When does Pastner feel heat

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That phrase doesn’t mean what you think it means. Let me try to explain in a different way.

A critical analysis is like having a Brazilian referee the USA vs. Mexico match. What people in here are doing is the equivalent of having that guy who paints uga on his head referee the Florida - Georgia game. The concerning portion is that you’re completely biased and can’t see it.

Is a national sportswriter who went to Ohio State biased for / against Tech? Probably not. Are you? Yes.

Is the NET/RPI I posted biased? Nope. Is your, “well shucks I watched games and we got hosed” biased? Yes.
Again with your critical analysis...LOL. We finished the season 17-4 having won 7 of 10, and we beat several of the top teams in the conference, finished fifth overall.

If you are really using "critical analysis", you wouldn't just look at the record or whether we made the tournament. You would understand that Jose missed a large portion of the early season.

Our team sputtered without our leader, but when he came back, we were on a roll and playing very good basketball. You would know that if you had been watching the games.

Speaking of RPI, we finished the season 68th and didn't get a chance to make a tourney run. Getting a tourney bid would have been a tall task, but to act as if we underachieved is complete BS.

Especially when you consider that we had gone 15 years straight without a winning conference record. You're starting to sound like the guy who paints UGA on his head...

Not renewing his contract would have set GT basketball back for another 10 years, primarily because no coach worth a flip would even consider us.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
That phrase doesn’t mean what you think it means. Let me try to explain in a different way.

A critical analysis is like having a Brazilian referee the USA vs. Mexico match. What people in here are doing is the equivalent of having that guy who paints uga on his head referee the Florida - Georgia game. The concerning portion is that you’re completely biased and can’t see it.

Is a national sportswriter who went to Ohio State biased for / against Tech? Probably not. Are you? Yes.

Is the NET/RPI I posted biased? Nope. Is your, “well shucks I watched games and we got hosed” biased? Yes.
That is a terrible analogy.

National sportswriters get paid by having people click on their articles. They do not get paid for being accurate about sports.

Your misquoting me is typical of your posts on here, inaccurate and dishonest.

Keep posting your guesses of what might have happened. They make me laugh.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Let's all take a couple big deep breaths and remember that we are on the same team here ok?

Contrary to what some of you may hope there are no bonus points given on here for snark nor for body slamming other posters. Style points as collected and scored via @kg01 's mysterious list not withstanding.

Help me, help you by avoiding the bickering (I've no problem with people pointing out and debating the elements of an argument or the merit of it's worth but dunking on eachother is a good way to get yourself a temp ban).

Edit to add - if you do have the uncontrollable urge to dish out previously mentioned dunkage, feel free to avail yourselves of the DM Feature. Then go wild.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What about 2016-17 and 2019-20? Pastner has done more with less than any coach in the ACC. I'm actually surprised to see this thread - I thought Pastner had a fairly solid approval rating. It's rare that I've ever seen Pastner's GT teams quit (although Jose's leadership probably gets some credit there too). They've always played hard, high-effort, blue-collar basketball and definitely punch above their weight. He's got my thumbs up.
- recruiting has been pathetic. even best players were not high recruits
- recruiting is part of the coaching formula, you have to get players they are not given to you
- appears he puts all his eggs in a few recruits and then fails
- may be because he comes cross as kind of goofy idk
- hope he succeeds but he is not going to without better players
- gt should be able to recruit basketball players, no excuse for always having to do more with less when comes to bball

MidtownJacket

Staff member
While I agree with the premise that Coach hasn't been able to pull in and close High End Elite ACC Talent, part of recruiting is finding the guys like Jose and Moses who flew under the radar. Then developing them into and scheming a system that allows them to be what they turned into.

I am still all in on him, and hope the staff shakeup helps us hit on a few more good ones (I like our current group though TBH). Couldn't agree more with the title of this thread.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Part of the recruiting world now is $$$ and I think that's hurt Pastner's attempts to land high-end guys, to the point that he's not really focused on them any more. In the past, you could convince an occasional 4-5 star based on playing time, staff, etc. Nowadays, those guys are stupid if they don't secure $$$ as part of the package.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Part of the recruiting world now is $$$ and I think that's hurt Pastner's attempts to land high-end guys, to the point that he's not really focused on them any more. In the past, you could convince an occasional 4-5 star based on playing time, staff, etc. Nowadays, those guys are stupid if they don't secure $$$ as part of the package.
People that criticize Josh for not landing McDonalds All Americans or 5 stars fail to recognize how the game has been played the last several years. First it was Adidas & Nike paying players while we were with Russell. Then it became NIL.

Not to mention that Zig Ziglar himself couldn’t have sold GT to elite talent when CJP first arrived. To overlook our development program (which we tout to recruits) and the success of guys like Moses, Jose, Usher, James Banks, etc, or the fact that he has really picked it up on the trail the last two 2-3 years, is simply disingenuous.

Finally, our athletic department is cash strapped. We don’t have nearly the budget that other programs have. Our locker room is so subpar, and if you don’t think that those little things play a role, you’re dead wrong.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
People that criticize Josh for not landing McDonalds All Americans or 5 stars fail to recognize how the game has been played the last several years. First it was Adidas & Nike paying players while we were with Russell. Then it became NIL.

Not to mention that Zig Ziglar himself couldn’t have sold GT to elite talent when CJP first arrived. To overlook our development program (which we tout to recruits) and the success of guys like Moses, Jose, Usher, James Banks, etc, or the fact that he has really picked it up on the trail the last two 2-3 years, is simply disingenuous.

Finally, our athletic department is cash strapped. We don’t have nearly the budget that other programs have. Our locker room is so subpar, and if you don’t think that those little things play a role, you’re dead wrong.
Maybe my comments on his recruiting are a bit rough but I don't think things are as stacked against us/him as you say. It is disingenous to not recognize his disaster with Bell. I also hope you are right about his "picked up on the trail the last 2-3 years". Only Coach Paul Johnson could have coached last years talent to a winning reccord. Wake, Va Tech, Miami, Clemson, Tennessee and there are others who have more talented teams - I guess they all have better facilities?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Maybe my comments on his recruiting are a bit rough but I don't think things are as stacked against us/him as you say. It is disingenous to not recognize his disaster with Bell. I also hope you are right about his "picked up on the trail the last 2-3 years". Only Coach Paul Johnson could have coached last years talent to a winning reccord. Wake, Va Tech, Miami, Clemson, Tennessee and there are others who have more talented teams - I guess they all have better facilities?
The money game between the shoe companies was something we couldn’t touch. Look at what happened when we dared talk with a duke recruit.

With NIL there are kids literally getting 6 figure deals that we don’t have funding for. It’s impossible to beat that without our own war chest. It has been fairly well known inside the program that CJP hasn’t gotten the [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅100)̲̅$̲̅] to go get the top guys paid.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The money game between the shoe companies was something we couldn’t touch. Look at what happened when we dared talk with a duke recruit.

With NIL there are kids literally getting 6 figure deals that we don’t have funding for. It’s impossible to beat that without our own war chest. It has been fairly well known inside the program that CJP hasn’t gotten the [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅100)̲̅$̲̅] to go get the top guys paid.
Spot on!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Therein lies the problem. You come on here blasting away and you’re not educated on many aspects.

If you’re not aware of the fact that the deck has been stacked against us with the money game, that’s on you. It has been clearly documented. Our athletic department was struggling prior to COVID, now we can barely keep the lights on.

And Yes, many of those programs have excellent facilities. Wake’s donors have showered them $$, Chris Paul donated $2.5 million himself. Clemson and Tennessee football has their budgets looking nice.

No one here is saying that Josh is free of criticism, everyone knows that Ron Bell was a stain, but why are you focused on that vs the good things he has done? A lot of what you’re knocking him for are / have been out of his control. You want to win more recruiting battles for 5 stars, donate to a collective. You want to improve our facilities, buy season tickets, make a donation.

Like I always say, it helps to educate yourself a bit before you tear down our program

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow

I don't think you can tell a top recruit that Tech can make you the next Moses, Jose, Usher, or James Banks. Top recruits don't want to be undrafted free agents struggling for playing time in the G-league.

SCjacket1

Banned
- recruiting has been pathetic. even best players were not high recruits
- recruiting is part of the coaching formula, you have to get players they are not given to you
- appears he puts all his eggs in a few recruits and then fails
- may be because he comes cross as kind of goofy idk
- hope he succeeds but he is not going to without better players
- gt should be able to recruit basketball players, no excuse for always having to do more with less when comes to bball
More 4* talent on the roster now than at any time during Blweit days, whom everyone that has an opinion thinks was a great recruiter. Techs basketball program was in the bottom third of the conf when josh took over. Tech was not a quick fix. NCAA basketball is not the same game bobby coached. He has built a solid foundation and is letting that growth work for him. Patients grasshopper.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
More 4* talent on the roster now than at any time during Blweit days, whom everyone that has an opinion thinks was a great recruiter. Techs basketball program was in the bottom third of the conf when josh took over. Tech was not a quick fix. NCAA basketball is not the same game bobby coached. He has built a solid foundation and is letting that growth work for him. Patients grasshopper.
I agree with you about patience with Pastner. Paul Hewitt recruited more talent than Pastner so far. The 2004 team 4*s, included BJ Elder, Jarret Jack, Anthony McHenry, Marvin Lewis, Isma'll Muhammad, and Will Bynum. Luke Schencher, Clarence Moore, and Mario West were not 4* but were talented. Paul Hewitt's teams really slipped after his better assistants moved on to head coaching jobs. Hewitt's Clogged Toilet Offense became famous for failure to inbound the ball and standing around waiting for someone to do something on offense.

StingU2

Jolly Good Fellow
Complete B.S

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Therein lies the problem. You come on here blasting away and you’re not educated on many aspects.

If you’re not aware of the fact that the deck has been stacked against us with the money game, that’s on you. It has been clearly documented. Our athletic department was struggling prior to COVID, now we can barely keep the lights on.

And Yes, many of those programs have excellent facilities. Wake’s donors have showered them $$, Chris Paul donated $2.5 million himself. Clemson and Tennessee football has their budgets looking nice.

No one here is saying that Josh is free of criticism, everyone knows that Ron Bell was a stain, but why are you focused on that vs the good things he has done? A lot of what you’re knocking him for are / have been out of his control. You want to win more recruiting battles for 5 stars, donate to a collective. You want to improve our facilities, buy season tickets, make a donation.

Like I always say, it helps to educate yourself a bit before you tear down our program

whatever - and btw I do donate.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm lstening - who are the guys that you believe suggest recruiting is on the upswing. Trying to learn.
Coach Pastner has done a good job coaching. His recruiting has been sub par, due in part, to his own mistakes and issues.
It appears that he has put those issues behind him. Recruiting appears to be on the upswing and I think he has the basic pieces for a good team Go Jackets!