Where the Program stands

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Appreciate the insight @Ibeeballin I have been hoping this would come to pass, that CAT would focus on echoing and aligning CGC's scheme/message. Akin to a Chief of Staff in major corporations. CGC setting the plan and strategy and then letting CAT be the gobetween for each of the rooms to make sure we don't have fronts playing one scheme with the back end doing something totally different.

Seems CAT has some recruiting chops so letting him learn on the job (if CGC will be free enough now with CCL coming onboard) could be a good thing in the long run. Here is to hoping, and the first whiskey is on me after our next Natty. 🥃🥃

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
From what i saw, Thacker is a quality control Inspector and CGC is the actual DC

Hopefully, we get the MSU & UF level of defensive play. Never saw those defenses look lost or out of position
I felt like the clemson game last year was also called by collins and it showed.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Appreciate the insight @Ibeeballin I have been hoping this would come to pass, that CAT would focus on echoing and aligning CGC's scheme/message. Akin to a Chief of Staff in major corporations. CGC setting the plan and strategy and then letting CAT be the gobetween for each of the rooms to make sure we don't have fronts playing one scheme with the back end doing something totally different.

Seems CAT has some recruiting chops so letting him learn on the job (if CGC will be free enough now with CCL coming onboard) could be a good thing in the long run. Here is to hoping, and the first whiskey is on me after our next Natty. 🥃🥃

You know how dysfunctional the offensive units had to be for a top tier defensive mind to leave his unit just help on that side of the ball?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
You know how dysfunctional the offensive units had to be for a top tier defensive mind to leave his unit just help on that side of the ball?
That is what is so crazy to me about all of this. CGC made his name, and career on the D side so watching our performance there has to be tough on him.

I am hoping we see a whole new team top to bottom with CCL coming in and CGC being able to focus on the D side of the ball. Hope spring eternal.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I mean it's either that or the Top Tier reputation is not as deserved. Am hoping you're right. Shame we spent three years with CDP as OC. That might be a very impactful decision by CGC.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You guys who still believe Collins is a top tier defensive coach are just wishing and hoping. If he were adjustments would have been made by game 4 of year 1. He would not hold back using his genius while his reputation and his program become jokes for THREE years. Hey, I hope we get better this season but I’m not pushing my chips in on the idea that Collins was rope a doping for 3 seasons. Of course, if you believe that then you should really be pumped about Key finally deciding to coach his OLIne.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You guys who still believe Collins is a top tier defensive coach are just wishing and hoping. If he were adjustments would have been made by game 4 of year 1. He would not hold back using his genius while his reputation and his program become jokes for THREE years. Hey, I hope we get better this season but I’m not pushing my chips in on the idea that Collins was rope a doping for 3 seasons. Of course, if you believe that then you should really be pumped about Key finally deciding to coach his OLIne.
I admit, none of this adds up to me. Collins does in fact have a good record as DC elsewhere. Yet he watched this poorly coached defense for three years before stepping in? I don't understand.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm a guy who loves offense, but if GT wins on defense, I don't care. Just win, baby!

We saw under Gailey that GT can beat some very good teams with a good defense and an opportunistic offense. I'm okay with that formula...I just want to get back to regular bowl games and knowing we have a puncher's chance every game.

I'm excited about the new OC, and excited to see the Minister of Mayhem calling the defense. Maybe if both sides are humming GT can be a team that comes out of nowhere and surprise a lot of good teams...our schedule will be full of those good teams this year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ouch

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
From what i saw, Thacker is a quality control Inspector and CGC is the actual DC

Hopefully, we get the MSU & UF level of defensive play. Never saw those defenses look lost or out o

Hopefully, we get the MSU & UF level of defensive play. Never saw those defenses look lost or out of position
It would be better if CCGC is the defensive coordinator during the game. Thacker surely did not get it done.

slugboy

Staff member
Sound like he was more a mediator btw clashing philosophies amongst coaches
It makes more sense that coaching philosophies didn’t mesh than Patenaude and Key and other veteran coaches having a tough time getting everyone to know their assignments.

Play has looked discombobulated on offense, defense, and special teams. Hopefully coaches are aligned this year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It makes more sense that coaching philosophies didn’t mesh than Patenaude and Key and other veteran coaches having a tough time getting everyone to know their assignments.

Play has looked discombobulated on offense, defense, and special teams. Hopefully coaches are aligned this year.
Just wondering if the dissonance might have been symptomatic of a staff put together primarily for its members' recruiting skills while meshing as coaches was given lesser importance in the hiring decisions.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just wondering if the dissonance might have been symptomatic of a staff put together primarily for its members' recruiting skills while meshing as coaches was given lesser importance in the hiring decisions.
I would entertain this thought if this discussion was held around game 5 of season 1. But 3 years! 3 YEARS!!!! That’s not dissonance, that is incompetence. Middle school coaches would have fixed that during the first season. That’s why I am most disappointed in Key and Choice. They watched this incompetence up close every day and didn’t do a thing because you don’t do that in the fraternity even if it’s at the expense of your school. That’s why this time next July Collins will be a DB coach at a mid level SEC team and Key will be somewhere similar rebuilding their reputation.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I would entertain this thought if this discussion was held around game 5 of season 1. But 3 years! 3 YEARS!!!! That’s not dissonance, that is incompetence. Middle school coaches would have fixed that during the first season. That’s why I am most disappointed in Key and Choice. They watched this incompetence up close every day and didn’t do a thing because you don’t do that in the fraternity even if it’s at the expense of your school. That’s why this time next July Collins will be a DB coach at a mid level SEC team and Key will be somewhere similar rebuilding their reputation.
It would seem so. Still, I hold out hope. Maybe we'll get lucky and the new staff will mesh. I'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

You’re constantly speaking as if circumstances were normal for this group

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You’re constantly speaking as if circumstances were normal for this group
And you are consistently giving this group excuses for failure.

I am definitely guilty of wondering why our D1 recruited DB’s can’t cover wide recievers. I‘m definitely guilty of wondering why we struggle to make gimme field goals. I‘m definitely guilty of wondering why our defensive players are not allowed to get near the opposing QB. I’m definitely guilty of wondering why we can’t get an offensive play called within the allotted time. I’m definitely guilty of wondering why we lose to none P5 teams. But, I realize circumstances have caused all these.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And you are consistently giving this group excuses for failure.

I am definitely guilty of wondering why our D1 recruited DB’s can’t cover wide recievers. I‘m definitely guilty of wondering why we struggle to make gimme field goals. I‘m definitely guilty of wondering why our defensive players are not allowed to get near the opposing QB. I’m definitely guilty of wondering why we can’t get an offensive play called within the allotted time. I’m definitely guilty of wondering why we lose to none P5 teams. But, I realize circumstances have caused all these.
Yeah, I think this is the disconnect when people want to cut CGC some slack. Even if you buy the argument that it takes 7 years to transition from the option (I don’t) or that he really didn’t want the players in his first recruiting class (what?!) or that Covid year doesn’t count (sigh) or that players aren’t ready to play college ball until they are a red shirt junior (yep, some argue that) we are still left with the points you identified ALL of which could be improved or eliminated by better coaching.

I want CGC to succeed because if he succeeds Tech succeeds. But lowering the bar for what we expect from a coaching staff is depressing as hell.