Where does this year's coaching by Pastner rank in GT history?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Question for the Tech fans 30 years and older. If we were to win these two games, where would this season rank in terms of GT hoops coaching jobs? I have to think that an ACC title/Sweet 16 run would rank up near the top in terms of pure coaching jobs. Probably even more than 2004.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Question for the Tech fans 30 years and older. If we were to win these two games, where would this season rank in terms of GT hoops coaching jobs? I have to think that an ACC title/Sweet 16 run would rank up near the top in terms of pure coaching jobs. Probably even more than 2004.

IMO you judge coaching jobs more on the regular season than on a post season. Post season tournaments being single elimination make it too hard to really judge a coaching job. Over the course of a season you not only get a normalization of data but you also get to see progress over the course of the year. Consistent post season success is a good indicator over the course of a career though. This has been a good coaching job this year overall. I'd actually put it below Pastner's first year but it's really more about how you view coach. That year was more of a great one year coaching job. This year was more a good coaching job over the course of 4 years culminating in this year.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
35 here, so I will take a crack. I think it would be high given all the mental aspects of COVID and the way the season started with the two loses. Now throw in the loss of Moses.

We just have to stay square to the challenge and fight our way through. We have got the pieces, and hurt as it does to lose the ACCPOY, we saw a roadmap to what we can do looking at you FSU game. Howard will be serviceable to good on D.

If the coaches and team pull this off, it would be a third major lineup change and Offensive Scheme for important games brought on by something beyond our control. Let's go get this money!

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
35 here, so I will take a crack. I think it would be high given all the mental aspects of COVID and the way the season started with the two loses. Now throw in the loss of Moses.

We just have to stay square to the challenge and fight our way through. We have got the pieces, and hurt as it does to lose the ACCPOY, we saw a roadmap to what we can do looking at you FSU game. Howard will be serviceable to good on D.

If the coaches and team pull this off, it would be a third major lineup change and Offensive Scheme for important games brought on by something beyond our control. Let's go get this money!
I barely make this cut off being 30.

Hmmm.... Lets take it from 2000 and on. Paul Hewitt could recruit... But... coaching and selecting what I would call "GT" guys was suspect. That run was heavily influenced by a reduced talent field in college ball that year. UCONN held probably 25% of the best talent in ball that year :ROFLMAO: .

I think Jameer Nelson won Naismith player of the year in 2004. That kind of hints towards the talent pool. There were solid teams/ players. BUT we had a team led by Sophomores and Juniors. This helped us gel. This year reminds me A LOT of 2004. There is no true "superstar" talent in college ball, and we have an older team. This year is very comparable to 2004 in the sense of talent pool in college ball.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer

Hmmm.... Lets take it from 2000 and on. Paul Hewitt could recruit... But... coaching and selecting what I would call "GT" guys was suspect. That run was heavily influenced by a reduced talent field in college ball that year. UCONN held probably 25% of the best talent in ball that year :ROFLMAO: .

I think Jameer Nelson won Naismith player of the year in 2004. That kind of hints towards the talent pool. There were solid teams/ players. BUT we had a team led by Sophomores and Juniors. This helped us gel. This year reminds me A LOT of 2004. There is no true "superstar" talent in college ball, and we have an older team. This year is very comparable to 2004 in the sense of talent pool in college ball.
The talent pool was great that year, especially in the ACC. A team like Duke would be the best team in the country in 2021 by far (JJ, Duhon, Deng, Williams)

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Hoping it's a false positive and he only has to sit one game. I don't know the procedure, is there a possibility he can pay against illinois if we make it there?

Above all hoping Moses is safe and well.
IMO you judge coaching jobs more on the regular season than on a post season. Post season tournaments being single elimination make it too hard to really judge a coaching job. Over the course of a season you not only get a normalization of data but you also get to see progress over the course of the year. Consistent post season success is a good indicator over the course of a career though. This has been a good coaching job this year overall. I'd actually put it below Pastner's first year but it's really more about how you view coach. That year was more of a great one year coaching job. This year was more a good coaching job over the course of 4 years culminating in this year.
I agree with lv20gt here. Look at Hewitt; one great tournament run and we bet the financial house on him. It wasn’t long before we regretted it.

I like Pastner and the job he’s done, but at this point I still think Cremins is the best coach we’ve had. As bad as things were in our program when CJP came in, they were much worse when Bobby took over, and he had us among the elite in the ACC in just a few years. More importantly, he kept us there for more than a decade before we started to slip.

slugboy

Staff member
For a letter grade, "ACC Title" equals "automatic A".

For stack ranking all time coaching jobs, coaching isn't a 1-year gig. Cremins had a NCAA appearance stream from 1985-1993. Based on that, I put 1990 as an aggregate #1 with a Final 4 and an ACC title and a cumulative beast of a team. I'd put 2003-05 with a NCAA Championship appearance in 04 and back to back NCAA's next. I'd put this and 1996 (Sweet 16) neck and neck with each other, with this year and last a bit ahead at #3 because of the rebuild. Arguably, the job Cremins did from 80-85 was huge and I'm not rating that highly enough.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
The test with CJP will be the next 3-4 years. He has done good job from where he started. One year he whiffed on recruits - but otherwise has followed the roadmap he laid out at the start.
Talent coming in next year is among best we've seen in a long time. Exposure and ACC Championship will only help recruiting the next couple of years.

Will team drop some next year - probably - but that depends on which if any seniors choose to play an extra year (i.e. if Alvarado/Usher/Wright all choose to come back, GT will be in pre-season Top 25). If they do, the players behind will have time to develop (especially the bigs) and level of play we saw in the ACC can be sustained after next season - and - I suspect CJP would sub more like FSU does as we'd be really deep and talented on the wings (which I think helps as you have more options when someone is hurt, foul trouble, having an off day, etc.).

If none do, I still see a team that is middle of the pack in the ACC - fighting to get to the NCAAT. There is room for one more scholarship player which I expect we'll find someone that fits or plugs a hole out there (that would be someone to step into Moses shoes).

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
For a letter grade, "ACC Title" equals "automatic A".

For stack ranking all time coaching jobs, coaching isn't a 1-year gig. Cremins had a NCAA appearance stream from 1985-1993. Based on that, I put 1990 as an aggregate #1 with a Final 4 and an ACC title and a cumulative beast of a team. I'd put 2003-05 with a NCAA Championship appearance in 04 and back to back NCAA's next. I'd put this and 1996 (Sweet 16) neck and neck with each other, with this year and last a bit ahead at #3 because of the rebuild. Arguably, the job Cremins did from 80-85 was huge and I'm not rating that highly enough.
Agree with your assessment - except the teams Mark Price and John Salley's junior/senior years might have been the best teams GT ever had ... A lot of people under 30 may never have seen them or watched much of them (the style of play was different back then also) - but talent and chemistry wise they were really good. GT was pre-season #1 one year .... no team in country they could not beat on given night.

TheJuiceIsLoose404

Jolly Good Fellow

For what it’s worth Ken Pomeroy says the 2004 ACC is the strongest conference in college basketball history.

So being 59......I think the best coaching job I witnessed was the 1984-1985 season. We were 6 players going against some of the best the ACC had to offer. We reach the final 8 in the NCAA going down to Georgetown and Ewing. It was the beginning of a long run for Tech basketball.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
So being 59......I think the best coaching job I witnessed was the 1984-1985 season. We were 6 players going against some of the best the ACC had to offer. We reach the final 8 in the NCAA going down to Georgetown and Ewing. It was the beginning of a long run for Tech basketball.
That was the first I'd heard of GT, and got the school on my radar for applying a year later. Thanks Cremins!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So, being considerably north of 30, I may remember back further than some. The two Final Four teams were clearly my favorites, but this year comes close. If we somehow survive the games this weekend I will probably have to reassess my rankings. The shear joy of watching the growth of Moses and Jose has been really special. The things these young men had to overcome and the honor they have brought to Ga Tech is something the other two teams cannot approach.

GT_EE78

Banned
make that over 60
1985 and 1990 are way ahead of 04
this one is probably in top ten

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This, being 57 and being at all the home games, this is still my top year of play, despite not going to the Final Four.
The loss to Georgetown was heartbreaking.

I am WAY over 30 (LOL), and I would rank this season up there with many of the Cremins years (but not better than) and on a par with Hewitt's 2004 team. The "fun" of watching the games this year definitely rivals those years, and that would have to be due to the coach and the kinds of players he has playing for us.