What's the takeaway with the number of transfers?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Deleted member 2897

Not sure where to put this, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

About the 3 transfers, that's highly unusual for here...especially given we're now in the free and clear with regards to the post season and since we're only losing 1 real contributor. Anybody know what it might be? Does CJP think he's on the hot seat, so he's going to go after some transfers to make a hard run at what might be his final year if it doesn't improve...so he's told these guys they probably won't get any more playing time...or what do you think it is?

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck

About the 3 transfers, that's highly unusual for here...especially given we're now in the free and clear with regards to the post season and since we're only losing 1 real contributor. Anybody know what it might be? Does CJP think he's on the hot seat, so he's going to go after some transfers to make a hard run at what might be his final year if it doesn't improve...so he's told these guys they probably won't get any more playing time...or what do you think it is?
I think it’s primarily modern-day basketball. Kids want to play immediately. I know we have a lot this year, but just about every team has kids transferring now days.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck

Its not a good look for your model of "get old, stay old" to have your recruits that are "projects" transferring, especially one who looked to be staying. Next year should be a tourney team, but these guys are basically saying the Tech program under Pastner doesn't give them what they want. To me the red flag that something is up is if Moore portals. If that happens, we could have an issue because right now he should get significant time if not start next year (I like him better than User)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I think you have to look at each situation separately.

IMO Cole saw there was a good chance he was going to be a back up here and wanted to see what else was out there. I know a lot of people thought with Banks leaving it meant an increased role for him. I'm not sure that means he would have been been a starter though, or rather just a regular backup rotation player. In reality, we recruited two very similar players at the same time and one developed significantly more than the other. It's not a real surprise that Cole transferred in that light imo.

Price I assume is the typical freshman situation where his expectations weren't met, whether it was from playing time, academics, coaching style or whatever.

I have no idea what to make of the Sjolund situation.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I guess this is where we are...so far:

Graduated: Banks, Phillips

Returning: Alvarado, Devoe, Parham, Usher, Wright, Moore, Didenko

Transfer Out: Sjolund, Price, Cole

Signed 2020: Maxwell, Saba, Meka

Total Scholarship Players for 2020-2021: 10

Well, we have room for some transfers. Let's see who Pastner can land this offseason...

Swarm_764

Georgia Tech Fan
With our program's current momentum and looming recruiting sanctions, opening some scholarships by letting the project-type players leave in hopes of immediate playing time is a win-win IMO.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
These transfers create urgency for CJP to secure his future at Tech.

Prior to these transfers being announced, how the team did NEXT year and the NEXT recruiting class would determine CJP’s future.

With three guys in the portal, CJP’s future will be determined by how he does in the spring recruiting and by what transfers we can attract this offseason.

We’ll know much sooner than 2021 on CJP. This offseason is now make or break.

/

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
With three guys in the portal, CJP’s future will be determined by how he does in the spring recruiting and by what transfers we can attract this offseason.

No. His future is still going to be decided by how he does next year and how he recruits the 2021 class.

Deleted member 2897

Returning: Alvarado, Devoe, Parham, Usher, Wright, Moore, Didenko
Signed 2020: Maxwell, Saba, Meka

Total Scholarship Players for 2020-2021: 10

Well, we have room for some transfers. Let's see who Pastner can land this offseason...
247's national rating:
Maxwell: 212
Saba: 91
Meka: 136

That gives us 5 guys on our roster inside the top 150
Alvarado: #130 (Rivals)
Devoe: #60
Usher: #135

6 of our top 7 guys are back, losing only Banks.

If you had heard we'd lose 3 guys to transfer, who here thought Didenko wouldn't be one? :D

This is a great roster of 6+3 (sorry Didenko), but with 5 guards, it cries out for more big men. Hopefully we can find at least 2 in the transfer portal in that regard. Feels like even with Saba's potential, we could really benefit from a steady hand inside.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This is a great roster of 6+3 (sorry Didenko), but with 5 guards, it cries out for more big men. Hopefully we can find at least 2 in the transfer portal in that regard. Feels like even with Saba's potential, we could really benefit from a steady hand inside.

5 guards? Of the 6 you posted 2 are bigs, Meka and Saba, and 1 is a wing, Usher. Plus there is Moses who has certainly produced like a top 150 recruit this year.

Deleted member 2897

5 guards? Of the 6 you posted 2 are bigs, Meka and Saba, and 1 is a wing, Usher. Plus there is Moses who has certainly produced like a top 150 recruit this year.

Right, but Meka and Saba will both be true freshman. Sorry, I counted Moses as a guard - he is in his mind. :D

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I think being a true freshman is made out to be a bigger deal than it is. If we're starting 3 seniors, a junior, and a freshman we will still be fine.
Yeah, I’m with you on this. It seems like half the NCAA is freshman anymore.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
No. His future is still going to be decided by how he does next year and how he recruits the 2021 class.

We need another player for next year - an ACC level big. Either he attracts a player or next year disappoints.

This off-season has become critical.

/

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We need another player for next year - an ACC level big. Either he attracts a player or next year disappoints.

This off-season has become critical.

/

If you think that next year will disappoint for sure unless we add an ACC level big then the off-season was always critical. Cole wasn't the answer.

Regardless, as long as we return Jose, Mike, and Moses we'll be a good team next year. The loss of non rotation players isn't really changing that.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Thought it was actually a good question as it clearly has some interest, so I split this into its own thread. Boo me.

Deleted member 2897

Thought it was actually a good question as it clearly has some interest, so I split this into its own thread. Boo me.

I asked a decent question? Please tell my wife - about once a year or so I make a positive contribution somewhere.