Where would the learned of you place Adam ( I got this!) Gotsis

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I would say he's behind Rock Perdoni (who stands alone at the top), Coleman Rudolph, Kevin Battle, and Vance Walker. I'd rate him about equal to Joe Anoai, Darrryl Richard, and T. J. Barnes (this based on T. J.'s pro career). He was one of the best ever in the modern era for sure.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So hard to judge because of different people surrounding each player and different systems. I'll say this much, AG steadily improved every single year. His trajectory is probably more steep than any of the other players mentioned. It is a shame that we didn't realize the benefits of his improvement last season because of injury and penalties etc. I can't remember any of the other names suffering those kinds of setbacks. I think AG still has a lot of room to grow and I think he will. One of my favorite GT players of all time.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Better than TJ but on par with Joe and D Rich.

I agree with this I think; and would add if Adam was in Tenuta's scheme we would be talking about him closer to Battle and Rudolph than Richard and Anoai. What we did up front with our Tackles Adam Fits in perfect to that penetration scheme vs occupy scheme.

FYI Vance Walker to me was the same as Anoai and Richard at Tech...so Gotsis is in that group....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this I think; and would add if Adam was in Tenuta's scheme we would be talking about him closer to Battle and Rudolph than Richard and Anoai. What we did up front with our Tackles Adam Fits in perfect to that penetration scheme vs occupy scheme.

FYI Vance Walker to me was the same as Anoai and Richard at Tech...so Gotsis is in that group....
Of all these guys, what's remarkable about Adam was his rate and magnitude of progress. He went from an extremely raw piece of clay with little to no real experience to an NFL prospect.

Good on ya, Mate!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Of all these guys, what's remarkable about Adam was his rate and magnitude of progress. He went from an extremely raw piece of clay with little to no real experience to an NFL prospect.

Good on ya, Mate!

same with anoai...if you recall he was a little experienced TE/DE type. Adamm Oliver came in basically a FB. Remember how young/raw Walker was? He was like 255 coming into tech.

At GT some of our best players on the line are frame guys that grow into and learn the position. Thats because we either don't or can't seem to recruit them....we have to grow em...Which is why we need to recruit more of these types than other schools...because

1 it takes longer to grow em
2 you will miss on more and have to move em to other positions
3 we need depth

GT needs to recruit a little less secondary and AB types and a little more OL and DL than a typical school

a bit frustrated paul hasn't done this better.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One thing I will remember about Gotsis is his trajectory was rising every year. He went from a "need a body" DL his true freshmen year...to occupy the OL enough for our LBs to make a play his sophomore year...to a legitimate P5 DL who could play the run and get to the QB...to a force on the interior that offenses had to game plan around. His game against FSU was one of the best performances from a GT DT I can remember.

The thing is, he still has not reached his full potential. The guy did not have much help during his career, and took on a lot of double teams. He's probably playing SDE on the next level, but his versatility to play inside and outside as well as his ceiling are getting high reviews from the NFL types.

Wish him well...one of my favorite players during the CPJ era.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
I go all the way back to the days of Billy Shaw and Larry Stallings, so my list would be questionable since it would span several different eras of football. I will say, however, that I cannot recall anyone more physical pound-for-pound than Gotsis at defensive tackle for Tech.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I would add one of my favorite Jackets ever. Very few developed as much as he did from year 1 to year 4 (Brooking would be similar in this regard).I missed seeing Perdoni...so in the most physical pound for pound category Riccardo Ingram and Ted Roof come to mind. A good topic for another thread?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Perdoni was the most physical pound for pound of any football player I ever saw at any school ever.
Yep, sure was in my eyes. And not only in my eyes: " ...he was recognized as a consensus first-team All-American in 1970, when he received first-team honors from the Associated Press (AP), the America Football Coaches Association (AFCA), Central Press Association (CPA), the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA), United Press International (UPI), Football News, The Sporting News and the Walter Camp Foundation."

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yep, sure was in my eyes. And not only in my eyes: " ...he was recognized as a consensus first-team All-American in 1970, when he received first-team honors from the Associated Press (AP), the America Football Coaches Association (AFCA), Central Press Association (CPA), the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA), United Press International (UPI), Football News, The Sporting News and the Walter Camp Foundation."
Would be great to see high light film of him.
His first year at Tech he absolutely butchered the uga offensive line and Tech pulled a 6-0 upset.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One thing I will remember about Gotsis is his trajectory was rising every year. He went from a "need a body" DL his true freshmen year...to occupy the OL enough for our LBs to make a play his sophomore year...to a legitimate P5 DL who could play the run and get to the QB...to a force on the interior that offenses had to game plan around. His game against FSU was one of the best performances from a GT DT I can remember.

The thing is, he still has not reached his full potential. The guy did not have much help during his career, and took on a lot of double teams. He's probably playing SDE on the next level, but his versatility to play inside and outside as well as his ceiling are getting high reviews from the NFL types.

What's your impression of Pelton as a developer?