappointment of 2018, but I find their recruiting interesting. Last year they had only 5 commits below 4 stars. Already in 2019 they have 10 guys 3 stars. You have to go back almost 10 years to find a comparable average star rating of 3.33. And they have 17 commits now, so its not like these numbers are coming off a very small data set.
But everyone has been telling me that a 3 star is good ! :)

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Last year's class for them was also abnormally small. So was 2017. With the 85 scholarship limit, you need to hit an average of 22/year with no redshirts and 17 with red shirts/attrition. They had 17 last year and 14 the year before. Just to make sure they hit roster size, they are looking at mid to upper 20s to make up for that. There simply aren't enough blue chips to do that in South Carolina, especially with their philosophy of doing OVs during the season. Expect more blue chips then, also important to note that even with that, they are still #1 in the ACC and #4 overall, and almost all players they have are top 15-25 in those positions.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Athlon's ACC Predictions for 2018

Atlantic Division

1)Clemson 12-1 and 7-1 in the ACC
2)FSU 9-3 and 6-2 in the ACC
3)NCSU 8-4 and 4-4 in the ACC
3)Wake Forest 7-5 and 4-4 in the ACC
4)Boston College 6-6 and 3-5 in the ACC
4)Louisville 6-6 and 3-5 in the ACC
4)Syracuse 6-6 and 3-5 in the ACC

Coastal Division

1)Miami 10-3 and 6-2 in the ACC
2)Virginia Tech 9-3 and 5-3 in the ACC
3)Georgia Tech 7-5 and 4-4 in the ACC
4)Pitt 6-6 and 4-4 in the ACC
4)Duke 6-6 and 4-4 in the ACC
5)North Carolina 4-8 and 2-6 in the ACC
6)Virginia 4-8 and 1-7 in the ACC

ACC Championship Game

Clemson over Miami

Deleted member 2897

Athlon's ACC Predictions for 2018

Atlantic Division

1)Clemson 12-1 and 7-1 in the ACC
2)FSU 9-3 and 6-2 in the ACC
3)NCSU 8-4 and 4-4 in the ACC
3)Wake Forest 7-5 and 4-4 in the ACC
4)Boston College 6-6 and 3-5 in the ACC
4)Louisville 6-6 and 3-5 in the ACC
4)Syracuse 6-6 and 3-5 in the ACC

Coastal Division

1)Miami 10-3 and 6-2 in the ACC
2)Virginia Tech 9-3 and 5-3 in the ACC
3)Georgia Tech 7-5 and 4-4 in the ACC
4)Pitt 6-6 and 4-4 in the ACC
4)Duke 6-6 and 4-4 in the ACC
5)North Carolina 4-8 and 2-6 in the ACC
6)Virginia 4-8 and 1-7 in the ACC

ACC Championship Game

Clemson over Miami

To show how worthless Athlon is, here are the final standings for last year compared to their predictions:
Atlantic Division Last Year / This Year Prediction
Clemson / Clemson
FSU / NCSU
NCSU / Wake Forest
Wake Forest / Boston College
Boston College / Louisville
Louisville / FSU
Syracuse / Syracuse
CONCLUSION: If you look closely, you'll notice everything is in the EXACT SAME ORDER, except they are not predicting FSU to have another extreme outlier of a season. Gee, how bold.

Coastal Division Last Year / This Year Prediction
Miami / Miami
Virginia Tech / Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech / Georgia Tech
Pitt / Pitt
Duke / Duke
North Carolina / Virginia
Virginia / North Carolina
CONCLUSION: If you look closely, you'll notice everything is in the EXACT SAME ORDER, except they are not predicting 1,000 injuries to decimate North Carolina again. Gee, how bold.

OVERALL CONCLUSION: Literally anybody could have come up with these predictions in 5 seconds of work.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
To show how worthless Athlon is, here are the final standings for last year compared to their predictions:
Atlantic Division Last Year / This Year Prediction
Clemson / Clemson
FSU / NCSU
NCSU / Wake Forest
Wake Forest / Boston College
Boston College / Louisville
Louisville / FSU
Syracuse / Syracuse
CONCLUSION: If you look closely, you'll notice everything is in the EXACT SAME ORDER, except they are not predicting FSU to have another extreme outlier of a season. Gee, how bold.

Coastal Division Last Year / This Year Prediction
Miami / Miami
Virginia Tech / Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech / Georgia Tech
Pitt / Pitt
Duke / Duke
North Carolina / Virginia
Virginia / North Carolina
CONCLUSION: If you look closely, you'll notice everything is in the EXACT SAME ORDER, except they are not predicting 1,000 injuries to decimate North Carolina again. Gee, how bold.

OVERALL CONCLUSION: Literally anybody could have come up with these predictions in 5 seconds of work.
:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

Jmonty71

Banned
I think Wake wins 2-3 games and I think Pitt turns only wins 4-5. FSU will be better than Clemson... and VT wins over Miami. I just hope we beat Da U, this year.

gtsucks

Jolly Good Fellow
Virginia Tech and Miami are prime candidates for a letdown, but I'm gonna go with NC State. You don't lose that kind of NFL talent (without top 10 recruiting classes) and not take a step back.

Deleted member 2897

Virginia Tech and Miami are prime candidates for a letdown, but I'm gonna go with NC State. You don't lose that kind of NFL talent (without top 10 recruiting classes) and not take a step back.

While true, I think NCSU is only a letdown if people have unreasonable expectations in the first place. IIRC, they’ve only had 1 season EVER with 10 or more wins.