Where does this year's coaching by Pastner rank in GT history?

Deleted member 2897

Yeah, that's how models work.

Yea but they just said out loud “this conference is rated too high - tweak the model”. LOL. Just more evidence of how these things are manipulated to a personal end goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yea but they just said out loud “this conference is rated too high - tweak the model”. LOL. Just more evidence of how these things are manipulated to a personal end goal.
That isn't what happened at all. Someone noticed all of the conferences were higher than the average over the last 19 years and Pomeroy found an error in his formula.

Deleted member 2897

That isn't what happened at all. Someone noticed all of the conferences were higher than the average over the last 19 years and Pomeroy found an error in his formula.

Okay, I was just going off what was reported here. I didn’t realize they had given a different explanation somewhere else. Not worth my time to fact check everything posted here.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
For what it’s worth Ken Pomeroy says the 2004 ACC is the strongest conference in college basketball history.

I think that's the thing. The ACC was still the "ACC" in basketball then.

That does hold true to the GT team and how good they were to survive ACC play. I'm just curious how watered down the rest of college ball was haha.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I barely make this cut off being 30.

Hmmm.... Lets take it from 2000 and on. Paul Hewitt could recruit... But... coaching and selecting what I would call "GT" guys was suspect. That run was heavily influenced by a reduced talent field in college ball that year. UCONN held probably 25% of the best talent in ball that year :ROFLMAO: .

I think Jameer Nelson won Naismith player of the year in 2004. That kind of hints towards the talent pool. There were solid teams/ players. BUT we had a team led by Sophomores and Juniors. This helped us gel. This year reminds me A LOT of 2004. There is no true "superstar" talent in college ball, and we have an older team. This year is very comparable to 2004 in the sense of talent pool in college ball.
The talent level in college basketball was not down in 2004. Just go look at what we had to compete against just in the ACC. Using Jameer Nelson as proof the talent level was down destroys your own argument. He played about 15 years in the NBA, was an NBA Allstar, started on a team that went to the NBA Finals. It sounds like you are trying to downplay our ONLY run to the NCAA championship which is ludicrous. That entire year was an excellent coaching job and execution by the players. Starting 12-0 while destroying #1 UCONN was amazing to experience as a fan.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
A coach can only compete against the team on his schedule. The only reliable test of coaching is based on head-to-head competition. All the models and metrics that try to compare and rank talent across teams and eras that never played each other is weak. People will have strong beliefs about comparing teams that never faced each or relative strengths of schedule across eras and, as a subsequent, will interpret data that reinforce those beliefs as quantitatively insightful. But it really isn't valid, as those with a different set of beliefs will be happy to point out.

My own bias is simple enough. Judge the coach based on the ACC winning percentage of that team. That is based on as balanced and consistent of information as possible and is based on head to head competition. Our winning percentage this season of .647 would rank pretty much tied for third with the '85 team which was 9-5 (.642).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My memory doesn't go too far back (started following GT sports in 1990...it's been mostly a letdown since then :)), but Paul Hewitt's first year was actually a REALLY good coaching job. Ended up 5th in the ACC and took us to the NCAA tournament with Alvin Jones and little Tony Akins.

I will say I've enjoyed this season as much as any season I can remember...and that includes the 2004 run. From a expectations standpoint, I know I expected us to finish in the top 4-5 in the ACC and make the NCAAT. I had ZERO expectations that we could win the ACCT (F U to anyone who brings up any Covid excuses). So given those 3, for me at least, it's one of the better coaching jobs I can remember. Not just from W-Ls standpoint, but from a X's and O's and player development standpoint as well.

slugboy

Staff member
I think that's the thing. The ACC was still the "ACC" in basketball then.

That does hold true to the GT team and how good they were to survive ACC play. I'm just curious how watered down the rest of college ball was haha.
The Big East was still something powerful then—they had UConn, still had Syracuse, Nova, WVU, etc. That’s still in the era of “which conference is best—ACC or Big East”, at least, on the tail end of the debate.

Deleted member 2897

Question for the Tech fans 30 years and older. If we were to win these two games, where would this season rank in terms of GT hoops coaching jobs? I have to think that an ACC title/Sweet 16 run would rank up near the top in terms of pure coaching jobs. Probably even more than 2004.

Hey Josh, that's a great question. ( :ROFLMAO: )

Just Joshing.

My first answer is better than Kevin Young who won ACC coach of the year this year. Yes I'm still butt hurt about that. I would have probably picked 4 other coaches (at least) before picking Mr. Duck.

Anyway, I think he did a fine job this year. Sometimes you need the dust to settle for awhile to really think things through. He has a bunch of seniors - his first real get old/stay old team since he's been here. And we made the tournament and won the ACC tournament. Should've probably been a 6 seed. Lost Moses for the first 2 rounds. Lots of things he can't control. 4th place regular season in the ACC. I'd give him probably an A-. I wouldn't think this year would be a top 5 coaching performance, but it was definitely one of the better ones.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at Tech during the early Bobby Cremins years. I would rate this year's coaching job behind his 1985 - 1992 and Hewitt's 2004. I would also point out that Pastner inherited a program that was in much better shape than his predecessor. Gregory is the one who had to coach games in Gwinnett Arena for a year while getting us out of hot water with the APR. He also left Pastner with a team that went deep into the NIT the year before. Pastner then took that team to the NIT final, so the cupboard was hardly bare. I appreciate Gregory for doing all the dirty work. In any event, I think this was Pastner's best coaching job and I hope he can keep it going.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I would also point out that Pastner inherited a program that was in much better shape than his predecessor. Gregory is the one who had to coach games in Gwinnett Arena for a year while getting us out of hot water with the APR. He also left Pastner with a team that went deep into the NIT the year before. Pastner then took that team to the NIT final, so the cupboard was hardly bare. I appreciate Gregory for doing all the dirty work.

Brian, you got bigger things to worry about than your reputation on this site. Go deal with the racist assistant please and stop trying to gaslight.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Brian, you got bigger things to worry about than your reputation on this site. Go deal with the racist assistant please and stop trying to gaslight.
Josh, don't worry. In the interest of self-preservation, keep telling everyone what a major rebuild this is, how nobody expected you to win more than 1 game, and to wait 5 years until we got old.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I was at Tech during the early Bobby Cremins years. I would rate this year's coaching job behind his 1985 - 1992 and Hewitt's 2004. I would also point out that Pastner inherited a program that was in much better shape than his predecessor. Gregory is the one who had to coach games in Gwinnett Arena for a year while getting us out of hot water with the APR. He also left Pastner with a team that went deep into the NIT the year before. Pastner then took that team to the NIT final, so the cupboard was hardly bare. I appreciate Gregory for doing all the dirty work. In any event, I think this was Pastner's best coaching job and I hope he can keep it going.

Only one player who played 50% of available minutes from Gregory's NIT team returned the next year. That was Quinton Stephens at 50.2%.

To say Pastner inherited a program in good shape, or even decent shape, is extremely dishonest, bordering on shameful deceit.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
So Josh Okogie, Ben Lammers, Tadric Jackson, Quinton Stephens, and Cory Hayward (all Gregory recruits) had nothing to do with Pastner winning ACC coach of the year.