What's the takeaway with the number of transfers?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
No. His future is still going to be decided by how he does next year and how he recruits the 2021 class.
Agree - next season and the following recruiting class will make or break Pastner.
I view this as an opportunity for Pastner to upgrade the roster for next year and beyond.

None of the players that have entered the portal were likely to play significant minutes next year except Cole.
Sjouland and Price certainly had the opportunity to play a lot the following year if they earned it.

Ideally you need a solid post player (grad transfer or strong freshman (Sotto?) that can hold their own at ACC level immediately). Does not need to be Banks or Lammers, but able to play solid defense, rebound, and score some - this frees Moses to play the '4' most of the time which is more natural for him and swing to the center when situation calls for it.
Beyond that - I hope he can land two other players - a big and a guard .... preferably ones with more than one year eligibility to smooth the transition after next season .... could be players that sit one on transfer or high school player that opens up late for some reason. Unless it is Grad Transfer that he knows would play significant minutes next season, I prefer someone that has more than one year eligibility left.

I see us playing the core 6 that are returning. with Maxwell getting a chance to add depth at guard - plus two other bigs getting significant minutes ... I do not think Meka or Saba are ready to play 25+ minutes a night in the ACC next season so the urgency for next season is to get a big that can (preferably a center with more size than Moses).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pastner has mentioned in the past that he prefers transfers with at least 2 years of eligibility and so far that is what he has brought in.

As far as these transfers I need to wait and see who, if anyone else, transfers out. I was hoping Cole would stay but I understand his rationale and have no issues with it. Also, with the other transfers if he decides the best thing for him is to come back we will likely have a scholarship for him.

Sjolund and Price were potential future rotation players but neither really played this year, so they are not an immediate loss. If they can land transfers or HS players with higher upside then it feels more like a chance to improve the bench after the top 6 or so.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Cole hurts because it effects our depth and experience, the others don't bother me and depending on transfers-in, might be a good thing.
And, I agree with whoever said this has nothing to do with Pastner.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The bench taking a high-colonic begs the question, can a coach establish a "Get Old, Stay Old" program when he doesn't really play a bench? If developmental players are "in the pipe" then can you keep them and develop them but not play them?

On the other hand, the developmental guys have to be good enough top play and not hurt you. And this might be the cutting edge of the matter, that the guys who did not play simply are not going to be ACC players.

If recruiting is on the upswing, then purging the end of the bench could be what the doctor ordered for roster upgrades. But we will have to wait to see who we bring in. I'm guessing we take two in the Spring?

While the "Get Old, Stay Old" approach makes a lot of sense, I seriously question whether that is actually the approach Pastner prefers. Based on his love of a short rotation I think he would just assume recruit players with one foot in the NBA.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
While the "Get Old, Stay Old" approach makes a lot of sense, I seriously question whether that is actually the approach Pastner prefers. Based on his love of a short rotation I think he would just assume recruit players with one foot in the NBA.
He seems to half believe in "Get Old, Stay Old". Given the effort he expended chasing Wendell Carter and other 1 and done types he looked like he really wanted to jump start the process. And though I don't follow recruiting other than here, I have the impression that he might have slow-played and lost players that could be developed while pursuing the elite talent that was unlikely to come to Tech.

Based on the incoming class it's possible that he's learned and adapted now on the recruiting front, but I share your concern about successfully combining "Get Old, Stay Old" with a short bench.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

What? You can have a short rotation with a youth movement or with the Get Old, Stay Old mindset. We had a short rotation this year because our bench wasn't very good. You can also have a deep rotation even if you go with one and dones.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You can have a short rotation with a youth movement or with the Get Old, Stay Old mindset.
Mike-Brey-Coaching-Notre-Dame-Win-Father-Died.jpg

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
True, Brey only played 7 guys significant minutes. And looking back, that is not unusual for them. If he makes it work then it can be done!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Same with UVA. Guys on both teams were generally (not always) content to develop out of sight till their turn. We either didn't sell it well or we wiffed on selecting kids who had ACC potential.

Either way it is hard to see the stay old part being a key tenent going forward

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Same with UVA. Guys on both teams were generally (not always) content to develop out of sight till their turn. We either didn't sell it well or we wiffed on selecting kids who had ACC potential.

You can also question whether we had the credibility to sell it in the first place with no day 1 track record.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

No matter what philosophy a coach takes to build their team there will always be years where it doesn't work out. ND was very young last year.

We were old this year. We look to be staying old next year. We'll struggle a bit with being that for 2 years because we only had Price in the current freshman class, but we also have 3 open scholarships to play with. Keep in mind the current seniors would have been Okogie's class. The fact that none of them lasted beyond their sophomore year here didn't stop us from being fairly old this year.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
No matter what philosophy a coach takes to build their team there will always be years where it doesn't work out. ND was very young last year.

We were old this year. We look to be staying old next year. We'll struggle a bit with being that for 2 years because we only had Price in the current freshman class, but we also have 3 open scholarships to play with. Keep in mind the current seniors would have been Okogie's class. The fact that none of them lasted beyond their sophomore year here didn't stop us from being fairly old this year.

That's why I focused on the "stay old" part. We are old and will be next year. After that it is hard to see us being an upper class dominated team short of transfers. We will step back with regard to being old. Not the end of the world if you can recruit talent but not what was "sold" or what was expected.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That's why I focused on the "stay old" part. We are old and will be next year. After that it is hard to see us being an upper class dominated team short of transfers. We will step back with regard to being old. Not the end of the world if you can recruit talent but not what was "sold" or what was expected.

At most though it's a one year thing though. No matter what philosophy a coach has things will come up and you're not going to have everything work out just like you want every year.

And in any case, we'll have a senior Devoe and Moore if he develops. If we spend one of our open schoalrships this year on a multi year transfer, either grad or sit one to play x, we could very easily have a solid group of three upperclassmen to build on.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think people are also glossing over a few mitigating factors here.

The Ron Bell Situation (regardless of how you feel relative to Josh's culpability was bizarre beyond expectation), it was like the lottery pick of bad juju to have a guy go full on Lisa Nowack on CJP)

The Resulting NCAA punishment hitting us with something so serious that even our notoriously hands off boosters are publicly signaling a willingness to fight the punishment in court and a full throated defense from our AD (typically we put the institute's reputation above athletics and don't fight with the NCAA regardless of how stupid it is [see the 2011 ridiculousness that the NCAA hit us for in both basketball and football, conflating our "scouting" to major violations and the $314 worth of clothes as a bag drop].

Those things have had immeasurable impact to recruiting, not to mention the emotion and mental toll on Coach. The team made a point to say, even in the darkness of this season that happened immediately following our surprise self-ban, that CJP remained positive and held the group together. To suggest otherwise without real data or proof is both detrimental to our program and frankly beneath us.

normant

Georgia Tech Fan
Price is the only one that bothers me. He showed flashes and I thought he might be in the rotation next year
Price is a SG which means he was behind Devoe who had two years remaining and Parham with one year and now Maxwell who I believe will be the better SG. I think he did the same thing that Cole did which is to look for more minutes elsewhere.

wreckmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
As far a CJP's future, he went a long way to cementing it this season. 5th in the conference.
I have always held that if an ACC goes .500 in conference, that team, by definition , is an
NCAA tourney worthy team.

wreckmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
Midtown Jacket: Right on. The NCAA knows who it can pick on. This season's ban would never have occured
to NC, Duke, Kansas or others. GT has known it has a target on its back since, as you mentioned, the Dimarius Thomas
$300 clothing incident.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Midtown Jacket: Right on. The NCAA knows who it can pick on. This season's ban would never have occured
to NC, Duke, Kansas or others. GT has known it has a target on its back since, as you mentioned, the Dimarius Thomas
$300 clothing incident.

The good news is I think our AD and donors are finally positioned to start making noise back. I don’t know that we would ever take the UNC approach of playing the NCAA against the idea of our Accrediting as an institute offering actual classes to actual students who actually take the course, but that we will start amassing a war chest to litigate the issue (both publicly in the press and privately in the courts) if it continues.

Good on us for flexing a bit and finally bowing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk