Where has this version of James Graham been all year?

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I see some flashes of great play from Graham and I think he will improve his accuracy on the short throws. BUT, I think our QB of the future is not currently on the roster. Its about game/ball management. Graham's future in the NFL would be as a slot receiver. He could do great things here as a slot receiver with his quickness and speed.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Yall don’t give up on Graham, remember how young this kid is! The tools are all there he just needs more practice and playing time to get consistent

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
@33jacket @yeti92 we can go maybe half his fault

Both were read options leaving the DE unblocked as the read key. The first one is on Howard for not even going to the mesh

giphy.gif

Same play here. Graham see the DE crashing on the RB and attempted to pull and got blown up

giphy.gif

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow

Both were read options leaving the DE unblocked as the read key. The first one is on Howard for not even going to the mesh

giphy.gif

Same play here. Graham see the DE crashing on the RB and attempted to pull and got blown up

giphy.gif

On the 2nd fumble, the other camera angle shows he never really had control after the mesh. Just a sloppy play.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I believe your first clip there was not an option. The rb sets to block not carry out the fake. Imo that first clip was a qb power play. The lg pulls. Its for sure a lead power play. He shoulda hit the de and didn’t. There are two designs for this play. One has the pulling g kick out the de. The other has the rb kick out the de. Both ended up in the hole on the lb. basically. Howard or the pulling g messsed up. If u notice there is really no read. The other rb was carrying out the arc. We essentially had three blockers for two players someone owned that de in some capacity.

This is why i put that one on graham.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
The first play not sure were was confusion between the G and RB if not a read as stated. If both would've put hat on targets with RB chipping that DE that made the hit, Graham has room to run into breakdown on right and if turns it outside at 2nd level maybe makes it to end-zone that play about 80% on the missed blocking assignment and 20% on him for the handle. The last one is split they didn't mesh at all and play was blown up but still had time to tuck the ball but didn't.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe your first clip there was not an option. The rb sets to block not carry out the fake. Imo that first clip was a qb power play. The lg pulls. Its for sure a lead power play. He shoulda hit the de and didn’t. There are two designs for this play. One has the pulling g kick out the de. The other has the rb kick out the de. Both ended up in the hole on the lb. basically. Howard or the pulling g messsed up. If u notice there is really no read. The other rb was carrying out the arc. We essentially had three blockers for two players someone owned that de in some capacity.

Not on Graham.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
For Graham to quit overthrowing guys, he will need some intensive work on his delivery and footwork. Hopefully, we have the guy that can assist him in getting there. Those overthrows, especially on shorter range targets, CANNOT happen. What I saw last night, although he played pretty well overall, he under throws the fly patterns (guys slowed down to run under it) and overthrows (sometimes) the passes over the middle. I am hoping with the right coaching, his fundamentals improve and with that, his accuracy improves.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I just want to see progression with quarterbacks. When was the last time we saw a big jump from year to year as far as passing improvement? CPJ's tenure was tough to gauge as he wanted to be efficient throwing the ball and a good game tossing may not translate to high completion %, etc. CPJ's successful passing scheme reminded me more of a 3-pt %...I think we saw improvement from his era on decision making and running the ball, but outside of raw talent our QBs never seemed to improve in passing; form, footwork, etc.

Anyway, going back to my original point, I'm genuinely curious what you all recall? Godsey I think, right? He got better year over year then we had subsequent QBs that plateaued or in some cases regressed statistically (Reggie Ball's senior year if memory serves). Graham is young and we've seen improvement this year alone, so hopefully we have the right QB coach and he continues to see a jump year to year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I really have no problem with Graham, my problem is still P'nut too many long passes on 1st down if you want to pass try some medium to short passes more. And maybe it's just me but it seems like 80 percent to the time on 3th and long all we do is a run. And yes I understand the defense is teeing off but maybe a screen pass would slow them down.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I just want to see progression with quarterbacks. When was the last time we saw a big jump from year to year as far as passing improvement? CPJ's tenure was tough to gauge as he wanted to be efficient throwing the ball and a good game tossing may not translate to high completion %, etc. CPJ's successful passing scheme reminded me more of a 3-pt %...I think we saw improvement from his era on decision making and running the ball, but outside of raw talent our QBs never seemed to improve in passing; form, footwork, etc.

Anyway, going back to my original point, I'm genuinely curious what you all recall? Godsey I think, right? He got better year over year then we had subsequent QBs that plateaued or in some cases regressed statistically (Reggie Ball's senior year if memory serves). Graham is young and we've seen improvement this year alone, so hopefully we have the right QB coach and he continues to see a jump year to year.

The one other guy I can think of who improved his passing over time was Tevin, but people didnt give him credit because he didnt throw a pretty ball.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Looked like the RB was supposed to take the de but the de blew past him. The LG needs to react to that situation and block the crashing de. At least get a body on somebody. Guess he assumed the RB would take him.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
JG threw some good balls last night and guys made tough catches. I did think that one to AB that he dropped was high risk when we needed a drive to eat clock and rest the D. I want to say it was in the 4th quarter. If we hit it and score then it was lights out but risky at that time.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
For Graham to quit overthrowing guys, he will need some intensive work on his delivery and footwork. Hopefully, we have the guy that can assist him in getting there. Those overthrows, especially on shorter range targets, CANNOT happen. What I saw last night, although he played pretty well overall, he under throws the fly patterns (guys slowed down to run under it) and overthrows (sometimes) the passes over the middle. I am hoping with the right coaching, his fundamentals improve and with that, his accuracy improves.

I don't agree. He has trouble with consistency with setting his feet, which is a fundamentals thing, but there doesn't need to be a mechanical change in his approach overall. If someone is overthinking things and losing poise, even the most fundamentally sound athletes have breakdowns in their usual mechanics. Working on this problem through breaking down mechanics and practicing them specifically is one potential path to improvement. It's not the only one.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
He is still learning, if you watch the game his deep ball is off a little. I'm not complaining I'm just saying that his youth is still apparent. Had he put more on the ball to Carter it would have been a TD on the first play and the deep pass that Brown dropped most likely would have been caught had it been out in front of him more. His intermediate passes are generally thrown high as was the crossing pattern to Carter, I think in the late 3rd quarter. Like the play by play guy was saying, it's all about feet placement. I think he will learn but like anything it will take more time

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Looked like the RB was supposed to take the de but the de blew past him. The LG needs to react to that situation and block the crashing de. At least get a body on somebody. Guess he assumed the RB would take him.

The rb body language suggests he thought he had lb; but so did the lg. like i said u can block that play a few ways. Bottom line either of the two messed up.