When does Pastner feel heat

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
We already knew football was a lost cause but Clemson and Georgia are about to start eating our metro Atlanta lunch in basketball, too.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
We already knew football was a lost cause but Clemson and Georgia are about to start eating our metro Atlanta lunch in basketball, too.

I mean Clemson already has for years. What's the series since Cremins left? They've owned us.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
"Start?" Its already happened. FSU, Auburn are cleaning up in the ATL and yes Clemson and UGA will as well. Pastner's failing was not making those relationships first thing upon his arrival. Seven years in and its too late.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
"Start?" Its already happened. FSU, Auburn are cleaning up in the ATL and yes Clemson and UGA will as well. Pastner's failing was not making those relationships first thing upon his arrival. Seven years in and its too late.
Pastner lost KD Johnson from Decatur twice. Once to Tom Crean, then to Bruce Pearl. He lost Chase Hunter, a Westlake grad, to Brad Brownell.

I get losing recruiting battles for Atlanta recruits to UNC, Duke, etc - but Clemson?? Georgia??

One thing to mention about lack of connections in Atlanta is the Darryl LaBarrie resignation. Our roster could presently look a lot different if he didn't step down.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Pastner lost KD Johnson from Decatur twice. Once to Tom Crean, then to Bruce Pearl. He lost Chase Hunter, a Westlake grad, to Brad Brownell.

I get losing recruiting battles for Atlanta recruits to UNC, Duke, etc - but Clemson?? Georgia??

One thing to mention about lack of connections in Atlanta is the Darryl LaBarrie resignation. Our roster could presently look a lot different if he didn't step down.
Totally agree on LaBarrie. We threw him under the bus when we didn't have to. Should have suspended him, then brought him back.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Back to Pastner. Just how long are we supposed to be patient? He has been here a while now. Not like he is starting this program from scratch. Does he have any targets for next year? Can't tell it from the recruiting section for next year. He has one signed but he needs bigs.
At the very least, one more season. My guess is two. However, make the AA aware of your disdain. Enough of this “oh well” “we’re broke” bS. They ain’t that broke.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

The offense would likely be more progressive and evolving had Hardy not been hired by Loyola MD as well. The original staff was fantastic. I’m not thrilled with the current staff outside of JS who is an incredible recruiter for a goofball that can’t possibly connect with Atlanta culture

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Does he have any targets for next year? Can't tell it from the recruiting section for next year. He has one signed but he needs bigs.

We currently have 12 on scholarship I believe. The only player that can't return next year is Franklin. With Caine signed, we only have one left for next year, at the moment. A recruit big, even if it's a good one like a 4* isn't likely to really help us next year. So that one open scholarship is likely better off being saved to see if we can find an experienced big in the portal. That isn't to say we don't have targets, but if you can't hand out scholarships that a recruit can commit to then it's likely going to be hard for those outside the staff to really know who all is being targeted because a lot of that comes from who gets offered.

slugboy

Staff member
The offense would likely be more progressive and evolving had Hardy not been hired by Loyola MD as well. The original staff was fantastic. I’m not thrilled with the current staff outside of JS who is an incredible recruiter for a goofball that can’t possibly connect with Atlanta culture
I also liked our original staff. There was ample complaining about the offense and recruiting then, too.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
At the very least, one more season. My guess is two. However, make the AA aware of your disdain. Enough of this “oh well” “we’re broke” bS. They ain’t that broke.
CERTAIN mediocrity, for sure with him.Gotta start to rebuild sometime. If he can't get a top talent big there is no way his team competes for winning record. for even next yr.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
One play could be to replace Pastner after next season. At that point, I don’t think the current Sophs would have their degrees yet and could give us 1 good year as Seniors under the new coach before doing their grad transfer year.

Speaking of grad transfers, Samford is leading the SoCon w/ Bubba Parham. Hope he gets another chance on the big stage this March.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree on LaBarrie. We threw him under the bus when we didn't have to. Should have suspended him, then brought him back.
LaBarrie got a “Show Cause” from the NCAA for lying to investigators. The hanging him out too place during the investigation.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech Basketball is in cardiac arrest. Very few of us remember when GT basketball was a destination. Favors, Marbury, Thad Young, Crit, Clinch. All of them were 5 starts, and we beat the big boys for them. I remember taking my sons to the thriller dome and they loved it. The atmosphere was great, the basketball was great, and now they are both fans of others schools, and honestly, I don't blame them. For a couple of years, we couldn't even inbound the ball, let alone run legit offensive sets. The level of disappointment that I have now when I see that we are getting beat by Clemson, and UGA for recruits is just astounding.

This is a great case study on how to take a great program, smack in the middle of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, and make it into a joke. The truth is that the leadership of Tech is pretty Naive to how the world is and has changed. We didn't adapt and got left behind. I will admit that some people are starting to wake up. Some of the decision-makers are wondering why we are so bad and have been for so long. But there is still a large percentage of Tech fans and administrators that simply don't understand how to compete in modern-day athletics.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Most understand but idealism reigns and many simply refuse to ‘play the game’.

Even Ivy League ‘plays the game’.

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
I mostly agree with all who have expressed previously Josh's strengths and shortcomings. Josh is a decent (not great) "coach" of X's and O's. Simply put he doesn't attract the high level of talent in and around Atlanta and in the state of GA who go elsewhere and our track record doesn't attract nationwide talent to compete effectively in the ACC or SEC or to make the NCAA tournament consistently. At 1-6 in the ACC, we will finish yet another season well well under .500.. As I look at the remaining schedule of 13 ACC games, we might win 3 of those games, MIGHT. Louisville who we play 2X's is winless so far but they probably have better talent than GT despite their troubles. So the best case scenario, we finish 4 wins and 15 losses in ACC ball, a depressing 21% winning percentage in ACC competition. To the question, is it time to turn up the heat in terms of where is this program going and is Josh the right man at the helm? Yes it is, now that the elephant in the Athletic Department HC 's room (Collins) has been dispatched.
Maybe we can ask Nell Fortner is she can take over the men's program!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Would be curious how the players see him, both current and former? He seems to liked. If he is, wonder how that could be leveraged for recruiting?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Would be curious how the players see him, both current and former? He seems to liked. If he is, wonder how that could be leveraged for recruiting?
He is a likeable guy and I think most GT fans want him to succeed here but his record will be his downfall. He is just one or two of the right position players away from being competitive. Unfortunately he has missed on those and it seems that happens every season. He has had some good but not great teams a couple of times. The NIT team and the Moses/Jose team were good teams. He needs to find magic in a bottle for next year.