Where we might lose Coach Collins.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Um I think I would add CPJ to the list of destination jobs. He received offers while at Tech and turned them down. CPJ loves Atlanta and Tech. He is a huge Basketball fan.
That all seemed like a business move to me. We got nervous and chucked him some more cash. Smart move by him.

We’ve lost so much basic horse sense in this country. We fall for people proclaiming BS all the time, say one thing and do another. People fall for it. Watch what they do, very closely. Actions speak louder than words and results matter.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I know clickbaity title but wait for it, I've been doing a decent amount of thinking on this and I honestly think that our most likely competition for Collins's talent if and when he turns things around here (if his methods work I see us having a majorly hard time holding onto him) Isn't actually in the College world at all.

Thanks to the transfer portal college football is now getting a very strong taste of the concept of free agency and sub 4 year contract management where players can in truth take their talents elsewhere demanding a release and potentially be courted for a second round of recruiting. Collins has shown he is very adept in going after these free agents, just look at what we are bringing in. If he managed to get us to a 10 win team by year 4 (the optimistic view would be 10-4 or 12-2 with a loss or 2 in the regular season and a acc championship loss to a clemson or so but eh you get the point) That would show that as a rebuilder with a penchant for building in free agency and an eye for talent. I think we very well could lose him to something crazy like an assistant GM job in the NFL.

He is already extremely brand focused and ticks a lot of those boxes on what you need out of an NFL GM. I could easily see a team taking a chance on him and bringing him into their front office especially if they have an aging GM or have recently done a coaching/gm change.

Or its monday. I know im typically on the negative side of collin's debates. But that's not because I don't want to see success its usually because I also don't think success means ignoring what was successful before or tribalistic approaches. I actually do think if he managed something like this this is a very real threat most other schools wouldn't even have. Collins has shown in his career in the past that he's willing to step off the field into admin roles if it either advanced his career or presented a new challenge. Also it be hard to turn down the league.
You have seen alot more than me, i am waiting for RESULTS

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I flat out guarantee damn tee you if he gets an offer, he is gone. The only coach I am aware of who has made a job his destination job is Cutcliffe at Duke. You will never go wrong in ignoring coaches and their pronouncements. But your 30 for 30 skepticism is well-placed, as Collins simply cannot speak in simple declaratives and let the on-field perfomance speak for itself. It is an age-old axiom to allow others to blow your horn,.
You may be right but first he has to do what he has hitherto not done...win more than 3 games.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Bill Curry says Hi. He wanted a chance at a national championship. Guess he didn't see that happening at his hometown school at which he was an all American. He never was that good a coach anyway. We should have hired George Welsh. He did have some good assistants.
Yes, and it was Bobby Dodd who advised him to take the Bammer job. Dodd told him he could win a national championship there, but not at Tech. Well, even the Gods are wrong sometime.

Btw, one reason Bammer hired Curry was that he would bring - wait for it - advanced recruiting techniques to Bammer. In those days Tech was a leader in all the usual stuff you see now (computerized data bases, early id of prospects, predictive models for fit, ect.). One wonders why that changed, but it could have been that the impetus left with Curry.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I flat out guarantee damn tee you if he gets an offer, he is gone. The only coach I am aware of who has made a job his destination job is Cutcliffe at Duke. You will never go wrong in ignoring coaches and their pronouncements. But your 30 for 30 skepticism is well-placed, as Collins simply cannot speak in simple declaratives and let the on-field perfomance speak for itself. It is an age-old axiom to allow others to blow your horn,.
There are a lot more than Cutcliffe. Coach K could have gone to the NBA at any point. So could Roy Williams. Bobby Bowden could have made more in the NFL. As I said before, the media distorts reality. We only ever hear about the guys who jump ship to bigger contracts. The coach who re-ups and stays somewhere is rarely featured unless it’s a big time program. It’s not always about the money. Look at Collins resume. The guy has moved just about as much as humanly possible to advance his career from a grad asst. to head coach. I bet he’s not looking to pack anytime soon especially since his kids have now grown attached to grandparents. He’s like a lot of us. We go where the wife wants to be as long as life is good. Collins knows the rule - happy wife, happy life.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot more than Cutcliffe. Coach K could have gone to the NBA at any point. So could Roy Williams. Bobby Bowden could have made more in the NFL. As I said before, the media distorts reality. We only ever hear about the guys who jump ship to bigger contracts. The coach who re-ups and stays somewhere is rarely featured unless it’s a big time program. It’s not always about the money. Look at Collins resume. The guy has moved just about as much as humanly possible to advance his career from a grad asst. to head coach. I bet he’s not looking to pack anytime soon especially since his kids have now grown attached to grandparents. He’s like a lot of us. We go where the wife wants to be as long as life is good. Collins knows the rule - happy wife, happy life.
My wife loves where we live. Has never expressed any desire to ever leave. If I were making around 3 million a year and got an offer for 6 million a year im pretty sure she is going to home depot to get some boxes.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Paul Finebaum made a comment once re this. He claimed that most coaches can’t last longer than 10 years in one place. Fans get tired, recruits get tired, donors get tired. Ten and done. I think we’ll see that too.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m just surprised so many would up and change a successful life for a few more bucks. Say Collins is here for 10 years or 30 million bucks,, that’s more than he’d ever spend anyway. And there are plenty of coaches who stay in one spot for more than 10 years. Beamer, Bowden, Paterno, Cremins, Dooley, Saban, K, Williams, Dabo, Ferentz, Patterson, Whittingham, Grundy, Solich, Stockstill, Fitzgerald, Calhoun, Kelley, Shaw, Ken N. and on and on. Again, the press distorts reality. Sure, say Collins is making 3 mil a year at GT and Clemson or Auburn offers 6. Sure, maybe he’d go cause he’s still near home. But if UCLA offered it would be hard to give up your life for a few bucks you’ll never spend in your lifetime. I understand some coaches do it but these are also a lot of the *****s that probably aren’t close with family anyway and live for the adulation from football. Collins strikes me as a guy who wants to be a good husband and father while also being successful in his profession. And for his family, he already has millions in the bank so he is a success. Hopefully this is a issue down the road!!!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
......Say Collins is here for 10 years or 30 million bucks,, that’s more than he’d ever spend anyway........
He wouldn't necessarily have 30 million. He has to pay his agent. He has to pay taxes. Net after that he probably would take home 13-17 million if his salary didn't increase.

"More than he'd ever spend anyway" is a person who sees that amount of money and thinks about what he has to pay for. It would not be hard at all to use $15 million and have nothing really left to show for it. It happens to sports stars, celebrities, and lottery winners all of the time. If such a person lives modestly and invests the money then in 10 years it might be closer to $30 million. However, if that person helps friends/family, drives very nice cars, and likes flashy real estate, it isn't too hard to blow through $15 million. Getting too heavy into real estate wouldn't even have to be flashy. A nice, but not extravagant, house on the sand in Hilton Head is around $4 million. There is an old saying that becoming wealthy isn't about what you earn but about what you save.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
He wouldn't necessarily have 30 million. He has to pay his agent. He has to pay taxes. Net after that he probably would take home 13-17 million if his salary didn't increase.

"More than he'd ever spend anyway" is a person who sees that amount of money and thinks about what he has to pay for. It would not be hard at all to use $15 million and have nothing really left to show for it. It happens to sports stars, celebrities, and lottery winners all of the time. If such a person lives modestly and invests the money then in 10 years it might be closer to $30 million. However, if that person helps friends/family, drives very nice cars, and likes flashy real estate, it isn't too hard to blow through $15 million. Getting too heavy into real estate wouldn't even have to be flashy. A nice, but not extravagant, house on the sand in Hilton Head is around $4 million. There is an old saying that becoming wealthy isn't about what you earn but about what you save.
Look at what coaches pay for a house. Pruitt and Jones both paid $4 million+ for homes. Add in a mountain or lake home ... it adds up. But then there’s the BMW ads, the shoe contracts, the football camps ... he’ll do fine.

Curry could have coached at Tech forever. But his ego took him from a guy who had never coached a game to visions of a Natty. Happens to all sooner or later.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Look at what coaches pay for a house. Pruitt and Jones both paid $4 million+ for homes. Add in a mountain or lake home ... it adds up. But then there’s the BMW ads, the shoe contracts, the football camps ... he’ll do fine.
I seriously doubt he will be hurting for money. I was responding with my umbrage to the statement that $30 million is more than a person can spend.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
With respect to whether CGC would leave GT or not: He has said that GT is his dream job. That might be his real feelings, or it might be "marketing" speech. Even if it is how he genuinely feels, dreams change over time, and relationships can sour. I hope, for GT football, that he is extremely successful and stays at GT for 15-20 years. If he isn't successful in a few years, he will probably depart. If he is successful and gets an opportunity at a school that offers him more money and much more support, I won't like it but I won't take it as him going back on his word of "dream job". At that point it would be a decision for what is best for him. If at that point he wants to stay at GT as his dream job, then I would be happy. If at that point he feels his life would be better at another place, I would respect his decision even if it didn't make me happy.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I seriously doubt he will be hurting for money. I was responding with my umbrage to the statement that $30 million is more than a person can spend.
If I've learned anything from Brewster's Millions (and I've learned everything from Brewster's Millions), it's that $30 million is pretty hard to spend.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
If Collins leaves Tech he will be someone's defensive coordinator. I'm not sold on him yet. He's lost some games he should have won. And no one beats Tech 70 something to 7. He doesn't have a good resume being a Power 5 coach. Hope he proves me wrong.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and it was Bobby Dodd who advised him to take the Bammer job. Dodd told him he could win a national championship there, but not at Tech. Well, even the Gods are wrong sometime.

Btw, one reason Bammer hired Curry was that he would bring - wait for it - advanced recruiting techniques to Bammer. In those days Tech was a leader in all the usual stuff you see now (computerized data bases, early id of prospects, predictive models for fit, ect.). One wonders why that changed, but it could have been that the impetus left with Curry.
Dodd was half right.