When does Pastner feel heat

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
When someone you hate quits, need to get that resignation letter signed and copies made asap. Every damn Manager that's been around more than a year & is even remotely competent knows that.

It's the competent part we've been missing.
I think you are careless with your wording above. I don't think most people in the AA at the time, or on this board, "hate" Coach Hewitt, they were just disappointed in his teams performance at times. If I'm not mistaken, he was the ONLY GT Men's basketball coach to lead Tech to the National Championship game. No one did that before him, and no one has come close to doing that since. Is that his fault, or the GTAA/changing landscape of college basketball/college sports in general? I can't answer that. If you are a manager, based on your wording above I would "hate" to work for you. If you are disappointed with your employee's performance that is one thing. If you "hate" them, that is on you.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I think you are careless with your wording above. I don't think most people in the AA at the time, or on this board, "hate" Coach Hewitt, they were just disappointed in his teams performance at times. If I'm not mistaken, he was the ONLY GT Men's basketball coach to lead Tech to the National Championship game. No one did that before him, and no one has come close to doing that since. Is that his fault, or the GTAA/changing landscape of college basketball/college sports in general? I can't answer that. If you are a manager, based on your wording above I would "hate" to work for you. If you are disappointed with your employee's performance that is one thing. If you "hate" them, that is on you.
You’re right, hate was too strong a word. Disliked, was time to move on, etc.

Bottom line though was you had the guy quitting despite having a “for life” contract. You get that official resignation and wish him the best, help him pack those boxes. GT blewitt.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
A certain 2x national champion (1x as HC) is working a mile away from campus at Atlantic Station and re-eligible for college gigs if we are interested in continuing the time honored tradition of an NCAA-sanctioned MBB team 😄

jpw67

Georgia Tech Fan
Tech grad, arrived on campus in 1990, so pretty well spoiled I suppose, both for MBB and FB.

I'm at a point where my personal expectations for MBB are pretty low, but I still try to catch every game I can on TV (I live in NC). Honestly expected us to pull out the game at ND, but the loss likely took the emotional wind from my sails for the season I'm afraid. Still, looking forward to getting back to campus at some point this season and catching either a MBB or WBB game despite the records. I think this team has another few quality wins in them, it's just that those will be totally offset by some horrible losses that just keep us parked where we are in the standings. Wish it would improve.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
@CINCYMETJACKET I actually think the Cremins and Hewitt situations are somewhat similar in some respects. You had a coach that not only "took the call" to discuss a career move but went thru the steps of interviewing up to the point of getting a serious job offer. In my personal opinion you're done at the present location at that point where you pretty much got or would be getting what you asked for, hinted at you wanted, etc. Staying in the same job just doesn't ever really work out well from my professional experience.

From GT's perspective if your employee has seriously gone looking you've not done enough ahead of time to prevented the type of wandering eye that pulls the plug. The relationship is too damaged at that point.

We got lucky with Johnson. He no longer wanted to coach at GT or anywhere else for that matter & he left with making us pay. Stand up guy there.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
A certain 2x national champion (1x as HC) is working a mile away from campus at Atlantic Station and re-eligible for college gigs if we are interested in continuing the time honored tradition of an NCAA-sanctioned MBB team 😄
Are you talking about Kevin Ollie?

HELLLLLLLLLLL NO!

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Question is, who is our big time money guys for the basketball side? We know who they are in football and baseball, but who cares enough about basketball to put up the money to buy CJP out and pay for a new, quality hire?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if we could spend enough money to lure Pat Kelsey away from COC.
He’s making about $600K right now. With an overall value of of under $3MM on his contract. He would probably top the list.

We will likely fire Pastner after someone else snatches him up anyway

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
nMGuZc9.jpg

I realize that many here are not able to attend games (or choose not to) for whatever reason, but this may give you an idea of the current state of the GTMBB budget.

The picture above shows the souvenir cups that are sold at GT basketball games. Notice that they do not contain images of this years basketball team, they're leftovers from football season. Further, I don’t recall a single promotional give away this season (bobbleheads, t-shirts, etc.). Hell, there’s not even halftime entertainment - no dogs chasing frisbees, no Red Panda on a unicycle catching bowls…Instead, it’s the Gooooold Rush or basketball musical chairs!

This is just what is right in front of our eyes, how bad is it behind the scenes with support staff and recruiting resources? I can only imagine. Rumor is we lost our social media content manager months ago to Atlanta OT Elite because they paid more..LOL! Without a doubt, there’s a lot of issues to sort through. Josh hasn’t done himself any favors with the ****ty roster construction, and he’s had some head scratching moments with respect to game management too, but I’m still supportive because I know what he’s been giving to work with…next to nothing.

That is one of the primary reasons I’ve wanted Josh to right the ship so badly. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to realize that we’re not in a position to undergo a coaching search. At least not one that is going to move the needle or ensure that we hire the right guy! This is especially true when you consider what appears to be a strong (and needed) investment into football.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but don't think that it can't get worse.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Need to give J Batt some time. He just got hired and first thing had to hire a new FB coach plus started a big fund raiser. He was still moving his family to Atlanta at the same time. I am sure he will focus on the basketball program next. Pastner likely gets a pass this year and next year will be his make or break year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He’s making about $600K right now. With an overall value of of under $3MM on his contract. He would probably top the list.

We will likely fire Pastner after someone else snatches him up anyway

Ain't he the guy that reneged on UMass (?) and had the weird personal issues related to his wife?

Not saying you're post is wrong, just jogging my memory.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 13909

I realize that many here are not able to attend games (or choose not to) for whatever reason, but this may give you an idea of the current state of the GTMBB budget.

The picture above shows the souvenir cups that are sold at GT basketball games. Notice that they do not contain images of this years basketball team, they're leftovers from football season. Further, I don’t recall a single promotional give away this season (bobbleheads, t-shirts, etc.). Hell, there’s not even halftime entertainment - no dogs chasing frisbees, no Red Panda on a unicycle catching bowls…Instead, it’s the Gooooold Rush or basketball musical chairs!

This is just what is right in front of our eyes, how bad is it behind the scenes with support staff and recruiting resources? I can only imagine. Rumor is we lost our social media content manager months ago to Atlanta OT Elite because they paid more..LOL! Without a doubt, there’s a lot of issues to sort through. Josh hasn’t done himself any favors with the ****ty roster construction, and he’s had some head scratching moments with respect to game management too, but I’m still supportive because I know what he’s been giving to work with…next to nothing.

That is one of the primary reasons I’ve wanted Josh to right the ship so badly. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to realize that we’re not in a position to undergo a coaching search. At least not one that is going to move the needle or ensure that we hire the right guy! This is especially true when you consider what appears to be a strong (and needed) investment into football.

Good info. I hope CJP has gone in the prior and current ADs offices and frankly gotten angry and vocal about what he needs to make GT BB relevant. That does not seem like his personality from viewing him only on his TV appearances. If the ADs won't give him what he needs then he is in a tough place. If he isn't demanding what he needs then it mostly on him. Being a good company man on a sinking ship when you know how to save the ship is a bad move. If you have insight you are willing to share please do so as these type posts are very insightful and helpful in understanding why GT BB is in such bad shape.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
View attachment 13909

It's funny. All us calling to get rid of CPast but, in many ways, he's been the right guy for us.

What other guy, who'd be considered an upgrade, would put up with the clown show that is GT's financial situation?

In many ways, this is more of a perfect marriage than we wanna admit.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's funny. All us calling to get rid of CPast but, in many ways, he's been the right guy for us.

What other guy, who'd be considered an upgrade, would put up with the clown show that is GT's financial situation?

In many ways, this is more of a perfect marriage than we wanna admit.

That's sort of my point.. This is not meant to defend Josh, he has brought heat onto himself, but if he were to be fired tomorrow, we would land on probably our 5th choice for the position.

That person would likely be someone that wouldn't have the same results. Let's face it, there's no budget, no NIL pool to utilize, etc. It is not an inviable position.

No coach worth a **** is going to sign-up for that.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
CJP's relentless positivity is likely a good fit for the challenges our GTMBB HC faces.

I have made my choice and will keep spending good money after (maybe bad) because I believe in what ADJB/PAC are doing.

Hope we can all toast our success again soon enough.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There had to be more to that. Anyone know? The interest from the other school was overblown if not a total fairy tale?? it didn’t add up. The writing was on the wall and we had a get out of jail free card staring us in the face. Why on earth would we double down on what had proved to be an awful contract?
He told me directly, 1:1, that he accepted the St. John's job. He told DRad that their relationship and support obviously wasn't working. DRad convinced him that his job at GT was not in jeopardy, then fired him a year later.

That's one side of the story.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
CJP's relentless positivity is likely a good fit for the challenges our GTMBB HC faces.

I have made my choice and will keep spending good money after (maybe bad) because I believe in what ADJB/PAC are doing.

Hope we can all toast our success again soon enough.
It’s time Josh start leveraging what the prior posters have said. You think you can do better than me with the support you give. Good luck. Now that I have your attention give me X, Y, and Z. What’s he got to lose. The current system isn’t working.

Connell’s info was extremely informative and discouraging.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Ain't he the guy that reneged on UMass (?) and had the weird personal issues related to his wife?

Not saying you're post is wrong, just jogging my memory.
You are correct. Also led Winthrop to a 23-2 season. I don’t know if he’s the answer but I’m sure he could do as well as what we have now and he has CoC in the top 25 with the longest winning streak in the nation with victories over Kent State and VPI. He plays an uptempo style which may be appealing to high level local recruits and transfers