When will we get our day?

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Bottom line: When we get 2-3 outstanding pitchers no matter who the coach is or how we get them.
We’ve had some good pitching since 2006. 2011 featured Buck Farmer, Pope, Jed Bradley (I thought he was okay at the time but he’s worlds above anything we have this year). And from the pen, Luke Bard and Dusty Isaacs. We had a 2.77 ERA as a team.

We still lost our own regional.

In the postseason, Danny Hall teams just find a way to lose.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Including a bona fide closer, which if we had this year we would be still playing today. The 9th hitter for UGA tied the game in the ninth inning with a homer.
Couldn't help but think in the 9th, boy, it would have been nice if the Busse of last year could've come in for that situation.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I don't have an ironclad bar. I would say, roughly, we should be able to get out of a regional like 3 outta 10 years. Just a ballpark take.
I believe Tech is a destination job. With the consistent talent we get just in our own backyard 3 out of 10 is still very generous. Our recruiting classes in baseball over the last 18 years look like Ohio States football recruiting classes. It’s rather mind boggling a man can win so many games but never win a meaningful one going on 20 years.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Including a bona fide closer, which if we had this year we would be still playing today. The 9th hitter for UGA tied the game in the ninth inning with a homer.
I just can't understand why we didn't go with Dawson Brown. I know he pitched in the first game but he was ready and came into the game anyways last night to get it to the bottom of the 9th. If he was ready and there, why not use him?? That's the one that really gets me.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I understand the frustration, but Coach Hall deserves a nice retirement celebration and our respect for all he has done for GT. But, I agree it is time to find a new coach to lead the program.
What about what all GT has done for him? People always use those semantics, but the reality is GT has done more for Hall than what Hall has done for GT. GT provided Hall a very nice paycheck and job stability in a profession with very little job security. What has Hall done for GT that 4-5 other coaches, if given the opportunity over the past 30 years, wouldn’t have done? If Hall would have been at any other ACC or SEC program he would have been gone a decade and a half ago.

If he leaves on his own accord then fine, throw him a party and give him his lifetime achievement award. If he doesn’t then let him go regardless of what Tex thinks. GT has to stop being dictated too and start doing what needs to be done. Tex and others will get over it because they aren’t stupid people and know we’ve been standing still for at least 15 years.

The simple indictment is UGA hired an outsider coach who in year 1 out recruited the legend at GT and led his team to the Super Regionals. If you are going to keep a coach for 30 years he should have the state locked down. Instead, we get the leftovers and get lucky every few years with a guy like Parada or Burress.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is a great question. I assume it's been covered for the other sports... namely basketball and football. ...and I think its come up on this forum over the years too.

I cannot really quantify it; but I just don't believe Ga Tech is positioned NIL, ... money, in general... to compete with the elites in any of the big 3 sports... including baseball.

Danny Hall arrived over 30 years ago... and college baseball has changed so much in that time. When attributing/mapping accountability to results, it is difficult for me to know exactly how much goes on Hall and how much is stuff out of his control (admin not fully bought in, changing baseball landscape, etc). A lot goes on Hall.. for sure. He's the head coach.

I am ready for a new head coach. I'm not going to stand on a table and demand Hall be fired or run out of town. I just don't believe any alternative now or 15 years ago would have had any more truly measurable success. Easy to speculate; but impossible to know.

I am empathetic to those who have been waiting for 10-15 years for Hall to be gone and have continued to support the program. Your frustration is obvious and not unfounded. In hindsight, those who assessed we'd never see post-season success for nearly 20 years... credit to you for seeing the warts well before I did.

Back to the question about definition of success. I do not expect Ga Tech to compete with the elites in any sport. Perhaps JBatt and Cabrera have some huge plan to jump up into that upper tier of D1 athletics. I'll believe that as it develops.. but not before. That said... re baseball, already said I can't quantify it; but here goes anyway. Ga Tech should still manage to be:

Top 3rd of the ACC consistently (over .500)
Compete for ACC titles consistently
Make post-season consistently
Host Regionals (33% of the time)
Win Regionals (25% of the time)
CWS (more often than never... but moons would have to align)
Thank you for this.

Time is such a strange taskmaster as I get older. My expectation is that Tech should be competitive but then I realize that two of my favorite Tech players (Nomar and Jason) have been long retired from the Red Sox, that the team I was thought was a season or two away from returning to World Series level of play has sunk to irrelevance, and that, truthfully, I no longer really follow the team. Seems like yesterday but oh so long ago.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thank you for this.

Time is such a strange taskmaster as I get older. My expectation is that Tech should be competitive but then I realize that two of my favorite Tech players (Nomar and Jason) have been long retired from the Red Sox, that the team I was thought was a season or two away from returning to World Series level of play has sunk to irrelevance, and that, truthfully, I no longer really follow the team. Seems like yesterday but oh so long ago.
I don’t follow the sport but GT baseball is boring in the same manner that GT football was under Gailey. You always knew what was going to happen. IIRC, Gailey and CPJ won at about the same rate. But I will take higher highs with lower lows and most Tech fans feel similarly given the response Gailey received at the end. You know in February that Tech will make a regional. You also know that is where it will unravel. There is no suspense or excitement about the program.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What about what all GT has done for him? People always use those semantics, but the reality is GT has done more for Hall than what Hall has done for GT. GT provided Hall a very nice paycheck and job stability in a profession with very little job security. What has Hall done for GT that 4-5 other coaches, if given the opportunity over the past 30 years, wouldn’t have done? If Hall would have been at any other ACC or SEC program he would have been gone a decade and a half ago.

If he leaves on his own accord then fine, throw him a party and give him his lifetime achievement award. If he doesn’t then let him go regardless of what Tex thinks. GT has to stop being dictated too and start doing what needs to be done. Tex and others will get over it because they aren’t stupid people and know we’ve been standing still for at least 15 years.

The simple indictment is UGA hired an outsider coach who in year 1 out recruited the legend at GT and led his team to the Super Regionals. If you are going to keep a coach for 30 years he should have the state locked down. Instead, we get the leftovers and get lucky every few years with a guy like Parada or Burress.
This is quote from Chad Bishops column today:

"Even with Tech’s disappointing streak of failing to advance to a Super Regional living on for another year, it should be noted that Hall (now with 1,411 career wins over 37 seasons as a college coach), an American Baseball Coaches Association hall of famer, has led the Jackets to 23 NCAA Tournament appearances — Tech had been to nine regionals before Hall’s arrival in 1994. Hall needs just 17 wins in 2025 to enter the top 10 for all-time coaching wins in Division I."

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

"Even with Tech’s disappointing streak of failing to advance to a Super Regional living on for another year, it should be noted that Hall (now with 1,411 career wins over 37 seasons as a college coach), an American Baseball Coaches Association hall of famer, has led the Jackets to 23 NCAA Tournament appearances — Tech had been to nine regionals before Hall’s arrival in 1994. Hall needs just 17 wins in 2025 to enter the top 10 for all-time coaching wins in Division I."
And his greatest achievement is keeping a job for 37 years because he is a good guy and he hasn't completely destroyed the program and the money man of the program likes him. And rivals get to laugh at his legacy.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Because we feast on bad teams. Look at our non-conference weekend series:

3x Radford (16-34 RPI 256)
3x Cornell (17-24 RPI 212)
3x Georgia (42-15, RPI 5, essentially went 0-3)
4x Youngstown State (16-44, RPI 285)

In the past 3 years, we are 31-2 against Q4 teams, but 68-74 against everyone else. The schedule is designed to give CDH the most number of wins without having to field a very good team.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
And his greatest achievement is keeping a job for 37 years because he is a good guy and he hasn't completely destroyed the program and the money man of the program likes him. And rivals get to laugh at his legacy.
I think his rivals embellish his legacy to keep an easy out.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No, you don't. In the past 10 complete seasons (2014-19, 2021-24), we have made a regional 60% of the time.
This speaks to the degree of which I follow things. I was unaware of this. My lack of knowledge is why I mostly refrain from posting down here.