When will we get our day?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Sixteen — 0.05% of 300 NCAA Division 1 baseball teams — make it to the Super Regionals.

The eight Super Regional winners that advance to the College World Series comprise only 0.02666667% of the total of 300 teams.

The final two that play for the College World Series national championship represent 0.0066666% of the total of 300 teams.

The winner is 0.00333333%.
What point are you trying to make? Are you saying that we should be happy with the 18 years of losing in the tournament, because there are many lesser programs than us in NCAA Division 1? Are we really going to compare ourselves to the bottom 200 teams that do not come close to our program in terms of history, funding, and resources? Our record in the tournament stinks over the past 18 years. You can rationalize it all you want, but that is a fact. I also do not give a crap about the bottom 200 programs in college baseball, some of which have won more Regionals than us in the past 18 years.

I posted this in another thread, but it is relevant to this discussion.

Since 2006....

We have been to 12 Regionals and are 0-12. We are the only team with that many CWS appearances without a Regional win. One other team has had 12 Regional losses (Oral Roberts), but they won one Regional and are 1-12. Three teams have 11 Regional losses, Oklahoma State (4-11), Coastal Carolina (3-11), and Dallas Baptist (2-11). Four teams have ten Regional losses, Da U (4-10), Clemson (4-10), Southern Miss (3-10), and Army (0-10). That means the team with the closest Regional winless streak to us is Army. Army! The next two after Army are Bethune Cookman and UNC Wilmington, both at 0-9 in Regionals. This is the company we keep; Army, Bethune Cookman and UNC Wilmington. Yeah!

We have hosted four Regionals since 2006 and are 0-4. Regional hosts win 67% of the time. No team that has hosted a Regional at least three times is winless. Well, no one but us. The next closest team without a Regional win as a host is Houston, who are 0-2 as a Regional host. Of course, they also won a Regional as a visitor, but that is another story.

Two of those years, we were national ranked. Nationally ranked Regional hosts win 75% of the time. Only one program that has been nationally ranked at least two times has never won a Regional. Yep, us.

The reality is if we were just an average tournament team we would have at least five Super Regional and at least two CWS appearances. We have zip, zero, zilch, nada nothing, a goose egg.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Sixteen — 0.05% of 300 NCAA Division 1 baseball teams — make it to the Super Regionals.

The eight Super Regional winners that advance to the College World Series comprise only 0.02666667% of the total of 300 teams.

The final two that play for the College World Series national championship represent 0.0066666% of the total of 300 teams.

The winner is 0.00333333%.
All of your percentages are off by 100x, champ.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
My view is that the Auburn walk-off in 2019 regional broke the program. It was a crushing moment. Couple that with the cancelation of the 2020 season, unable to redeem ourselves, ijust nose dived us and CDH hasn't been able to get us out of the tail spin.

And can some of the season ticket holders answer why student support is so seemingly low? Never understood how a stadium in the Greek Village never seems to have a large student presence.

CDH has made us a stable program, and i for one and grateful. But I hope 2025 is his ride off into retirement season. Maybe the team will pull a Birmingham Southern style run for the ole coach.
You have to have something to draw the students otherwise they will not come. There’s zero excitement around our program. There won’t be any next year either if we stand pat.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
You have to have something to draw the students otherwise they will not come. There’s zero excitement around our program. There won’t be any next year either if we stand pat.
Agreed. Even Drew Burress, potential #1 draft pick can’t get fans in. The marketing team is doing there best with gate give aways, unfortunately our culture sucks and culture means everything

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Even Drew Burress, potential #1 draft pick can’t get fans in. The marketing team is doing there best with gate give aways, unfortunately our culture sucks and culture means everything
I think you mean our record sucks.

Personally I cannot stand watching poor pitching. That feeling that we are going to lose even when ahead by 5 runs in the 6th inning sucks the joy out of the game for me. Just as I have general confidence that the Braves will win, with GT I have general confidence that we will lose. It is not fun to hsve that feeling and causes me to stop attending games also.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone conducted a study or survey of the student body? Are the students matriculating at the Institute just not interested in athletics (generally). At least not enough to really invest time & energy above other priorities & interests.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Agree 100%. Spend the $500K it would cost to fire him to buy some pitchers and build some momentum going into Ramsay’s first year.
You don’t fire a future GT HoF manager or head coach. It is just hugely bad form, and it speaks volumes to any future manager/coach we try to hire for a good while afterwards. Guys like that get to retire on their own terms. All you can do is hope he is not the type to hang on beyond all reason.

Just my $.02 worth.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think you mean our record sucks.

Personally I cannot stand watching poor pitching. That feeling that we are going to lose even when ahead by 5 runs in the 6th inning sucks the joy out of the game for me. Just as I have general confidence that the Braves will win, with GT I have general confidence that we will lose. It is not fun to hsve that feeling and causes me to stop attending games also.
You are right. However what bothers me the most is the absolute inability to fix a problem that has been there seemingly forever. I know Coach Hall sees the same problem as we do. However he is unable to fix it and he has certainly had enough time to do so. If it was a problem over the last year or two or three we might all feel differently about what and who we are as a program.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You are right. However what bothers me the most is the absolute inability to fix a problem that has been there seemingly forever. I know Coach Hall sees the same problem as we do. However he is unable to fix it and he has certainly had enough time to do so. If it was a problem over the last year or two or three we might all feel differently about what and who we are as a program.
You are 100% correct, I agree.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
GT and CDH is a two way transaction. Sure, he’s coached for us a long time and had some good seasons. We also pay him half a million a year and have given him unparalleled job security. He’s the active wins leader solely because of that last fact. We’ve done just as much for him as he has for us.

FSU fired Bobby Bowden in 2009, and he literally built that program from the ground up. And they won 3 ACC titles and a natty within the next 5 years. Sometimes you have to let people go. It’s just business. It doesn’t invalidate anything they’ve done before.

Life is too short to let mediocrity linger. Every year is someone’s last GT baseball season. I’d like to see us win a regional before I die. It’s an absolute scandal it’s been 18 years.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Bowden is a completely different situation. They had hired Jimbo Fisher as his replacement and made him the HC in waiting. However, Bowden refused to retire even as he approached 80 years old. The Noles were going to lose Fisher if they didn’t make good on the deal. Bowden overplayed his hand and didn’t give FSU any other option. I’d like to see CDH gracefully retire, but he might push it past reality and end up fired. That was the intent of my last sentence.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Bowden is a completely different situation. They had hired Jimbo Fisher as his replacement and made him the HC in waiting. However, Bowden refused to retire even as he approached 80 years old. The Noles were going to lose Fisher if they didn’t make good on the deal. Bowden overplayed his hand and didn’t give FSU any other option. I’d like to see CDH gracefully retire, but he might push it past reality and end up fired. That was the intent of my last sentence.
Surely Batt and Hall talk. I will be shocked if a deal has not been worked out that all can be happy with.