When does Pastner feel heat

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
With regards to support staff, I was thinking about experienced coaches who no longer want the grind of recruiting but can help with offensive system consulting as you suggested, but also some local HS/AAU coaches to help make more inroads in recruiting in the Atlanta area.
McMillan from Norcross would be a great start.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Pastner just hadn't got the right composition of players to compete in the ACC this year. He might squeeze one or two ACC wins out of the remainder of the season but he is missing a true point and dominant center. That will not magically happen this year. IMO. He might get one more year but it's not looking good for him at this point. J Batt probably did not expect this mess. Does Cabrera get involved?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Pastner just hadn't got the right composition of players to compete in the ACC this year. He might squeeze one or two ACC wins out of the remainder of the season but he is missing a true point and dominant center. That will not magically happen this year. IMO. He might get one more year but it's not looking good for him at this point. J Batt probably did not expect this mess. Does Cabrera get involved?
Probably will only try to fix one mess per year.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Feel like they need to make a change no matter what. Even if they had a fair amount of money, I don't think they're attracting a name candidate. Go out, hire somone like Jordan Mincy and let him prove himself.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Feel like they need to make a change no matter what. Even if they had a fair amount of money, I don't think they're attracting a name candidate. Go out, hire somone like Jordan Mincy and let him prove himself.
I have no idea who might be our targets right now. Or who might be interested. I thought this was going to be a much better year for GT basketball and completely ignored the idea that we ought to be checking out the beauties hanging around the bar. Who looks good right now?

Would Pat Kelsey leave Charleston?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This seemed like where we with football in 2021. The team was lousy and obviously not a well coached team. Fan interest had died. We changed a bunch of coaches for 2022 giving false hope of a positive change as the real issue was the man at the top.

In BB if we just change assistants with basically the same team less 4 seniors next year how could we reasonably expect better results.

CHP is in a hole I don’t believe he can get GTBB out of.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s nothing compared to what we’ve been dealing with in football. So it’s possible they make a move.

But look, for all the heat on Pastner’s system I really don’t blame that as much as his inability to land a blue chip recruit as he promised during his presser after his hire. It’s still possible that Miles Kelly, Jalon Moore, and Devon Coleman pan out to be great players and we add a player that changes everything next year. But man right now none of these guys has the killer instinct and the ability to just go get a bucket when we need one. The 2021 team had three guys that we could go to when we needed a bucket.

It’s clear that Pastner went into this season feeling like these guys could shoot lights out and that we’d live and die with jumpers. Well, that didn’t turn out to be the case and we are mostly just dying right now. But because we are so undersized we just don’t have another option.
Those that felt this team had players to be good are eternal optimist and were kidding themselves. Why do yiou think we were picked to finish 15th - last? I would have been shocked if this team had finished middle of the pack. It was clear before the season that the players to compete in the ACC were not on this team.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea who might be our targets right now. Or who might be interested. I thought this was going to be a much better year for GT basketball and completely ignored the idea that we ought to be checking out the beauties hanging around the bar. Who looks good right now?

Kelsey is going to Notre Dame.

I thought this team would be good with an addition by subtraction of Devoe/Usher allowing us to defer to the Sophs. Unfortunately all that happened is we now have nobody who can attract multiple defenders.

An aside given the Devoe/Ush reference, I went and saw Bubba Parham (#1 in white) after our Syracuse game. He still has that trademark high arcing 3 pointer. I think I mentioned this elsewhere but Samford is undefeated in the SoCon so we might see him in March!

7C0E7116-9421-443B-99F5-E55CBC3BCE90.jpeg

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Kelsey to ND? What about Amir Abdur-Rahim. He knows Georgia and the Atlanta area HS coaches.

Just tossing out ideas.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I know I know… last year was a letdown. But to be fair when you lose your two best players to the draft you most likely never win. I’ve seen some fans cry for Pastner to be fired. I think we should give him two more seasons to see how he does. Now that he has Ron Bell and the NCAA off his back, he has all his scholarships and recruiting opportunities available for him. We have help from the portal and he’s recruiting pretty decently, and the guys he brought in last year like Kelly, Smith, and Coleman have lots of potential. It won’t happen immediately. Expect another mediocre year this season because this years roster is very young and need to learn how to play together. But give it time, it’ll eventually click.
Pastner hire was a loser from the get-go. Memphis wanted his *** gone and we were stupid enough to take him.

slugboy

Staff member
I have no idea who does this CBB hot seat site, but they have Pastner on the periphery—not in the full hot seat territory. Chris Mooney is there, and we set him up with a long term contract at Richmond (this is evidence for “nothing good has come out of a GTMBB coaching search in the past 10 years, either for us or the ones who turn us down”). Bobby Hurley is there after a lot of buzz, and Keatts, Ewing, and Capel are around, too.

Appreciate that you're simply tossing out ideas but I hope we're aiming higher than that.

So, here’s an SI listing of “up and coming coaches”. Hayes is probably the only one I’ve seen coach. Twenty five years ago, I’d just say “it’s Sports Illustrated, they’ve researched this”, but now it’s “just a guy’s opinion”.

It’s got a lot of names, and I don’t have a clue whether any are good (man, it’s hard to know who out of hundreds of coaches is the next good coach). I also don’t know if we could bring back a Jarrett Jack from the Suns (where he’s an assistant)—that seems like the craziest of long shots. Yes, I’m just throwing things out and brainstorming.

Drew Valentine, Loyola Chicago
Jeff Linder, Wyoming
Jordan Mindy, Jacksonville
Grant McCasland, North Texas
Shantay Logan’s, Portland
Niko Medved, Colorado State
Austin Claunch, Nicholas State
Kim English, George Mason
Bob Richey, Furman (“Strong developer of talent an runs a beautiful offense)
Robert Jones, Norfolk State
Darian DeVries, Drake
Richie Riley, South Alabama
Mark Madden, Utah Valley
Terrence Johnson, Texas State
Jared Grasso, Bryant
Speedy Clayton, Hofstra (An ex-Hawk on the list! OK, everyone is an. ex-Hawk)
Matt Langel, Colgate
Jonas Hayes, Georgia State
Eric Henderson, South Dakota State
Dana Ford, Missouri State

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I think the whole “knows the HS coaches in Georgia” notion for the next candidate is overrated
Cremona first great teams - how many of those guys were from Georgia?
We did get BO, Forrest and Harpring eventually but how many HS signees out of Georgia did we have on the last ACC title team a couple of years ago?
Even the National runner up team - BJ and Ismail were from Georgia, and maybe one of the key bench guys, but most of those guys were from elsewhere
There is a ton of talent in the state. There’s no questioning that
But a few years ago, Tech was in on the kid regarded as the best prospect in the state
Couldn’t get him into school. Not even close. (He failed the HS graduation test, for one)
The proliferation of AAU teams and these all star Nike or whatever shoe company’s all star showcase makes in state recruiting less of a factor
It would be nice to have that in the next coach. But not having it should not be a deal breaker

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think the whole “knows the HS coaches in Georgia” notion for the next candidate is overrated
Cremona first great teams - how many of those guys were from Georgia?
We did get BO, Forrest and Harpring eventually but how many HS signees out of Georgia did we have on the last ACC title team a couple of years ago?
Even the National runner up team - BJ and Ismail were from Georgia, and maybe one of the key bench guys, but most of those guys were from elsewhere
There is a ton of talent in the state. There’s no questioning that
But a few years ago, Tech was in on the kid regarded as the best prospect in the state
Couldn’t get him into school. Not even close. (He failed the HS graduation test, for one)
The proliferation of AAU teams and these all star Nike or whatever shoe company’s all star showcase makes in state recruiting less of a factor
It would be nice to have that in the next coach. But not having it should not be a deal breaker
I also think it's overrated. But it can be the thing that tips the scales with some kids. Probably not a top 100 kids, but those in the 101-300 range are the kids who are likely come to GT without every night NBA dreams.

I also don’t know if we could bring back a Jarrett Jack from the Suns (where he’s an assistant)—that seems like the craziest of long shots.
I wonder if Jack would even consider a college coaching job. Since he left GT he has been a pro player until last year. I have no idea how to evaluate an NBA assistant and I doubt many on this board do as well. What we know is what we read.

What I found puzzling at the time was his decision to play in the G League in 2019. After kinda sorta recovering from his injury, he didn't immediately retire. Instead he signed with the Ignite and was released a month later. I don't think he played a minute with them. Given his history that was a sad way to exit the league. He earned almost $50 million during his career and shouldn't be in the position where he's hanging on as an assistant with a team that might not make the playoffs. How much do NBA assistant coaches make?

slugboy

Staff member
I also think it's overrated. But it can be the thing that tips the scales with some kids. Probably not a top 100 kids, but those in the 101-300 range are the kids who are likely come to GT without every night NBA dreams.

I wonder if Jack would even consider a college coaching job. Since he left GT he has been a pro player until last year. I have no idea how to evaluate an NBA assistant and I doubt many on this board do as well. What we know is what we read.

What I found puzzling at the time was his decision to play in the G League in 2019. After kinda sorta recovering from his injury, he didn't immediately retire. Instead he signed with the Ignite and was released a month later. I don't think he played a minute with them. Given his history that was a sad way to exit the league. He earned almost $50 million during his career and shouldn't be in the position where he's hanging on as an assistant with a team that might not make the playoffs. How much do NBA assistant coaches make?
With Jack, I don’t know if it’s “I need the money” vs “I can’t go a day without basketball”.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
What I found puzzling at the time was his decision to play in the G League in 2019. After kinda sorta recovering from his injury, he didn't immediately retire. Instead he signed with the Ignite and was released a month later. I don't think he played a minute with them. Given his history that was a sad way to exit the league.
He was very much hired to be a veteran presence and mentor to a young team competing against teams of older players, and I think he played a good bit. I’m also sure he was thinking he might get another shot with an NBA team needing some depth.

Game write-up featuring Jack

AJC article about his work with the Ignite

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have no idea who does this CBB hot seat site, but they have Pastner on the periphery—not in the full hot seat territory. Chris Mooney is there, and we set him up with a long term contract at Richmond (this is evidence for “nothing good has come out of a GTMBB coaching search in the past 10 years, either for us or the ones who turn us down”). Bobby Hurley is there after a lot of buzz, and Keatts, Ewing, and Capel are around, too.

So, here’s an SI listing of “up and coming coaches”. Hayes is probably the only one I’ve seen coach. Twenty five years ago, I’d just say “it’s Sports Illustrated, they’ve researched this”, but now it’s “just a guy’s opinion”.

It’s got a lot of names, and I don’t have a clue whether any are good (man, it’s hard to know who out of hundreds of coaches is the next good coach). I also don’t know if we could bring back a Jarrett Jack from the Suns (where he’s an assistant)—that seems like the craziest of long shots. Yes, I’m just throwing things out and brainstorming.

Drew Valentine, Loyola Chicago
Jeff Linder, Wyoming
Jordan Mindy, Jacksonville
Grant McCasland, North Texas
Shantay Logan’s, Portland
Niko Medved, Colorado State
Austin Claunch, Nicholas State
Kim English, George Mason
Bob Richey, Furman (“Strong developer of talent an runs a beautiful offense)
Robert Jones, Norfolk State
Darian DeVries, Drake
Richie Riley, South Alabama
Mark Madden, Utah Valley
Terrence Johnson, Texas State
Jared Grasso, Bryant
Speedy Clayton, Hofstra (An ex-Hawk on the list! OK, everyone is an. ex-Hawk)
Matt Langel, Colgate
Jonas Hayes, Georgia State
Eric Henderson, South Dakota State
Dana Ford, Missouri State
thanks for the hot seat article - I thinks its accurate and interesting regarding all the coaches. CJP will get another year as it states IMO. AD just has too many other issues than basketball. Hewitt late years, then Gregory, then Pastner - gosh it's been a struggle to follow.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

We need to stop taking flyers and just hoping it works out. It didn't work out with Gregory (pun a bit here). Didn't work out with Collins. Somewhat worked out with Pastner but not long term. Now we've promoted a first time HC from within a dumpster fire staff in football, and hoping that he wasn't part of the issue. The reality is most likely it wasn't just all Collins, and in 4 or 5 years we'll be needing to make another football hire. We don't need to make a basketball hire that will just likely be needing to be replaced in a couple years. Make a hire that has a strong argument for being able to have success. If all we're going to do is bet on a long shot, we might as well stick with the guy who's already hit that longshot once and hope he figures it out.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We need to stop taking flyers and just hoping it works out. It didn't work out with Gregory (pun a bit here). Didn't work out with Collins. Somewhat worked out with Pastner but not long term. Now we've promoted a first time HC from within a dumpster fire staff in football, and hoping that he wasn't part of the issue. The reality is most likely it wasn't just all Collins, and in 4 or 5 years we'll be needing to make another football hire. We don't need to make a basketball hire that will just likely be needing to be replaced in a couple years. Make a hire that has a strong argument for being able to have success. If all we're going to do is bet on a long shot, we might as well stick with the guy who's already hit that longshot once and hope he figures it out.
I do not know what you mean by "taking flyers."

Brian Gregory was a huge disappointment at GT, but he came to us with a 172-94 record and four consecutive post season trips. I do not think anyone at the AA considered that a flyer. There is risk associated with every hire. Some greater than others, but this did not seem like a huge risk at the time. Granted, people on the Swarm had differing opinions and the detractors were certainly more correct then not.

Josh Pastner had a 167-73 record at Memphis. Granted, things had cooled in his last two years, but a lot of people were pretty excited about hiring him as our new head coach.

So, let's look back at Paul Hewitt. He was 66-27 in three seasons at Siena. Was that a flyer? Or, Bobby Cremins, who was 100-70 at App State.

I am not sure what our choices were when we hired Geoff Collins, but he has also been successful at Temple. We are not likely to poach a head coach from a perennial P6 NCAA Tournament team, so there is going to a bit of risk with everyone candidate we interview. I hope our decision makers weigh that risk/reward ration carefully,, because it willl always be the toughest part of every hire we consider.