Votes: 57 42.5%
  • 8 Wins

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • 9 wins

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If the OL doesn't block any better for Pyron (I'm assuming King is out again) than they did last saturday then the results will be the same. Jeff needs more time with a cleaner pocket than King. King can more easily improvise his way out of OL breakdowns.
"OL breakdowns"? Is that what the cool kids these days call the quarterback running for his life or is it preferable to say the "Chuck and Duck"?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
VT is a tough away game regardless of the QB and MLB starters. Miami and Georgia are almost certain losses. You can bet that Miami will put hits on King at every opportunity to try to aggravate his injury. So will NC State. If King gets hurt again or if his timing and decision-making are off, that bowl game will be in jeopardy.
If we don't beat either Virginia Tech or NC State, that bowl game will be a lost cause. IIWII

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
VT got up 28-0 on BC. The Tuten kid at running back is good, really good.
We're not very good at pass D and Ward is doing things through the air no Canes QB has ever done. That is a bad, bad matchup.
If we get the Georgia D line that played against Texas, and not the one that played against Mississippi State, that might be a long night.
N.C. State went out to the west coast and came back against a pretty solid Cal D.
Our margin for error is very, very slim, no matter the FBS opponent. At least there is one. For about three plus years, there wasn't any.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If the OL doesn't block any better for Pyron (I'm assuming King is out again) than they did last saturday then the results will be the same. Jeff needs more time with a cleaner pocket than King. King can more easily improvise his way out of OL breakdowns.
Philo maybe our best option as a scrambler.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Philo maybe our best option as a scrambler.
We’re not playing ND this Saturday, so that’s a start. Again, not to be redundant, how our OL performs is partially dependent on the guy across from him. The VPI DL may be pretty good buy they are not ND. They are tied for 99th in rushing D, whereas ND is 30th.

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It is very difficult to go undefeated. Miami has 2 home games (FSU and Duke) before traveling to play at Bobby Dodd. They will likely be 9-0 having cheated death a couple of times already. I like our chances at ruining their perfect season. We won't be favored... but college football.

Having said that... I think 3-1 is possible. I'd be thrilled with that. The only 2 scenarios that just don't seem possible are 0-4 and 4-0. I consider 4-0 more likely than 0-4... for what that's worth. :)

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It is very difficult to go undefeated. Miami has 2 home games (FSU and Duke) before traveling to play at Bobby Dodd. They will likely be 9-0 having cheated death a couple of times already. I like our chances at ruining their perfect season. We won't be favored... but college football.

Having said that... I think 3-1 is possible. I'd be thrilled with that. The only 2 scenarios that just don't seem possible are 0-4 and 4-0. I consider 4-0 more likely than 0-4... for what that's worth. :)
Miami would need to melt down for us to win. They simply score way too many points as compared to GT. They give up points but their offense is really good. Our defense is average at best. We need to score in the mid 40s to have a shot against them.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
ZP took 2-3 shots to his non-throwing shoulder or side. He was clearly in pain yet kept playing… hence this tough dude thread.

Glad to hear he’s OK. My fear was a reinjury to his clavicle.
He has got to roll away from falling on his shoulder when those big linemen fall on him. A recipe for another collar bone injury.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know, but at least the poster knows how to spell the name, Jeff, correctly.
Winning Team Usa GIF by All Better

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
Right now, this feels like a 6-6 season. If we go to Blacksburg and get the dub, we have a shot at 7 wins. If we roll up to Blacksburg and play like we did at the Benz, there's no way we win. If the special teams don't improve drastically, we will be lucky to get another win.

IMHO, I don't think we stand much of a chance vs Miami. We have a better shot at UGA, and even that's a longshot. NCSt is the most winnable game left on the schedule, but again, the special teams has to improve.

After saying all this, I want to be clear - I'm not gloomy about 6-6. I have seen some progression with the program and I believe Brent Key is the right guy. Santucci has shown me enough that I'm still cautiously optimistic about the future of our D. I'd like to see Buster show a little more aggression - seems like the offense has become less aggressive - fewer big plays, but fewer turnovers.

Given the schedule and preseason predictions, we are exactly where we thought we'd be. But, given the way things have played out, there's a cloud of disappointment over this fanbase because of what folks feel this season could have been. I'm not sure if it's reasonable to feel that way, but I'm choosing to hold onto the positives I see. Coach Key, J Batt, and Dr. Cabrera have injected new life into this program and things are trending in the right direction. Get your butts to the stadium - show up and support the team - buy tickets, donate to the Tech Way and AT Fund, do your part...

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think two things are limiting CBF right now: 1) a really tight OL, and 2) WR’s who run great routes. You could even list a 3) a big, powerful short yardage RB.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Right now, this feels like a 6-6 season. If we go to Blacksburg and get the dub, we have a shot at 7 wins. If we roll up to Blacksburg and play like we did at the Benz, there's no way we win. If the special teams don't improve drastically, we will be lucky to get another win.

IMHO, I don't think we stand much of a chance vs Miami. We have a better shot at UGA, and even that's a longshot. NCSt is the most winnable game left on the schedule, but again, the special teams has to improve.

After saying all this, I want to be clear - I'm not gloomy about 6-6. I have seen some progression with the program and I believe Brent Key is the right guy. Santucci has shown me enough that I'm still cautiously optimistic about the future of our D. I'd like to see Buster show a little more aggression - seems like the offense has become less aggressive - fewer big plays, but fewer turnovers.

Given the schedule and preseason predictions, we are exactly where we thought we'd be. But, given the way things have played out, there's a cloud of disappointment over this fanbase because of what folks feel this season could have been. I'm not sure if it's reasonable to feel that way, but I'm choosing to hold onto the positives I see. Coach Key, J Batt, and Dr. Cabrera have injected new life into this program and things are trending in the right direction. Get your butts to the stadium - show up and support the team - buy tickets, donate to the Tech Way and AT Fund, do your part...
Agree. The FSU win raised our expectations. Now we know it was fool’s gold, and we have settled back to realistic outcomes. But starting the season that high and landing where we are now has been a disappointment for many.

Swap the FSU and ‘Cuse W/L, and many would have said we are right on track.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The F$U win did jack expectations. The S’cuse loss was a dash of cold water to the face. The Louisville and ND losses are not remarkable. We are what most of us expected to be: a 6-6/7-5 team.