When does Pastner feel heat

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
What I heard from DRad just now:

“Look, I have no idea who I’m going to get to lead this program. I also had no idea that anyone would be interested in taking you off of our hands. You caught me with my pants down! There has to be a catch, but I don’t see it yet. Let’s just stay buddies until I figure this out. This is an issue for future Dave and future Paul, amirite? Go get ‘em buddy! I’ve got a ‘vote of confidence’ presser to write.”
The thing is, that's pretty much what happened, based on one version of the story.

I shared years ago: https://gtswarm.com/threads/remembering-hewitt.17670/page-2#post-548621
  • Hewitt accepted the St. John's job.
  • Hewitt told his boss, the GT AD, and asked for time to return from vacation to tell his GT players before a formal announcement.
  • During that time, the GT AD asked Hewitt to stay.
  • Hewitt says stte of "it's clearly not working here. I don't have a lot of support." and the AD replies with stte of "You're our guy".
  • Hewitt stays at GT.
  • A year later, the GT AD fires Hewitt.
  • Hewitt asks the GT AD, "I thought I was your guy?" and the AD replies with stte of "Last year we couldn't find anyone better."

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Obviously @CuseJacket just wanted to see grown men cry today. Nobody tell @dtm1997 ,known DRad lover, of this recounting of the story.

Ha. That's like being on death row, getting clemency, then turning to the warden and saying, 'Nah f that, let's ride this thing out. See how it goes."

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
1673631358642.png

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
He told me directly, 1:1, that he accepted the St. John's job. He told DRad that their relationship and support obviously wasn't working. DRad convinced him that his job at GT was not in jeopardy, then fired him a year later.

That's one side of the story.
An important part you left out is that Hewitt told his wife and daughters. They said they didn't want to move.

I don't know if he told St. John's he was coming or not but it wasn't official.

Take these types of stories for what they are worth. I've heard conflicting info on Mrs. DRad's input into him taking the Clemson and Miami jobs.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 13909

I realize that many here are not able to attend games (or choose not to) for whatever reason, but this may give you an idea of the current state of the GTMBB budget.

The picture above shows the souvenir cups that are sold at GT basketball games. Notice that they do not contain images of this years basketball team, they're leftovers from football season. Further, I don’t recall a single promotional give away this season (bobbleheads, t-shirts, etc.). Hell, there’s not even halftime entertainment - no dogs chasing frisbees, no Red Panda on a unicycle catching bowls…Instead, it’s the Gooooold Rush or basketball musical chairs!

This is just what is right in front of our eyes, how bad is it behind the scenes with support staff and recruiting resources? I can only imagine. Rumor is we lost our social media content manager months ago to Atlanta OT Elite because they paid more..LOL! Without a doubt, there’s a lot of issues to sort through. Josh hasn’t done himself any favors with the ****ty roster construction, and he’s had some head scratching moments with respect to game management too, but I’m still supportive because I know what he’s been giving to work with…next to nothing.

That is one of the primary reasons I’ve wanted Josh to right the ship so badly. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to realize that we’re not in a position to undergo a coaching search. At least not one that is going to move the needle or ensure that we hire the right guy! This is especially true when you consider what appears to be a strong (and needed) investment into football.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but don't think that it can't get worse.
Ask and ye shall receive! We’ve got frisbee dogs for Pitt!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Prior to the season, there was a thread from a font on another board that mentioned Josh reaching out to a season ticket holder's father inquiring if they planned to renew. Last year after the season, he personally contacted several season ticket holders whose tickets were scanned for every game, thanking them for their support. My point is that he is not scared to interact with boosters / donors. I speak with him regularly and while I donate, I am far from a big supporter. There are many, probably on this board, that do / give more than I do.

Personally, I think that his biggest problem is that he isn't vocal enough about what he needs / wants, but the reality is that we don't know what has gone on behind the scenes. Despite the on-the-court results, Josh has always had the reputation of a tireless worker, and I don't think that has changed. It is safe to assume that he knows the biggest donors. It goes beyond them not wanting to fund Josh. We also have to remember how many times these boosters have been hit up for donations over the last couple of years. There have been several fundraising initiatives over the past couple of years, and we all know how much assistance football has needed.

This may seem like another defense of Josh, but there are only so many donors with deep pockets that are going to cut a check. Let's not give Todd Stansbury and the adminstration a complete pass. Yes, Josh should have been beating the NIL drum before it became a thing, but having a vision and being ahead of the curve is a big part of the AD's job. Not to mention, many people also feel like they have given and given to the GTAA and their donations have been poorly managed (not just on hoops), and they're tired of ineptness.
I wouldn't argue with you at all about Josh engaging and thanking folks who are around the program and the major boosters. He is a bubbly, likeable and guess I'll say it again engaging guy. And I have no doubt he is a tireless worker. My personal opinion is that he is a likeable guy who works hard at trying to make GT basketball a winner. He is easy to root for recognizing his somewhat quirky mannerisms. And I do know one potential recruit's dad who had an interaction with him and was impressed. So not a "screw him and the horse he rode in on" view.

And I am very aware I don't know what goes on behind the scenes and can only speculate on what I see. First to admit I may be way wrong. But from everything I see and hear - including several conversations with ACC assistant coaches - the NIL payments are focused on the top 50 or so players and drop off dramatically when you look at the top 100 or so guys. The top 100 or so guys getting nothing to say $50K or a bit more. Point being - if that is the reason we are missing out on guys around the top 100 then that shouldn't be a hard lift for an ACC level coach even with a booster base that has been hit up for multiple gifts as you correctly point out. Now it may all be academics but I have trouble believing there are not prospects in that range who are close enough that they can't get pushed over the finish line with a coach who has the juice to push. Note that I am not on the inside and admit I could be wrong - but my perspective. And that is IMHO the type of stuff an ACC level coach should be able to manage that would hopefully have allowed us to keep the "stay old" part of the strategy.

I obviously have issues with his offense, but his kids generally play hard and he is a likeable guy you want to root for. But end of the day it ain't working and something has to change. Josh isn't going anywhere at the end of this year - football gets the bandwidth for now. So Josh gets next year to get his roster right and win enough games to at least be bubbly. But at some point - likely end of next year - Batt is going to have to make a decision that he is going to try to fix the issues with and for Josh - or he needs a fresh start and a new face to coalesce the boosters and internal stakeholders around. As I said above, it may not be pretty - and probably won't be - but it is reality.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
An important part you left out is that Hewitt told his wife and daughters. They said they didn't want to move.

I don't know if he told St. John's he was coming or not but it wasn't official.

Take these types of stories for what they are worth. I've heard conflicting info on Mrs. DRad's input into him taking the Clemson and Miami jobs.
I'm just sharing what he told me. I agree, gotta consider that it's one person's version, albeit directly from the central figure.

To me, he framed the decision around his job security. While he did not speak to his wife/daughters, he left no uncertainty around DRad's role in the matter. In context of how he described circumstances where he didn't even mention family, I think any reasonable person would have walked away thinking that DRad played the key role in his decision to come back rather than his wife/daughters. But his omission to mention his family does not mean they weren't a factor or possibly even the driving factor, because stories do have a way of changing/embellishing over time.

He did say he told St John's he was coming, but obviously nothing became official. I assume it's understood by many why St. John's was a desirable job for him too.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm just sharing what he told me. I agree, gotta consider that it's one person's version, albeit directly from the central figure.

To me, he framed the decision around his job security. While he did not speak to his wife/daughters, he left no uncertainty around DRad's role in the matter. In context of how he described circumstances where he didn't even mention family, I think any reasonable person would have walked away thinking that DRad played the key role in his decision to come back rather than his wife/daughters. But his omission to mention his family does not mean they weren't a factor or possibly even the driving factor, because stories do have a way of changing/embellishing over time.

He did say he told St John's he was coming, but obviously nothing became official. I assume it's understood by many why St. John's was a desirable job for him too.
I am not disagreeing, just adding what I heard from a good source or two. Like with just about anything there are multiple moving parts.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We will probably know his fate about mid season next year. He has to get a good big man or two to have any chance at a decent season next year and that assumes he doesn't lose his best returning players to the portal.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I am not disagreeing, just adding what I heard from a good source or two. Like with just about anything there are multiple moving parts.
p here in Northern Virginia, when Hewitt came to Mason Hewitt was on local radio several times saying this was one of the few post GT jobs he would take. His wife and daughters were very central to giving him the OK to take the Mason job. That makes it more believable that the family played a big role in staying at GT.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I know I know… last year was a letdown. But to be fair when you lose your two best players to the draft you most likely never win. I’ve seen some fans cry for Pastner to be fired. I think we should give him two more seasons to see how he does. Now that he has Ron Bell and the NCAA off his back, he has all his scholarships and recruiting opportunities available for him. We have help from the portal and he’s recruiting pretty decently, and the guys he brought in last year like Kelly, Smith, and Coleman have lots of potential. It won’t happen immediately. Expect another mediocre year this season because this years roster is very young and need to learn how to play together. But give it time, it’ll eventually click.
Bah humbug

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
p here in Northern Virginia, when Hewitt came to Mason Hewitt was on local radio several times saying this was one of the few post GT jobs he would take. His wife and daughters were very central to giving him the OK to take the Mason job. That makes it more believable that the family played a big role in staying at GT.
That's likely mostly BS to appease the Mason fans. I lived in that area for several years and while Fairfax is nice, Mason is mostly a commuter school and not a job someone would flock too. Larranaga struck gold there because he's a damn good coach

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That's likely mostly BS to appease the Mason fans. I lived in that area for several years and while Fairfax is nice, Mason is mostly a commuter school and not a job someone would flock too. Larranaga struck gold there because he's a damn good coach
Mason has changed a whole lot in the past decade +. Lots of on campus housing and the BB arena is nice.

Northern Virginia is one of the best Suburbs in the Country. Some really high end areas where rich folks live and other areas where we commoners live in 2400 sq foot houses built 40 years ago that sell for over $900K. Crazy.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Back to Pastner. Just how long are we supposed to be patient? He has been here a while now. Not like he is starting this program from scratch. Does he have any targets for next year? Can't tell it from the recruiting section for next year. He has one signed but he needs bigs.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Back to Pastner. Just how long are we supposed to be patient? He has been here a while now. Not like he is starting this program from scratch. Does he have any targets for next year? Can't tell it from the recruiting section for next year. He has one signed but he needs bigs.
... just the one on his back ???

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Here are the GT BB wins and the NET ratings for the opponents. Yuck!
GT BB wins
Clayton State – Div 2
Ga State - 267
North Alabama - 291
NIU - 297
Northeastern - 255
UGA - 102
Alabama State - 345
Miami - 36

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Mason has changed a whole lot in the past decade +. Lots of on campus housing and the BB arena is nice.

Northern Virginia is one of the best Suburbs in the Country. Some really high end areas where rich folks live and other areas where we commoners live in 2400 sq foot houses built 40 years ago that sell for over $900K. Crazy.
Oh I lived there for a long time. I know all about NoVa

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let's just say we have have lost our patience with Pastner. What does that impose on the GTAA?