Where did this guy go?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
As I posted in the Jordan thread.. I think stamina and endurance played a big role in his running this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As I posted in the Jordan thread.. I think stamina and endurance played a big role in his running this year.
And getting wacked hard made him a little gun shy, imo.

That's a 6'3" 205 lb cornerback, not a LB or safety. Btw, Summers completely whiffed on the block that allowed that slobberknocker.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is hard to say, but there is no doubt there was a change. My advice to Vad: forget about Whitfield and spend your summer at a sprint, explosion, and conditioning camp instead. That will carry him a lot further in this offense. He needs to get his wheels back and improve his conditioning to the point he could go all day toting the rock.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It is hard to say, but there is no doubt there was a change. My advice to Vad: forget about Whitfield and spend your summer at a sprint, explosion, and conditioning camp instead. That will carry him a lot further in this offense. He needs to get his wheels back and improve his conditioning to the point he could go all day toting the rock.

I really suspect that "this offense" is part of the problem for Vad since I'm really not sure that he's bought in. After re-watching the clemmins and georgie games, I just shake my head. The kid's got heart and tenacity, but his option reads were horrible. Go back and watch that play against CU where Days slipped. When I watched it doing my game analysis, I focused on the "live" play and knew that he missed the read. But, they show an overhead replay afterwards and Sims goes untouched for 30 yards looking to block a deep safety. If Vad makes the read and gives to the dive, it's almost certainly a score. We saw the same sort of bad reads on the triple against the dwags. And I'm pretty sure we ran a midline against georgie, but rather than letting the mesh happen, pulling and hitting the gap left by the crashing tackle, Vad rushed it and ran into Sims and had to back up a half-step before hitting the gap. He got yardage but not as much as he probably would have with a well-executed play.

If anyone thinks that CPJ can't coach, this season should really shut them up, imo. We were able to muster a still fairly effective offense without being able to run our bread and butter reliably.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am a big Vad fan off the field and I was impressed with some of his athletic runs last year.

I do want someone who can run the TO and I hope the best TO person gets the starting job next year.

I am sure Paul will say he is picking the man who gives us the best chance at winning.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
(Rumor only.) Word on the street is that Lee played most of the season with nagging injuries that inhibited his ability to run with power.

Do not know if this is true or false. Just what I was told last 1/2 of the season. Some of you guys with contacts may be able to fish out the truth.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I would do as you suggest and work on his option pitch and footing...maybe he gets time to throw this year and can make the o go.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Let's see one 1st year QB with stats of 108/188 for 1342 yards 7 TDs 13 Ints 95 rushes for 245 yards and 3 TDs, total yards 1590 with 10 TDR

Second 1st year QB with 77/163 for 1414 yards 10 TDs 9 Ints 166 rushes for 489 and 8 TDs, total yards 1983 with 18 TDR

The 1st QB should be very familiar to Tech fans and the 2nd one is, of course, Vad. I'm not sitting here telling anybody than Vad is going to end his career with the same status with Tech fans as QB 1 but his overall performance ain't near as bad as a lot of folks would have you believe.

Running this offense as a starter ain't exactly the simplest thing a player can do. When you look at the QBs under CPJ it's rare to see a 2nd year player being handed the reins, iirc his Navy QBs that flourished were all jr or sr. I haven't gone back and looked at his Hawaii QBs but I'd be a bit surprised if there was a significant difference. Even at GaSouthern Tracy Ham didn't erupt as a QB until his RSjr year.

I feel the light started to come with Vad in the last few games of the season and I look for him to have a big season in '14 and '15.

Squanto

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe it has been the uniform. He seemed to have played better in that ugly stuff we wore last year.

In all seriousness though, Vad seemed to be limping alot on the sidelines. Is there a nagging injury?

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I also think he changed after that fumble vs uM.They told him,fumble and you come out possibly.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Sophmore Year
NAMECMPATTYDSCMP%YDS/ATDINTRAT
Vad Lee77163141447.28.68109129.3
Vad Lee1664892.9218

Tevin Senior Year
Tevin Washington75133122256.49.1984147.4
Tevin Washington1776843.96020
Junior Year
Tevin Washington74150165249.311.01118155.4
Tevin Washington2439874.15614

Junior Year
Joshua Nesbitt75162170146.310.50105148.7
Joshua Nesbitt27910373.739 (TD)18
Sophomore Year
Joshua Nesbitt5412380843.96.572596.3
Joshua Nesbitt1726934.0547

I'm not sure what you can read from this comparison other than Tevin was very underrated.
Vad's soph performance is better than Josh's even with one game remaining.
Josh also had the benefit of having Bey Bey & Dwyer to share the load on offense too.

I think Vad overall is having a decent year as a first year starter. It's not dynamic but this offense demands a lot out of it's QB's physically. I don't remember Tevin taking the punishment that Vad has seem to have taken, but he actually carried the ball a lot more than his first year as a starter.

Josh had a significant jump from year 1 to 2
Tevin had a significant drop from 1 to 2

A lot more of the offensive load was placed on Tevin and with Vad as well than with Josh. In conclusion I don't feel Vad has been put in the best position to succeed in many games as well. There have been some questionable play calling and often times his teammates haven't been there to come to his aid, ie OL, Bbacks, WR. I don't think Vad will have the same drop off that Tevin experienced, he should and will improve, but success can't be achieved with just Vad as a playmaker. He needs help from coaching, with line play, and with players in other skill positions.

Vad could use more coaching with Whitfield to work on his passing. He left a lot of points on the field with his throws as well. Like Boomer stated above however he does need to get with his strength and track coaches to work on his explosiveness and stamina as well.