Where do we go from here?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Per 247 we have 18 former 4 stars and have at least one at every position group with the most at DB. Overwhelmingly though, they have not contributed at 4 star level.

Tillman is not a good coach. I see nowhere he’s been that has produced even average DBs

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
When everyone is underperforming it could be that all the talent evaluators just whiffed on all of them, but “bad coaching and training” seems a lot simpler of an explanation. Hard for me to accept that the defensive talent level is just somehow worst in the country.

This year was about showing progress and reversing Collins-era trends. The offense has done that and shown the ability to bring in high-ceiling pieces in addition to going from godawful to above average. The defense has not.

Since at least one unit is doing it I’m not gonna call for Key’s head yet.

Let’s see if Sherrer can turn the tide around for the D. And start filling up the piggy bank in case if he can’t. (Looking at you, big donors who supposedly made ultimatums for Key.)

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
When everyone is underperforming it could be that all the talent evaluators just whiffed on all of them, but “bad coaching and training” seems a lot simpler of an explanation.

This year was about showing progress and reversing Collins-era trends. The offense has done that and shown the ability to bring in high-ceiling pieces in addition to going from godawful to above average. The defense has not.

Since at least one unit is doing it I’m not gonna call for Key’s head yet.

Let’s see if Sherrer can turn the tide around for the D. And start filling up the piggy bank in case if he can’t. (Looking at you, big donors who supposedly made ultimatums for Key.)
Sherrer has a little more than half a season to show some improvement, Otherwise, I imagine we hire from the outside at the end of the year.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s a tough spot because a mirage resulting in us hiring him (like with Thacker benefitting from the departed seniors and some luck) could be a bad thing going forward.

That said, the schedule is tough, so it’s hard for me to see good results happening without some impressive coaching compared to what we’ve seen so far.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Hey now, I will not sit back and allow the mighty Ohio Bobcats to be slandered! Tim Albin has done a great job with that program. They went 10-4 last year with a bowl win over Arizona, and are 4-1 so far this year with a nasty defense. They should be 5-0, except their starting QB got knocked out in their opening game vs. San Diego State.
The three teams BG has lost to (which includes #2 Michigan) have a combined record of 13-1.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
No MAC team should be considered a gimme by us
Anytime a Power 5 school is playing a team from the MAC, it should be an auto-win for the P5 team. Yes, upsets do happen. But getting upset is embarrassing, that’s literally why it’s called an upset lol.

Tech losing to MAC Bowling Green is embarrassing. The MAC is probably the 9th best of the 10 FBS conferences, and Bowling Green is one of the worst programs in that conference. This isn’t like losing to Tulane, Memphis, App State, UL-Lafayette, Boise State, SDSU, etc. This is closer to losing to an FCS team. All-time the MAC is 19-88 against the ACC. 2 of their wins (over 10%!!!!!!!!! all time) are courtesy of Georgia Tech in the last 3 seasons. That is embarrassing. There is no other way to put it. This was a gimme game. We paid them $1MILLION dollars to come play. Not sure why you’re trying so hard to paint it any other way

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Gonna have to wait a few years, my friend. How can a school that ranks so high academically, pay over half a million dollars a year to someone who can't engineer a football game, against schools who don't even have engineering programs? Glad the ranking folks at U.S. News don't realize the connection.

I think the feeling at the top is the opposite. We consider players amateur student athletes and sucking at football infers the quality of our academics.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Bowl Next year or he’s gone. This season is over. Next year we improve or do it all over again.
If we have to fire Key at the end of 24, I don’t even know if we’ll be able to afford another coach, or if we just have to absolve the program. That would be 6 straight losing seasons, and 7 of the last 8. All while our in-state rival is in the midst of one of the best runs of all time. I actually have no idea how we would be able to hire another staff in 2 years. Maybe CDS can get basketball deep into the tournament so at least we would generate some sort of athletics revenue and attention. If not… yikes

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
On Saturday we go to miami.

They have acc top offense and defense.

Our defense is dead last.

Our offense run game is middle of pack.but our passing game is tied for first w Miami.

it's cool that the Miami qb is tied with our qb for top of acc in passing.

Time to refocus.

If we play passive defense this could get ugly in 4th quarter

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Anytime a Power 5 school is playing a team from the MAC, it should be an auto-win for the P5 team. Yes, upsets do happen. But getting upset is embarrassing, that’s literally why it’s called an upset lol.

Tech losing to MAC Bowling Green is embarrassing. The MAC is probably the 9th best of the 10 FBS conferences, and Bowling Green is one of the worst programs in that conference. This isn’t like losing to Tulane, Memphis, App State, UL-Lafayette, Boise State, SDSU, etc. This is closer to losing to an FCS team. All-time the MAC is 19-88 against the ACC. 2 of their wins (over 10%!!!!!!!!! all time) are courtesy of Georgia Tech in the last 3 seasons. That is embarrassing. There is no other way to put it. This was a gimme game. We paid them $1MILLION dollars to come play. Not sure why you’re trying so hard to paint it any other way
Usually, but hardly a gimme. Historically, the MAC has won about one of every seven games played against the B1G and the ACC. Hardly "automatic":

I'm being wildly mischaracterized. I said we should have won the game. I'm simply pointing out that this was not a "gimme" game, and the reason we lost may well be that we took them lightly.
S.C. State was a "gimme". Bowling Green was not (obviously). And what does how much we paid them have to do with whether the win was "automatic"?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Usually, but hardly a gimme. Historically, the MAC has won about one of every seven games played against the B1G and the ACC. Hardly "automatic":

I'm being wildly mischaracterized. I said we should have won the game. I'm simply pointing out that this was not a "gimme" game, and the reason we lost may well be that we took them lightly.
S.C. State was a "gimme". Bowling Green was not (obviously). And what does how much we paid them have to do with whether the win was "automatic"?
And not to put too fine a point on it but Tech hasn’t had any “gimmie” games in over four years. We are just not good enough to sleep walk through any game and automatically win.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It does seem like our second-half swoons (or in Saturday's case, second quarter) are at least partly the result of getting out-adjusted, and not having a plan for it. Our apparent inability to think a move or two ahead is indeed troubling. Or, it could simply be that we are a one-trick pony. That trick is very good until it is countered.
I agree. Our second half adjustments have been anemic so far.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I know full well I'm in the minority. And I was also in the minority when I tried to ring the warning bells before the game. As I've said, we should have won the game. But no, it was never a gimme and just speculating but maybe the reason we lost was that it was erroneously thought to be a gimme all along. And just because we were three TD faves means nothing. Obviously, the line was way off.

By the way, my stats above were way off. Bowling Green has now beaten TEN Power 5 teams since 2000:

2001: Missouri, Northwestern
2002: Missouri, Kansas
2003: Purdue, Northwestern
2007: Minnesota
2008: Pittsburgh
2021: Minnesota
2023: Georgia Tech

Maybe calling them a "gimme" is the problem that needs to be corrected.

After hearing our starting linebacker saying they overlooked (or was it didn't take seriously...whatever), BG's history of beating P5 teams should have been the #1 message Key should have posted in every player's locker, in the weight room, in the meeting rooms, in the dining hall, etc. Honestly, if I heard one of my players ever say "we overlooked team X" I would be disappointed in myself as a coach, and would question whether or not I was sending the correct message.

I hope the BG game has all the players attention, and has all the coaches on alert. You never want to lose, especially to a team you have a clear advantage over, but sometimes things are a blessing in disguise. Maybe this will serve the team well the remainder of the season. You better handle your business every day, and you better take these games seriously. You can easily be embarrassed.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wish I could say I was the one that researched this, but it was someone else on another board first posted about this.

In the last 11 years (2013-2023) we are 11-21 against FBS OOC opponents, and given that we went 4-0 in both 2014 and 2016 against FBS OOC opponents GT is 3-21 over the last 11 years outside of those 2 years with a game against UGA remaining. This does not include the 2020 loss to ND as that is considered a conference game.

A little schedule digging also reveals the following.
We are currently on a 11 game losing streak against FBS OOC opponents.
The last win over a FBS OOC opponent was a 14-10 win over South Florida on Sep 7, 2019. Of course, that was immediately offset by losing to The Citadel and Temple in the next 2 games.
The next most recent FBS OOC win is over Bowling Green on Sep 29, 2018.
Our last win over a FBS P5 OOC opponent is a 28-16 win against Kentucky in the Gator Bowl on Dec 31, 2016. The last regular season win over a FBS OOC opponent is against UGA 28-27 on Nov 26, 2016.
Our last home win over a FBS P5 OOC opponent is a 38-7 win over Vandy on Sep 17, 2016.