Where we might lose Coach Collins.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and it was Bobby Dodd who advised him to take the Bammer job. Dodd told him he could win a national championship there, but not at Tech. Well, even the Gods are wrong sometime.

Btw, one reason Bammer hired Curry was that he would bring - wait for it - advanced recruiting techniques to Bammer. In those days Tech was a leader in all the usual stuff you see now (computerized data bases, early id of prospects, predictive models for fit, ect.). One wonders why that changed, but it could have been that the impetus left with Curry.
He didn't encourage him, but he didn't discourage him either. At least according to Dodd's Luck. I found this quote interesting in the context of this conversation though:
I didn't ask him why he took the job and I never have asked him, because I know why he took it. It's a challenge. It's a chance to be a big-time major football coach , which he could never be at Georgia Tech. I doubt if he could have won an ACC championship to say nothing of being at the top nationally, the top ten or the top five. Which he can do over at Alabama, if he makes it over there. I don't know whether he'll make it or not. I just pray he will. I love Bill.

He didn't encourage him, but he didn't discourage him either. At least according to Dodd's Luck. I found this quote interesting in the context of this conversation though:
So there were two reasons Curry went to Alabama. Dodd did tell him to go because he felt Tech could not win a National Championship. The second was an Alabama issue. Perkins had gotten Alabama in some trouble and Alabama wanted to clean things up. They felt Curry, a clean Tech guy was a great choice to come to Alabama and clean up the issues in order to prevent probation. While at Alabama Curry did a pretty good job. Problem for him was he could not dominate Auburn and the rise of Spurrier at UF.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
So there were two reasons Curry went to Alabama. Dodd did tell him to go because he felt Tech could not win a National Championship. The second was an Alabama issue. Perkins had gotten Alabama in some trouble and Alabama wanted to clean things up. They felt Curry, a clean Tech guy was a great choice to come to Alabama and clean up the issues in order to prevent probation. While at Alabama Curry did a pretty good job. Problem for him was he could not dominate Auburn and the rise of Spurrier at UF.
And there was no way he was going to make Lee Roy Jordan happy. Jordan opposed even sniffing at a coach with a Tech background.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
BILL Curry record
Overall 83 105 4

GT 31 43 4
Alabama 26 10
Kentucky 26 52

3 winning seasons at GT
3 at Bama
0 at Kentucky

Not too hot. Shows even a mediocre coach at best can win with Alabama players. He did have one 9 win year at GT but two 1 win years as well.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
BILL Curry record
Overall 83 105 4

GT 31 43 4
Alabama 26 10
Kentucky 26 52

3 winning seasons at GT
3 at Bama
0 at Kentucky

Not too hot. Shows even a mediocre coach at best can win with Alabama players. He did have one 9 win year at GT but two 1 win years as well.
This doesn't tell the whole story. You should have seen the condition of the football program in 1980. Dreadful. It was so bad that the Hill (Joe Petit) wanted to end football at Tech.

The fact that just a few years later, Tech was in a bowl game was a miracle. I know Curry has a lot of detractors, but he really did rally Tech (donors, students, alumni) in a way that saved the program. It was a dumpster fire.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
BILL Curry record
Overall 83 105 4

GT 31 43 4
Alabama 26 10
Kentucky 26 52

3 winning seasons at GT
3 at Bama
0 at Kentucky

A little perspective: Between 1982 and 2007 (from Bear Bryant to Nick Saban), Alabama had 6 head coaches. Curry had the best winning percentage of all of them.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
He wouldn't necessarily have 30 million. He has to pay his agent. He has to pay taxes. Net after that he probably would take home 13-17 million if his salary didn't increase.

"More than he'd ever spend anyway" is a person who sees that amount of money and thinks about what he has to pay for. It would not be hard at all to use $15 million and have nothing really left to show for it. It happens to sports stars, celebrities, and lottery winners all of the time. If such a person lives modestly and invests the money then in 10 years it might be closer to $30 million. However, if that person helps friends/family, drives very nice cars, and likes flashy real estate, it isn't too hard to blow through $15 million. Getting too heavy into real estate wouldn't even have to be flashy. A nice, but not extravagant, house on the sand in Hilton Head is around $4 million. There is an old saying that becoming wealthy isn't about what you earn but about what you save.
I understand all that but I’m giving Collins the benefit that he isn’t a moron like many sports stars, celebrities, and lottery winners. Yes, it would be easy for a moron to blow thru 30 million, but I doubt anyone who is educated would. And I’m not talking degrees and resumes. I’m talking real life educated. I’m sure Collins is investing for his families future.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's ok I have been married 48 years and I'm not sure my wife can go 5 minutes without talking and 90% of the time I have no idea what the heII she is talking about, the other 10% that I understand I really don't care what she is talking about.
huh?

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
This doesn't tell the whole story. You should have seen the condition of the football program in 1980. Dreadful. It was so bad that the Hill (Joe Petit) wanted to end football at Tech.

The fact that just a few years later, Tech was in a bowl game was a miracle. I know Curry has a lot of detractors, but he really did rally Tech (donors, students, alumni) in a way that saved the program. It was a dumpster fire.
True, he and certainly Homer Rice saved GT football from becoming Furmanish. The state of the early 80's for GT football should give some perspective to the current greatest transition in the history of CFB pundits.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
True, he and certainly Homer Rice saved GT football from becoming Furmanish. The state of the early 80's for GT football should give some perspective to the current greatest transition in the history of CFB pundits.
What did 1980 have in common with 2019? We were coming off of years of option focused football. That's not the whole story in either case, but it's a significant piece.

Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma and others quit running triple option because recruits didn't want to play in it. It took Tech a lot longer to figure that out. It's telling that the only leftover OL from the last regime who had another P5 offer is Quinney, and many people on this board don't believe he will start next year.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What did 1980 have in common with 2019? We were coming off of years of option focused football. That's not the whole story in either case, but it's a significant piece.

Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma and others quit running triple option because recruits didn't want to play in it. It took Tech a lot longer to figure that out. It's telling that the only leftover OL from the last regime who had another P5 offer is Quinney, and many people on this board don't believe he will start next year.
In 1979 Steve Spurrier was our QBs coach and we threw over 300 passes. Not exactly comparable.

And I guess you weren't born back then. We left the Wishbone in 1976 for the veer and then in 1978 we ran multiple primarily from the I to show case ELI. When Kelley became the QB in 1978 we were throwing all over the place. Did we still run the triple, yes, like every other team in college football did until roughly 1990. Nebraska won the 1993 National Championship running power I and Triple. When Friedgen came back to Tech in 1996 he had us running triple again as well. See the Goose is loose play UGA 2000. The option is the hardest play to defend in all football.

Since it is out there let's put some perspective into Tech football from 1978-1986. In 1978 we had a really good team that was filled with guys that could play. But as is always forgotten, we play a very difficult schedule. We won 7 games that year but lost to ranked Notre Dame, ranked UGA, and Purdue in the bowl. In 1979 we had lost a lot of players but as usual had a brutal schedule that included, Notre Dame, Florida, Alabama. we were 4-6-1.
1980 brings a coaching change but the schedule again is the hardest in the Nation. We still beat number 1 Notre Dame and 1981 brings hope knocking off Alabama in game 1 and the debut of Robert Lavette. We go 1-10. In 1982 we go 6-5, a bowl team by today's standards. In 1983 we step back going 3-8 but almost beat UGA. 1984 the tide has changed and we end up 6-4-1. Some big wins but tough losses. 1985, this team was a monster and only lost to Bo Jackson and Auburn and a very good UVA team. Frankly today that team would probably land top 10.

The notion of leaving Div 1 was not a very wide talked about notion. We had just joined the ACC and knew that we would start to see a move away from an SEC type schedule. Our cross state rival was only 6-5 in 1979. Then they got probably the greatest college football player in history at a time when a tailback could win every game for you. When Walker left, UGA was still very good, but the level that they were playing dropped.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
It's ok I have been married 48 years and I'm not sure my wife can go 5 minutes without talking and 90% of the time I have no idea what the heII she is talking about, the other 10% that I understand I really don't care what she is talking about.
Oh no. I'm a few years behind you...It never changes, does it?

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Since it is out there let's put some perspective into Tech football from 1978-1986. In 1978 we had a really good team that was filled with guys that could play. But as is always forgotten, we play a very difficult schedule. We won 7 games that year but lost to ranked Notre Dame, ranked UGA, and Purdue in the bowl. In 1979 we had lost a lot of players but as usual had a brutal schedule that included, Notre Dame, Florida, Alabama. we were 4-6-1.
1980 brings a coaching change but the schedule again is the hardest in the Nation. We still beat number 1 Notre Dame and 1981 brings hope knocking off Alabama in game 1 and the debut of Robert Lavette. We go 1-10. In 1982 we go 6-5, a bowl team by today's standards. In 1983 we step back going 3-8 but almost beat UGA. 1984 the tide has changed and we end up 6-4-1. Some big wins but tough losses. 1985, this team was a monster and only lost to Bo Jackson and Auburn and a very good UVA team. Frankly today that team would probably land top 10.

The notion of leaving Div 1 was not a very wide talked about notion. We had just joined the ACC and knew that we would start to see a move away from an SEC type schedule. Our cross state rival was only 6-5 in 1979. Then they got probably the greatest college football player in history at a time when a tailback could win every game for you. When Walker left, UGA was still very good, but the level that they were playing dropped.
I can assure you that it was more than a notion in '80 and '81. It even made the Urinal and was an occasional tailgate discussion. We can Thank God for Homer and holding off on the introduction of the internet.