Where the Program stands

GTBlaze

Banned
You guys who still believe Collins is a top tier defensive coach are just wishing and hoping. If he were adjustments would have been made by game 4 of year 1. He would not hold back using his genius while his reputation and his program become jokes for THREE years. Hey, I hope we get better this season but I’m not pushing my chips in on the idea that Collins was rope a doping for 3 seasons. Of course, if you believe that then you should really be pumped about Key finally deciding to coach his OLIne.
I personally think the CGC bit off way more than he could chew with the marketing, etc and completely put all of his trust into the other coaches while he was out playing with making videos, designing fields, picking game day music, designing uniforms and t shirts, etc etc

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt thinking that he tried way too hard to do every other aspect of the football program besides actually coaching the team

I’m not happy with it at all but a small, tiny little hole in me prays that he is 100% focused on actually coaching this season and is holding the coaching staff accountable.

I’m not saying we will win the national championship by any means but I am hoping and praying that by him being focused on actually coaching, we will see a somewhat dramatic improvement and at least go bowling.

I could be 100% wrong and dreaming but that is my only hope of being somewhat positive about this football program

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I personally think the CGC bit off way more than he could chew with the marketing, etc and completely put all of his trust into the other coaches while he was out playing with making videos, designing fields, picking game day music, designing uniforms and t shirts, etc etc

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt thinking that he tried way too hard to do every other aspect of the football program besides actually coaching the team

I’m not happy with it at all but a small, tiny little hole in me prays that he is 100% focused on actually coaching this season and is holding the coaching staff accountable.

I’m not saying we will win the national championship by any means but I am hoping and praying that by him being focused on actually coaching, we will see a somewhat dramatic improvement and at least go bowling.

I could be 100% wrong and dreaming but that is my only hope of being somewhat positive about this football program
You are a good person.

It took cgc 3 years to figure out that certain ast coaches weren't getting it done.

We were close in several games due to having Gibbs.

Cgc has to do more than just do better to keep his job.

If the new ast coaches and the players do better, they prove that cgc didnt know it was a clown show till 100 to 0.

I think we will look way better on offense & defense.
However its " rabbit out of hat time" for cgc.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I believe they always had from the beginning a 3 year period of just getting through as best they could and it was always going to be ugly during that 3 yr period no matter what they did. GT does not run off players, coaches knew this when he came, really good coaches were never going to come to GT until they were ready to dive into doing their real thing. We now IMO are just starting to dive into what CGC always wanted to do from the beginning. Thus 7 new coaches. Bobby Ross went through the same thing for about the same period of time. Not sure Ross had to hire 7 new coaches at the end of his going through period. Do I think CGC will have the same result as Bobby Ross, have no idea about that, but I'm looking forward to improvement over the next couple years.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I appreciate your optimism and I am also looking for any reason I can find to be optimistic but CGC “actually coaching” isn’t one.
I hope CGC is exactly what he has been over the last three years and now some of the pieces are starting to come together. I hope he is a brilliant marketer, organizer, motivator and inspirational leader who now has the right people and procedures in place to organize, motivate and lead us to success.
I have a hard time believing that he has coached or approached the game differently everywhere previous and once he landed his “dream job” he stopped coaching. I also have a hard time believing he’ll flip a switch and get back to coaching.
I think, and this is purely my suspicion, that he may have had too many like minded people around him... too many “yes men” focused on his vision and not on the “dirty work” and discipline and detail of football success. I hope that’s what he means when he says they are focusing on coaching... that other coaches are engaged differently. Because from what I have seen, that’s not CGCs sweet spot.

Not a dig at you... I’ve seen several people say it.... and I could be WAAAY off base too. I’m just thinking the staff changes are a better place to direct my optimism.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Did any of you gtswarmers happen to hear a news report on WSB radio that uga has received this year, more than a billion dollars in donations/scholarships and gifts . If true, that is beyond belief!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
CGC may or may not survive this, but puhleeeeze don't compare him to Bobby Ross.
Thank you. Watching Ross teams from day one you could see that he understood the game, knew how to coach, and had his team and staff well prepared for game day. I honestly believed after watching him on the side line in those first games that he was going to produce something special.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Thank you. Watching Ross teams from day one you could see that he understood the game, knew how to coach, and had his team and staff well prepared for game day. I honestly believed after watching him on the side line in those first games that he was going to produce something special.
Ross had Friedgen as an OC and O'Leary as a DC. How do you think CGC would have done if he's had an OC and DC like those two the first three years? It would have been better. I don't know how much better. But, that's irrelevant to this thread, so I'm hoping that our current OC and de facto DC (CGC), will start to play up towards that level.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I believe they always had from the beginning a 3 year period of just getting through as best they could and it was always going to be ugly during that 3 yr period no matter what they did. GT does not run off players, coaches knew this when he came, really good coaches were never going to come to GT until they were ready to dive into doing their real thing. We now IMO are just starting to dive into what CGC always wanted to do from the beginning. Thus 7 new coaches. Bobby Ross went through the same thing for about the same period of time. Not sure Ross had to hire 7 new coaches at the end of his going through period. Do I think CGC will have the same result as Bobby Ross, have no idea about that, but I'm looking forward to improvement over the next couple years.
When we got EMBARRASSED by Citadel ,it should have been a OBVIOUS wakeup call to Collins that his team was not in any way prepared----but it wasn't. I'm sure the new coaches will try hard but we've lost too much talent from last yr with questionable replacements it seems to right this ship now.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Ross had Friedgen as an OC and O'Leary as a DC. How do you think CGC would have done if he's had an OC and DC like those two the first three years? It would have been better. I don't know how much better. But, that's irrelevant to this thread, so I'm hoping that our current OC and de facto DC (CGC), will start to play up towards that level.
Who do you think was responsible for Ralph and George being here!? Who do you think was responsible for Pnut and Thacker being here? Re-read Northeast Stinger's post above. Trying to compare these two HCs is an exercise in absurdity, and this from someone who thinks Collins on D and especially Long on O, will make a diff.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Who do you think was responsible for Ralph and George being here!? Who do you think was responsible for Pnut and Thacker being here? Re-read Northeast Stinger's post above. Trying to compare these two HCs is an exercise in absurdity, and this from someone who thinks Collins on D and especially Long on O, will make a diff.
LOL! Are you just looking to argue? My point wasn't about comparing Ross to Collins, it was about how we would have done against our competition if we had coordinators at the same level as with Ross. My God!! Does everything have to be a zero-sum game with you guys? Read my comment again before coming at me.

Do you think if we had a Friedgen and O'Leary as coordinators our team wouldn't have looked a little more like Ross's team the past 3 years? I do. How much? Well, that's part of the discussion.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL! Are you just looking to argue? My point wasn't about comparing Ross to Collins, it was about how we would have done against our competition if we had coordinators at the same level as with Ross. My God!! Does everything have to be a zero-sum game with you guys? Read my comment again before coming at me.

Do you think if we had a Friedgen and O'Leary as coordinators our team wouldn't have looked a little more like Ross's team the past 3 years? I do. How much? Well, that's part of the discussion.
Simply follow the posts on this page by me, Northeast Stinger, and then you. I'm confident based on the usual quality of your posts, that you will see how I might have concluded you might have been minimizing Ross's success and excusing CGC's lack thereof, because of Ralph and George. Having said that, I was pointing out that the two head coaches were responsible for their assistants---no more, no less....ok? Sorry for the misunderstanding. Long may not be Ralph and Collins may not be George, but yes, I think they will help relative to the last 3 seasons.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Simply follow the posts on this page by me, Northeast Stinger, and then you. I'm confident based on the usual quality of your posts, that you will see how I might have concluded you might have been minimizing Ross's success and excusing CGC's lack thereof, because of Ralph and George. Having said that, I was pointing out that the two head coaches were responsible for their assistants---no more, no less....ok? Sorry for the misunderstanding. Long may not be Ralph and Collins may not be George, but yes, I think they will help relative to the last 3 seasons.
I have never defended CGC, ever. I came in with Ross and loved those guys. I have the utmost respect for Ross and what he and his teams did. You're reading into what I was written instead of just reading what I wrote. My question was about how we would have done these past three years if we would have had an OC and DC like we had with Ross. It wasn't a comparison of Ross's ability to hire coordinators versus Collins or minimizing what Ross did.

I think we would have been better these past 3 years with the coaching acumen at the coordinator position we had in 1990. Obviously, most think our OC and DC were both well below par the past 3 years, so with above par coordinators, I think we would have been a much different team. Can you imagine what practice would have been like with O'Leary if the DB's were not doing what they were being taught like it has been insinuated they were doing last year? They wouldn't have been playing long.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ugh.

We continually seem to trigger feelings without meaning to.

My only point was that Ross’s teams, even when losing, looked better prepared and sharper. That just seems to me to be empirically true.

Thus I was affirming the previous post which suggested comparing Collins to Ross was foolish which is an opinion that I share.

Now, the only caveat is that if we win a national championship this year then I will admit the comparison is more on point. Still, in the first three years, I see a stark difference just in how each coach handled themselves on the sidelines.

Jolly Good Fellow
I have never defended CGC, ever. I came in with Ross and loved those guys. I have the utmost respect for Ross and what he and his teams did. You're reading into what I was written instead of just reading what I wrote. My question was about how we would have done these past three years if we would have had an OC and DC like we had with Ross. It wasn't a comparison of Ross's ability to hire coordinators versus Collins or minimizing what Ross did.

I think we would have been better these past 3 years with the coaching acumen at the coordinator position we had in 1990. Obviously, most think our OC and DC were both well below par the past 3 years, so with above par coordinators, I think we would have been a much different team. Can you imagine what practice would have been like with O'Leary if the DB's were not doing what they were being taught like it has been insinuated they were doing last year? They wouldn't have been playing long.
"I have never defended CGC, ever..."
LOL!