When does Pastner feel heat

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I do not know what you mean by "taking flyers."

Brian Gregory was a huge disappointment at GT, but he came to us with a 172-94 record and four consecutive post season trips. I do not think anyone at the AA considered that a flyer. There is risk associated with every hire. Some greater than others, but this did not seem like a huge risk at the time. Granted, people on the Swarm had differing opinions and the detractors were certainly more correct then not.

Josh Pastner had a 167-73 record at Memphis. Granted, things had cooled in his last two years, but a lot of people were pretty excited about hiring him as our new head coach.

So, let's look back at Paul Hewitt. He was 66-27 in three seasons at Siena. Was that a flyer? Or, Bobby Cremins, who was 100-70 at App State.

I am not sure what our choices were when we hired Geoff Collins, but he has also been successful at Temple. We are not likely to poach a head coach from a perennial P6 NCAA Tournament team, so there is going to a bit of risk with everyone candidate we interview. I hope our decision makers weigh that risk/reward ration carefully,, because it willl always be the toughest part of every hire we consider.
You make good points. My only quibble is when you describe Collins as having been successful at Temple. He inherited a program in very good shape which had gone 20-8 in its previous 2 years under Matt Ruhle. Collins then went 15-10 in his brief stint. That wasn't enough to dub him as successful, imho.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We would probably have to go winless the rest of the way for us to fire Pastner this year. He is only a few years removed from winning the ACC Championship and, unlike TFG, has some success to at least give ADJB some hope he can turn it around. I imagine there will be a conversation at the end of the year to discuss what they both believe to be required to make the program successful. I would imagine more money for assistants and support staff similar to what Key now has for football are in order. After that, if we do not see improvement next year, I imagine J will then make a change. Just one idiot's opinion.

I think that you are dead-on. We need more money for staff, and we need some NIL money. Supposedly the latter is already happening.

Many people call it an excuse, but this program has been on welfare for some time. Josh tried hiring Charlton Young and Jonas Hayes and got shot down each time.

For those that may not be aware, here is a quick look at how our assistant salary pool stacks up against a familiar name:

Charlton Young - Recently hired at Missouri - Salary = $600,000/year (read that their total pool was $900K - $1M)

Anthony Wilkins - Georgia Tech -Salary = $240,000/year
Julian Swartz - Georgia Tech - Salary = $168,000/year
Brian Eskildsen - Georgia Tech - Salary = ?

Unless Eski makes more than $190K/year, Charlton Young makes more than all our assistants combined.

(Note: Not sure of the accuracy of these numbers as this is what was available online.)

dtm painted the picture for everyone for the type of investment that is needed to really move the needle.

This may lend some credence to that figure.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You make good points. My only quibble is when you describe Collins as having been successful at Temple. He inherited a program in very good shape which had gone 20-8 in its previous 2 years under Matt Ruhle. Collins then went 15-10 in his brief stint. That wasn't enough to dub him as successful, imho.
I agree with you about Colins, and that is where I simply have to scratch my head and wonder. Could it have been that no one wanted to tackle the transition from the TO to a more pro style offense and have to deal with a roster built around something that was simply not going to work for most coaches? I loved Paul Johnson, but the timing of his retirement and the roster status left us in a lurch.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I do not know what you mean by "taking flyers."

Brian Gregory was a huge disappointment at GT, but he came to us with a 172-94 record and four consecutive post season trips. I do not think anyone at the AA considered that a flyer. There is risk associated with every hire. Some greater than others, but this did not seem like a huge risk at the time. Granted, people on the Swarm had differing opinions and the detractors were certainly more correct then not.

Josh Pastner had a 167-73 record at Memphis. Granted, things had cooled in his last two years, but a lot of people were pretty excited about hiring him as our new head coach.

So, let's look back at Paul Hewitt. He was 66-27 in three seasons at Siena. Was that a flyer? Or, Bobby Cremins, who was 100-70 at App State.

I am not sure what our choices were when we hired Geoff Collins, but he has also been successful at Temple. We are not likely to poach a head coach from a perennial P6 NCAA Tournament team, so there is going to a bit of risk with everyone candidate we interview. I hope our decision makers weigh that risk/reward ration carefully,, because it willl always be the toughest part of every hire we consider.
What I mean by a flyer is there was no real reason to believe any of them would have success

Gregory was barely a .500 coach in conference in the A10 and Dayton got worse after his initial year with inherited players. Dayton fans were happy to see him go, and the biggest argument for him having success here was he learned under Izzo. It's never a good thing when that is the biggest selling point (kind of like Key coaching under Saban). He wasn't a risk hire. He was just pretty much a guaranteed dud. This was by far the worst of the three hires fwiw because I don't even really see a hire based on hope. He was a hire based on not being Hewitt.

Pastner was again someone Memphis was happy to see go and even helped foot the bill. Now in this case it was a better risk for two reasons. One the financials were favorable, and there was a very real chance the issues he had at Memphis were more issues with Memphis than him. Living in memphis I know that side of things fairly well. Considering the situation it was a good calculated risk but it was still a hire made on hoping that he would have success instead of any real solid proof of it. He, like Gregory and Collins, did worse than the guy who came before him as well.

I don't blame the AD for hiring Collins. I think it was pretty much guaranteed when we hired Johnson that if we ever went away from the option we'd basically have a sacrificial lamb to eat the transition which pretty much meant a bad hire and a bad performance. But he had two years of experience as HC and those two were worse than the years before he was hired. He was hired on the hope that he could improve the roster via recruiting (which would also be helpful even in the likely event that he doesn't get it done)

Yes, Hewitt wasn't a flyer. He was a 5 year assistant at Nova in the early 90s when they were good (and ironically he was the assistant that left that sparked the downfall of the coach there), then went and built Sienna up in a very impressive stint. Cremins was similar taking a program which averaged slightly over 4 wins per year the 5 years prior and finished 1st in conference 3 of 4 years. Neither of them were flyers, both had more proven success than any of the other 3 mentioned, or Key, and as it turns out they were also the two most successful by a long shot. In football you can see it with hiring Johnson as well.

It's a obvious as a brick to the face. We need to stop with cheapness and stop hiring on hope. We could have done that in football with any of BoB, Chadwell, or Fritz and we messed that up to go cheap. If we make a change in basketball it should absolutely be to someone that has a proven record to some extent. Not a second year HC without any real notable success.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What I mean by a flyer is there was no real reason to believe any of them would have success
By your definition none were flyers. If you want to say the decision to accept the risk associated with hiring these coaces turned out to be a bad decision, then we can agree. But, there were people who had more at stake than you who thought it was worth whatever risk. It is easy to look backward and see the results, but it was not obvious before the decision was made.

You & I are not likely to agree on this point.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
By your definition none were flyers. If you want to say the decision to accept the risk associated with hiring these coaces turned out to be a bad decision, then we can agree. But, there were people who had more at stake than you who thought it was worth whatever risk. It is easy to look backward and see the results, but it was not obvious before the decision was made.

You & I are not likely to agree on this point.
My memory of the Gregory hire was that it was thought he would stabilize the program and keep it from further collapsing. But I did not know anyone who thought it was a potential home run hire. Unexciting hire that landed with a thud.

The Collins hire seemed like a long shot at best and I remember trying hard to be patient with those who thought we were hiring a diamond in the rough.

The Pastner hire seemed like it had solid reasoning behind it, unlike the two previously mentioned hires, and I was excited about it. I did not see this collapse coming whereas the results of the other hires seemed predictable.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I think that you are dead-on. We need more money for staff, and we need some NIL money. Supposedly the latter is already happening.

Many people call it an excuse, but this program has been on welfare for some time. Josh tried hiring Charlton Young and Jonas Hayes and got shot down each time.

For those that may not be aware, here is a quick look at how our assistant salary pool stacks up against a familiar name:

Charlton Young - Recently hired at Missouri - Salary = $600,000/year (read that their total pool was $900K - $1M)

Anthony Wilkins - Georgia Tech -Salary = $240,000/year
Julian Swartz - Georgia Tech - Salary = $168,000/year
Brian Eskildsen - Georgia Tech - Salary = ?

Unless Eski makes more than $190K/year, Charlton Young makes more than all our assistants combined.

(Note: Not sure of the accuracy of these numbers as this is what was available online.)

dtm painted the picture for everyone for the type of investment that is needed to really move the needle.

This may lend some credence to that figure.

It is absurd that we pay our assistants so little and speaks directly to why our program has neither recruited well nor has been well coached.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Analogy:
Wife goes to the store and buys tofu for dinner. When she arrives at home, husband inquires about the purchase and adds he was hoping for steak. Wife replies, "I bought what we can afford and steak is too expensive."

I might add, "We are eating tofu at more meals than we like, but steak is still too expensive."

yellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan

Gregory was barely a .500 coach in conference in the A10 and Dayton got worse after his initial year with inherited players. Dayton fans were happy to see him go, and the biggest argument for him having success here was he learned under Izzo. It's never a good thing when that is the biggest selling point (kind of like Key coaching under Saban). He wasn't a risk hire. He was just pretty much a guaranteed dud. This was by far the worst of the three hires fwiw because I don't even really see a hire based on hope. He was a hire based on not being Hewitt.

Pastner was again someone Memphis was happy to see go and even helped foot the bill. Now in this case it was a better risk for two reasons. One the financials were favorable, and there was a very real chance the issues he had at Memphis were more issues with Memphis than him. Living in memphis I know that side of things fairly well. Considering the situation it was a good calculated risk but it was still a hire made on hoping that he would have success instead of any real solid proof of it. He, like Gregory and Collins, did worse than the guy who came before him as well.

I don't blame the AD for hiring Collins. I think it was pretty much guaranteed when we hired Johnson that if we ever went away from the option we'd basically have a sacrificial lamb to eat the transition which pretty much meant a bad hire and a bad performance. But he had two years of experience as HC and those two were worse than the years before he was hired. He was hired on the hope that he could improve the roster via recruiting (which would also be helpful even in the likely event that he doesn't get it done)

Yes, Hewitt wasn't a flyer. He was a 5 year assistant at Nova in the early 90s when they were good (and ironically he was the assistant that left that sparked the downfall of the coach there), then went and built Sienna up in a very impressive stint. Cremins was similar taking a program which averaged slightly over 4 wins per year the 5 years prior and finished 1st in conference 3 of 4 years. Neither of them were flyers, both had more proven success than any of the other 3 mentioned, or Key, and as it turns out they were also the two most successful by a long shot. In football you can see it with hiring Johnson as well.

It's an obvious as a brick to the face. We need to stop with cheapness and stop hiring on hope. We could have done that in football with any of BoB, Chadwell, or Fritz and we messed that up to go cheap. If we make a change in basketball it should absolutely be to someone that has a proven record to some extent. Not a second year HC without any real notable success.
You think Key is a bad hire?

slugboy

Staff member
We are 146 on Sagarin. So, all the schools above us have better resources.
Here we are in Haslametrics: https://haslametrics.com/ratings2.php?yr=&tid=141. We’re 13 out of 15 in the ACC, and #195 overall in that rating. We’ve been generally trending down all season this year (instead of getting better). Teams like FAU and Dayton are way ahead of us. So are Furman, JMU, and Hawaii.

We’re 147 in kenpom so far this season, about even with Kennesaw State.

I would read some sarcasm in whether the schools above us have better resources, but it’s likely that the Vermonts of the world are putting more emphasis on their basketball team than we are.

Clemson and some other schools do that too—they put more funding into their football programs and are parsimonious with their basketball. Until lately, that has worked out for Clemson football, but not for our football team.

This is a really bad season for us because we’re performing worse as the season progresses, and it’s not because key players are out due to injury. (that’s the trend that you can see in Haslametrics, and it agrees with my impression that at the very least we’re not getting stronger as the season goes on).

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Pastner doesn't feel the heat, because he is gone and he knows it. He is probably surprised he hasn't been let go already, but he knows cheap Tech can't. When people are coming to the end of a job cycle, at first they feel the heat, but then it's acceptance and embracing of the finality of what is to come.

That is what I see when I watch the post-pressers. It's a guy who knows this is over. The real question now is if GT is going to be able to raise enough money to go out and get a proven head coach. The other thing I am waiting on is to see if they have the guts to do it sooner rather than later. The longer this drags on, the more games we will lose and the little fanfare that is committed to GT basketball will get even less.

The only other reason for letting him stay on would be recruiting, but are we really afraid of losing Blue Cain? I mean Pastner whiffed after winning an ACC championship. The recruiting is what it is.

This is a good school for Basketball, we have loads of talent around the city of Atlanta and I believe enough money to compete.

The only reason I am hopeful for the future is the new AD. I think he gets it, and is wanting to raise and leverage the resources necessary to win.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Pastner doesn't feel the heat, because he is gone and he knows it. He is probably surprised he hasn't been let go already, but he knows cheap Tech can't. When people are coming to the end of a job cycle, at first they feel the heat, but then it's acceptance and embracing of the finality of what is to come.

That is what I see when I watch the post-pressers. It's a guy who knows this is over. The real question now is if GT is going to be able to raise enough money to go out and get a proven head coach. The other thing I am waiting on is to see if they have the guts to do it sooner rather than later. The longer this drags on, the more games we will lose and the little fanfare that is committed to GT basketball will get even less.

The only other reason for letting him stay on would be recruiting, but are we really afraid of losing Blue Cain? I mean Pastner whiffed after winning an ACC championship. The recruiting is what it is.

This is a good school for Basketball, we have loads of talent around the city of Atlanta and I believe enough money to compete.

The only reason I am hopeful for the future is the new AD. I think he gets it, and is wanting to raise and leverage the resources necessary to win.
For those of you not in the plus $2 million salary group, Josh is under contract through the 2025-26 season. If we boot him he will get 3 years of that money for not working. He is not under any financial pressure to hang on at GT. Furthermore, I bet he gets hired to another HC job within a year of leaving Tech.

The issue you mention in the 2nd paragraph is my worry. McCamish is now becoming a home game for other ACC teams when they come to Atlanta. Our fans have found alternative pastimes and it will take a while to win them back.

The recruiting issue you mention is not the one I am most worried about. We need to be recruiting Coleman, Kelly and Moore to stay at GT. If they think Josh is leaving, the pressure for them to look around increases.

I am not sure if we are actually a good basketball school. We have our moments, but losing the NIT championship game is not the same as losing in the round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament. Not even close. I was happy we did well that year and I loved the Alvarado years, but that is still less success than Clemson over that time. And Brownell has been on the hot seat almost the entire time Pastner has been at GT.

I also hope JBatt will help our basketball program find its way.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
For those of you not in the plus $2 million salary group, Josh is under contract through the 2025-26 season. If we boot him he will get 3 years of that money for not working. He is not under any financial pressure to hang on at GT. Furthermore, I bet he gets hired to another HC job within a year of leaving Tech.

The issue you mention in the 2nd paragraph is my worry. McCamish is now becoming a home game for other ACC teams when they come to Atlanta. Our fans have found alternative pastimes and it will take a while to win them back.

The recruiting issue you mention is not the one I am most worried about. We need to be recruiting Coleman, Kelly and Moore to stay at GT. If they think Josh is leaving, the pressure for them to look around increases.

I am not sure if we are actually a good basketball school. We have our moments, but losing the NIT championship game is not the same as losing in the round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament. Not even close. I was happy we did well that year and I loved the Alvarado years, but that is still less success than Clemson over that time. And Brownell has been on the hot seat almost the entire time Pastner has been at GT.

I also hope JBatt will help our basketball program find its way.
As I understand the contract, the buyout of that salary commitment is 75% at the end of this year and 60% at the end of next year. For a P5 revenue program that is not a lot. For GT which just turned over its football staff it may be too much. At least for this year. We'll see.