Where we are

Jackethawk

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't post a whole lot, but I felt like sharing some of my thoughts. First of all, we are in a real good place as a program right now. Johnson has reassured my confidence in him as the man for the job. I think he and Roof work well together and will be together until they retire, both at Tech. Secondly, this is the best offense we have had under Johnson and maybe ever. We have had better personnel, but as a whole this is the best. I saw things execution wise recently that as a coach make me smile. In 09 it was more of players just making plays. The offensive line is really good and we are finally giving a QB time to sit in the pocket. Lastly, we are relatively young. We lose some key guys, but overall we are set up well for at least a couple more years.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Essobee I know what you're saying and, 2 years ago I would be in the same boat with you, but I just have a different feel for this team. With 4/5 of the starting O line an JeT, Snoddy, Andrews and Summers coming back that's a tremendous nucleus on the offensive side of the ball. To an extent the same is true for the D plus getting JHD and Whitehead negates, to a certain extent, the loss of Green and Nealy. The schedule is a bear but it could be a blessing as well as the '15 season unfolds.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
lets assess this stuff at end of year
If I feel this good after 6 games next year it's time to go ALL IN.

This year = We have had the best schedule we have had that I can remember - 3 easiest games to start. Byes at right time. Then time to recover a typical mid season sputter before two toughest games. Next 10 games are tough.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Agree, but I still get the cold sweats thinking about our schedule next year coupled with the loss of most of our offensive backfield and our great receiver.

It seems like we're always worried about having to replace our best offensive players (running backs and receivers), yet we plug in replacements who have been coming in and doing as well, and sometimes better, as a group, than the individuals, especially now that we seem to have a QB whom is actually not only well suited for our offense, but actually wants to be playing here and is enjoying himself.

While we're losing our top/most experienced offensive lineman after this season (Mason), we've built up tremendous depth and are bringing in more talent to keep the line back-filled. From our defensive perspective, it will be Ted Roof's 3rd year as our Defensive Coordinator, which means the players will have had time to become comfortable with his schemes so they can play without thinking so much and he can play with much more of his playbook, but also, many of the players recruited by Al Groh, for his 3-4 defense have either cycled out or will have been physically "transitioned" into their new positions so they can play in their proper 4-3 position better rather than an out of position or undersized player.

In other words, I think next season, absent a bunch of injuries to key personnel, the team is set up for something special, especially if we can end up this year with a bang so we can start off next year ranked in the top 15 or higher.

Jackethawk

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree. We may go 0-2, even though I think we go 1-1, because our defense is such a liability. I'm saying going forward we are in a good place. I honestly feel that in this system if you have a QB and good o-line then you are in business. Abacks and bbacks can be replaced and I guarantee we have a couple WR that can beat man coverage that we get every week.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I can't even think about worrying about next year. I'm enjoying every minute of this season. Except for Puke and the Tar Holes.

The best part of this season has yet to come.

Next year's schedule looks tougher but, then again, so do we.

Jonathan Dees

Georgia Tech Fan
Next year will be more difficult. Our D might be the same or worse. We won't have Smelter. Lastly, schedule very difficult.

I think our D will be better and I agree that Smelter(and our other senior backs/receivers will be big losses), but I will be optimistic next year. Our offensive line is soooooo much better than any oline I have seen in the PJ era and Justin Thomas will get better.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think our D will be better and I agree that Smelter(and our other senior backs/receivers will be big losses), but I will be optimistic next year. Our offensive line is soooooo much better than any oline I have seen in the PJ era and Justin Thomas will get better.

No doubt we can score the ball, but somebody better step up at receiver or we will see 9 in the box. On the D, I hope u r right, but I don't see the D line being better with the lack of big nasties in the middle.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Essobee I know what you're saying and, 2 years ago I would be in the same boat with you, but I just have a different feel for this team. With 4/5 of the starting O line an JeT, Snoddy, Andrews and Summers coming back that's a tremendous nucleus on the offensive side of the ball. To an extent the same is true for the D plus getting JHD and Whitehead negates, to a certain extent, the loss of Green and Nealy. The schedule is a bear but it could be a blessing as well as the '15 season unfolds.
So true, OJF. The coaches have done a great job of plugging the pegs in the correct holes. Smelter at WR, Days at AB and BB, etc. And Snoddy played excellent today, IMHO, so there again we have another up and coming running back. I hate to lose our outstanding seniors...they have given us quite a show...but somehow more cream continues to rise to the top each year and I credit astute recruiting, planning, and coaching. Now next year's schedule, OTOH....

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Next year will be more difficult. Our D might be the same or worse. We won't have Smelter. Lastly, schedule very difficult.
Still not as big as losing Godhigh+Attaochu+Jemea.

It will depend on how well Days#2, Whitehead, Lands-Davis and other freshman or RS freshman can contribute.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Our defensive line couldn't possibly get worse. Our offensive line will be better. Blocking on the edge will be our weakness although I have confidence in our up coming WRs

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Messick looked pretty good fighting for the ball on the TD. Understand Jeune is pretty good also.

I think that TD was big for him and the younger guys. And PJ going to the bench early, for both O and D, was huge for those kids' confidence and attitude. Doeren, meanwhile, left his starters in to take the drubbing. PJ put the second team in and they played like they couldn't wait to get in, not as if it were mop up time.

Having JHD and Whitehead, hopefully, next year, with Gotsis, Gamble, Kallon should really help the D. O line should be really good, even if the best lineman is graduating. Plus, we get another year of Snoddy and our QB - who can actually run the offense and likes doing it - comes back, too.

We've come too far to stop now. For Granny. For Nate. For Caretaker.
Let's do it.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I thought #20 Austin looked promising out there as a true freshman. He was really flying around and showing some fire. Snoddy looks like our best a-back with the ball in his hands, and Andrews who has been accused of not blocking, blocked well on the edge on a few plays. Cupboard is not empty for next year.