When Was The Last Time You Had Fun Watching A Tech Game?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I’d like to know. I’d have to say the last truly fun season was 2016. The years after felt like we were stuck in the mud. I remember CPJ looking like he was checked out during games. Pressers were more bleak than usual.

And well the past 3.3 seasons with our current coach…nothing needs to be said.

I have said this several times, and all of us Tech fans HAVE to want this…I just want to have fun again. I can’t even bring myself to listen to football podcasts or watch other teams play. I just get bummed and reminded how far we are from what we want to see. That’s it.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
UNC game last year. Had no expectation to win and was shocked at how well we played. Told my family that was the best time I'd had at a Tech game since around 2018 or so when we were basically competitive in most games. Since then, I've had little to no hope of winning hardly any game I've attended.

GTweatherguy

Georgia Tech Fan
UNC game last year. Had no expectation to win and was shocked at how well we played. Told my family that was the best time I'd had at a Tech game since around 2018 or so when we were basically competitive in most games. Since then, I've had little to no hope of winning hardly any game I've attended.
Same here

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
UVA game in 2018 turned out to be pretty exciting. Very low attendance though. I’d agree that 2016 was the last fun season…amazing actually. Regular season started in Dublin, Ireland and ended by beating the mutts in their backyard. Was this the year that we also whipped up on Kentucky in the bowl game?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
UVA game in 2018 turned out to be pretty exciting. Very low attendance though. I’d agree that 2016 was the last fun season…amazing actually. Regular season started in Dublin, Ireland and ended by beating the mutts in their backyard. Was this the year that we also whipped up on Kentucky in the bowl game?

That was a COLD game...

The Shining GIF

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
That was a COLD game...

The Shining GIF
I believe you’re thinking of the 2018 Miami game when it was cold. The UVA game was reasonably comfortable. But Miami was supposed to be a whiteout but a lot of people ended up wearing navy or other colored hoodies and pullovers because it was so cold and it kind of ruined the whiteout effect. That was the last time I had a really good time watching GT football though. A really good, 80% pro-Tech crowd nearing 50k folks I believe. Quite possibly the last time that ever happens at BDS.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I believe you’re thinking of the 2018 Miami game when it was cold. The UVA game was reasonably comfortable. But Miami was supposed to be a whiteout but a lot of people ended up wearing navy or other colored hoodies and pullovers because it was so cold and it kind of ruined the whiteout effect. That was the last time I had a really good time watching GT football though. A really good, 80% pro-Tech crowd nearing 50k folks I believe. Quite possibly the last time that ever happens at BDS.

You are right. It was a UVA game but it wasn't 2018, it was 2014. I remember it snowed that morning in Augusta before I left to take my son to the game.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Citadel 2019 was fun…

For my wife. It was her first college game experience ever. She had a blast. I was miserable.

Her innocence and ignorance to the situation made me envious lol

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
2018 UVa was a fun game, and maybe the last fun game.
Great game all the way through. Great dramatic ending.
We were playing pretty good football at the point in the season. I think we were out of gas going into Georgia, which didn't help.
But I also remember when Georgia hated seeing us on the schedule. They don't anymore.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I had fun at the UNC game last year. I thought during that game that maybe the Collins era had turned the corner.

Before that, even though the season was mediocre, there were several really good games in 2018. Louisville and VT come to mind.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
2018 VT stands out. Always loved watching PJ spam one play for 8+ yards and seeing a defense want to claw their eyes out.
I do miss the games where the opposing team was helpless. CPJ put on a clinic several times. Definitely fun to watch when things were rolling

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Last really fun time was 2018 UVA for me. Last fun full season was 2016. There were fun moments in 2018. Wasn’t that the year we steamrolled Louisville?

I suppose there is some bias against the current regime, but it’s hard to grasp on to the positive’s felt at the time during last year’s UNC game or the Miami game a few years ago. At least some of those fun 2018 games were a part of a winning season, even if it wasn’t a particularly great year.

I think the last time I had true optimism was the NC State win at the end of the season during 2019. It was the end of Collins’ first year and we were playing a team that was “on our level”. It felt like a fair, legitimate measuring stick for how much we’d improved that year. Unfortunately, that was not quite the case.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Last really fun time was 2018 UVA for me. Last fun full season was 2016. There were fun moments in 2018. Wasn’t that the year we steamrolled Louisville?

I suppose there is some bias against the current regime, but it’s hard to grasp on to the positive’s felt at the time during last year’s UNC game or the Miami game a few years ago. At least some of those fun 2018 games were a part of a winning season, even if it wasn’t a particularly great year.

I think the last time I had true optimism was the NC State win at the end of the season during 2019. It was the end of Collins’ first year and we were playing a team that was “on our level”. It felt like a fair, legitimate measuring stick for how much we’d improved that year. Unfortunately, that was not quite the case.
The bad definitely outweighs the good. I can’t even name all the wins under Collins and the list isn’t long to memorize lol

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Yes, I drove up to the Louisville game. I think we won 66-31 and it wasn’t really that close. That was fun!

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I drove up to the Louisville game. I think we won 66-31 and it wasn’t really that close. That was fun!

If I remember correctly, CPJ had some extra revenge in there, too. BVG was the DC for Louisville that year, unless I’m mistaken. Fun stuff.

I remember us scoring 10 points in like 10 seconds against UVA in 2018. Safety, returned the kick for a TD and converted a 2-point conversion. It was also the first game I took my current girlfriend to. I remember telling her that kind of stuff doesn’t usually happen. Ha.